monki again sorry about this people HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monki again sorry about this people HELP

hi all struggles to start in a morning,heres what ive done,changed glow plugs,diesel filter,crack of the injectors like i was told just incase of air was fine the first morning but now havin the same problem,pump the primer and it starts and runs well just seem that if its left over night then struggle to start
    changed the primer that was knackerd could not get one so put a little hand pump, garage said thats was as good and did the same job also put a none return valve to try and stop the diesel returning not a clue just what someone told me.
    monki
    new suicidal surfer

O.K. when you switch on ignition do you hear a clunk just before the beep to tell you to start the engine?
    I'm thinking it's the glowplug relay thats not heating the glowplugs, making for the difficult starting.
    Does it start easier when the engine is warm?
    Does your fuel cap hiss when you unscrew it?

Comment

Having read your other thread and this one you said you had success when you charged up the battery, but no luck the next time. Whats the chances your battery is a duffer or the alternator isnt charging it??? Is the battery light showing on the dash? That would probably mean an alternator not charging.

Have you put a voltmeter across the terminals ... you want 12.6volts for a good read and anything less is reason for more enquiry. For an even better idea of the battery's condition you want to test it as someone turns the ignition key, if it dips below 12.6 then you might want a new battery.

(Also the primer swop job the garage did sounds like a real bodger! You mean they couldnt find a similar primer on any toyota in any s****yard? )
      Last edited by JimL; 23 October 2005, 21:27.

Comment

sounds to me like your still getting air into the system when it's stood over night. have you tried turning it over for a few short bursts (3-4 secs) at a time and then leaveing it for a few minuites. then try it again. i had an old kawasaki once that was a bitch to start from cold and also when the fuel tank ran down to reserve, turned out it was air getting into the system and you had to 'pump' the fuel through via the method i have said to prime it all up. once it was running it was fine. i know it's a different type of machine, but you're better off checking the 'cheaper' solutions first before you throw wads of cash at it!
        good luck.
        andy

Comment

Monki,

I am still under the impression that your problem is air.. I have just caught up on the threads (been ill for a few days so not been on)... You said in the last thread that the it was fine when you bled the injectors.. This almost confirms it.. The fact that it went again the next day makes me agree with other threads that you have air coming into the system from somewhere.. I am less inclined to think it is a alternator/battery problem.. I think the only reason your battery went flat was from trying to start it.. I personally would disregard that... Glow plugs? not 100% sure but doubt this would have anything to do with it if priming the engine starts it - pushing more fuel into the system doesn't warm the engine, (anyone feel free to correct me if wrong). I would say there is a small hole in one of your pipes that is drawing air, This was mentioned by kitesurf phil in the prev thread, If the hole is small enough, it might not draw in enough air to stop the engine whilst runnung but when left overnight it would cause problems in the morning, one place to try straight away it the fuel filter, if it has been cross threaded there might be a small leak around the seal, this would cause problems you are describing, If thats ok chech the filter casing, make sure there are no dents which could have a small hole in, if all is well there its a case of checking each pipe in turn, this will be a quite ling winded excercise but i think you will find the route of the problem. I say check the filter first as this will be easiest after that go through all the fuel pipes

Hope this helps

Joe
          Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

if the primer on top of the filter don't work I would start there???????????
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

