X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake oil pump part 2

hi guys/gals thanks for your previous help in this topic

HERE

well i picked the truck up on the 7th sept, all seemed well then a few days later the warning lights would briefly flicker on again, the same lights that illuminated when the pump failed.

coolant level......timing belt......brake......battery

and i noticed little blobs of oil on the drive after parking, i put the oil spots down to remaining oil sat in the sump guard, and the intermittant lights down to a loose wire.

yesterday driving back from Silverstone, the warning lights came on 4 times, each time for a longer period.....

i made it home fine, and thought nothing of it, this morning, soon as the truck was started the lights were on, and didnt extinguish.

i checked the oil, and found it to be low, so this evening i have tried in vain to find out what the hell is going on, the leak isnt obvious, it seems to be driping from the mounting braket for the pump/alternator ,BUT its only drips when the engine is off!!, soon as the engine is started and the area cleaned it stays clean, soon as the engine is stopped it starts leaking again, but only for a short period.

regarding the lights, there still on......

coolant level is fine, the brake obviously is released to drive, and the voltage guage top right of the cluster is reading approx 14v

however after taking the truck for a quick drive this evening(lights on) to try and see what is going on, and finding nothing i returned, i switched of the engine, but it failed to retsrt as the starter was chattering.......low battery voltage??????

what the hell is going on.........please help (a bad 2 months of Hilux ownership)

should the original garage be responsable for at least sorting the remaining oil leak?
    Mat..

All things Lexus...ask moi

Normally a fawked alternator lights up all those lights, and seeing as its not charging and the battery is flat, I'd say that was the problem.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks...did a search after posting...and it does seem that that is probable....

any idea of a cost for the alternator, are there any relays or fuses i can check first?
      Mat..

Comment

The Alternator has died and is not charging the batteries.The lights on dash are a sure sign of this. I replaced the Alternator in my 2.4 with a 2.8 Alternator which I got from an Auto Electrician.Maybe you can get the same over there.The brand name was Revolution and I believe they are made in New Zealand.An aftermarket replacement for a 2.8 should be fairly easy to get.They come with a new Vacum Pump as well so you may cure the oil leak at the same time.One thing to look for when removing and replacing the oil lines on the Vacuum Pump is the little copper washers on the banjo fittings.There is two for each fitting.One on top between bolt and fitting and one under between fitting and block or pump.Oil leaks will occur if not fitted correctly.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Monster-Mat
          coolant level......timing belt......brake......battery
          The light on left is the Fuel Filter warning light.It lets you know when water is present in bottom of filter and needs draining.Water is very bad for injectors.

Neville

Comment

thanks for the info.....i hope the new alternator DOESNT come with a new pump, considering i just bought a new pump from toyota
            Mat..

Comment

Any local auto-electrics place should be able to re-con your one.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster-Mat
                i hope the new alternator DOESNT come with a new pump, considering i just bought a new pump from toyota
                How much did they charge for that? You could have had a New Alternator and a New Vacuum Pump for probably a lot less than you paid for the Pump alone.The Alternator brushes, bearings and seals should always be checked at the same time if anything goes wrong with the pump.If you have oil leaking again after replacing the pump then whoever did the job has botched it up.

Neville
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 4 October 2005, 10:13.

Comment

ive managed to get a new alternator from Toyota for £146.

the oil pump cost £545

it looks like the oil is leaking from the alternator, below where the oil fed goes into it, the actual inleet is dry as is the joint around the pump/alternator
                  Mat..

Comment

Working...
                  X