black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black smoke

I have a 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4 TDEFI 2LTE engine. The cylinder head got roasted and cracked. Bought a reconditioned cylinder head and put it back together. It started perfect and will idle all day long, when I rev it from idle it gives out a puff of black smoke, but then clears. When I take it for a run it gets 200 yards, then black smoke belches from the exhaust and it looses power before cutting out. When trying to start straight after the engine turns over really fast and it wont start. If I leave it for 2mins it starts no problem and will do all of the above again. The only fault code that comes up is 11. I have checked the following:
    1. Timing is fine;
    2. Injectors have been checked and are fine;
    3. EGR valve has been changed and is fine;
    4. Turbo has been changed twice and is fine;
    5. Crank shaft sensor has been changed and is fine;
    6. Timer control valve has been checked and seems to be ok;
    7. Vaccum pipes have been checked and are fine;
    8. Fuel filter and air filter have been changed;
    9. Ball bearing in egr vaccum pipe been tryed
    I have ran out of ideas any help would be very much appreciated!!
    Last edited by brian gillies; 24 September 2005, 00:31.

try a search on Ebay for "ball bearing"
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

black smoke

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      try a search on Ebay for "ball bearing"
      been there done that but thanx anyway

Comment

Could be air in the fuel.

Comment

air in fuel

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Could be air in the fuel.
          I have fitted clear fuel pipe to and from the pump and can see no air bubbles.
          I have also fitted a new filter head and followed fuel lines back to the tank.
          Someone did say it seamed like it was not getting any air.

Comment

When you say it turns over really fast when you try and start it, it sounds like a compression problem to me, or the pump is supplying too much fuel, or at the wrong time. Maybe the pump timing is a tooth out?

Comment

black smoke

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]When you say it turns over really fast when you try and start it, it sounds like a compression problem to me, or the pump is supplying too much fuel, or at the wrong time. Maybe the pump timing is a tooth out?[/Q
              Would it run ok on idle & on high revs? You can hold it at 4000rpm and there is no smoke and it doesnt cut out. It seems to be when it is under load.

Comment

Yep, it will idle and probably hold a sustained throttle position. but it's the varying throttle positions that you need correct fuel pump timing.
                There should be a sensor plugged into the elbow that comes out of the lid of the air filter, this is the airflow sensor, is yours present and plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Yep, it will idle and probably hold a sustained throttle position. but it's the varying throttle positions that you need correct fuel pump timing.
                  There should be a sensor plugged into the elbow that comes out of the lid of the air filter, this is the airflow sensor, is yours present and plugged in?
                  Yes the airflow sensor is plugged in.

P.S. I hate this car

Comment

Sounds a bit like your TPS throttle position sensor is playing up, read this for more info. http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...&highlight=tps and http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...20Location.pdf

Comment

black smoke

Originally posted by andy
                      Sounds a bit like your TPS throttle position sensor is playing up, read this for more info. http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...&highlight=tps and http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...20Location.pdf
                      Can the throttle position sensor be tested ?

Comment

Originally posted by brian gillies
                        Can the throttle position sensor be tested ?
                        It tells you how to test it, read the thread of the 1st link.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                          It tells you how to test it, read the thread of the 1st link.
                          I cant get access to the web link you sent me. I have tried to register but cant get access. Can you help me ?

many thanx

Comment

at least you don`t have to remove it to test it just un plug the connector and put a meter on
                            Code:
                            the TPS is a black round thing on the side of the throttle housing on the opposite side to the throttle cable. they can play up if you get them wet or even from old age. to find out how they work and how to test them look at www.autoshop101.com technical articles 24 and 33. these are from petrol EFI engines
                            but the diesel versions will be very close if not identical.
                            Thats from an 2003 thread about cutting out found it after tapping TPS in search Hope it helps.....now can anybody help me with the "quote" button

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                              Code:
                              the TPS is a black round thing on the side of the throttle housing on the opposite side to the throttle cable. they can play up if you get them wet or even from old age. to find out how they work and how to test them look at www.autoshop101.com technical articles 24 and 33. these are from petrol EFI engines
                              Thats from an 2003 thread about cutting out found it after tapping TPS in search Hope it helps.....now can anybody help me with the "quote" button
                              if you click reply, it will "quote" the text you are replying to... if you want to "quote" something else, then highlight the text and click the "speech bubble" (quote buton) in the menu.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X