air in diesel line

Originally posted by monki
              hi all struggles to start in a morning,heres what ive done,changed glow plugs,diesel filter,crack of the injectors like i was told just incase of air was fine the first morning but now havin the same problem,pump the primer and it starts and runs well just seem that if its left over night then struggle to start
              changed the primer that was knackerd could not get one so put a little hand pump, garage said thats was as good and did the same job also put a none return valve to try and stop the diesel returning not a clue just what someone told me.
              monki
              new suicidal surfer
              A deisel fitter friend of mine always had the same prob with fords so he would put clear fuel lines to the filer and then to the pump that way you can see if it is sucking air in and where and found that the easiest cure was to fit two none return valves on the fuel lines one in the pipe from the tank to the filter and one in the pipe from the filter to the pump that way the fuel stays there and is easy to start??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                O.K. when you switch on ignition do you hear a clunk just before the beep to tell you to start the engine?
                I'm thinking it's the glowplug relay thats not heating the glowplugs, making for the difficult starting.
                Does it start easier when the engine is warm?
                Does your fuel cap hiss when you unscrew it?
                hiya
                well took it to a garage they found it was a washer on one of the injectors.they say now that the boost is only giving out 7 psi when it should be 15 any ideas.also the engine check light does not come on any ideas,i last thing the light to tell you to start the engine goes out very quick after about 2 seconds if i leave it a bit longer it beeps then it stars great is that normal?
                thank ya

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
                  Monki,

I am still under the impression that your problem is air.. I have just caught up on the threads (been ill for a few days so not been on)... You said in the last thread that the it was fine when you bled the injectors.. This almost confirms it.. The fact that it went again the next day makes me agree with other threads that you have air coming into the system from somewhere.. I am less inclined to think it is a alternator/battery problem.. I think the only reason your battery went flat was from trying to start it.. I personally would disregard that... Glow plugs? not 100% sure but doubt this would have anything to do with it if priming the engine starts it - pushing more fuel into the system doesn't warm the engine, (anyone feel free to correct me if wrong). I would say there is a small hole in one of your pipes that is drawing air, This was mentioned by kitesurf phil in the prev thread, If the hole is small enough, it might not draw in enough air to stop the engine whilst runnung but when left overnight it would cause problems in the morning, one place to try straight away it the fuel filter, if it has been cross threaded there might be a small leak around the seal, this would cause problems you are describing, If thats ok chech the filter casing, make sure there are no dents which could have a small hole in, if all is well there its a case of checking each pipe in turn, this will be a quite ling winded excercise but i think you will find the route of the problem. I say check the filter first as this will be easiest after that go through all the fuel pipes

Hope this helps

Joe
                  hiya
                  well took it to a garage they found it was a washer on one of the injectors.they say now that the boost is only giving out 7 psi when it should be 15 any ideas.also the engine check light does not come on any ideas,i last thing the light to tell you to start the engine goes out very quick after about 2 seconds if i leave it a bit longer it beeps then it stars great is that normal?
                  thank ya

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    if the primer on top of the filter don't work I would start there???????????
                    hiya
                    thank ya

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcrofts
                      sounds to me like your still getting air into the system when it's stood over night. have you tried turning it over for a few short bursts (3-4 secs) at a time and then leaveing it for a few minuites. then try it again. i had an old kawasaki once that was a bitch to start from cold and also when the fuel tank ran down to reserve, turned out it was air getting into the system and you had to 'pump' the fuel through via the method i have said to prime it all up. once it was running it was fine. i know it's a different type of machine, but you're better off checking the 'cheaper' solutions first before you throw wads of cash at it!
                      good luck.
                      andy
                      hiya
                      thank ya

Comment

Boost pressure is normal at 7psi, and the glowplug light will only come on for 2 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                          Boost pressure is normal at 7psi, and the glowplug light will only come on for 2 seconds.
                          hi
                          its just seems flat no power as such,ok wants it gets going,they say the timin could be out just a touch on the desiel pump?
                          thanks
                          ian

Comment

Originally posted by monki
                            hi
                            its just seems flat no power as such,ok wants it gets going,they say the timin could be out just a touch on the desiel pump?
                            thanks
                            ian
                            mate they are not the fastest things in the world

You could update your profile too then surfers nearby might be able to help...
                            Tim
                            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                              mate they are not the fastest things in the world

You could update your profile too then surfers nearby might be able to help...
                              hi
                              profile updated,
                              i no there not the fastest thing on the road but when i put my foot down nothing at all happens it just dies one me

Comment

Working...
                              X