New head but still smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head but still smoking

I've just purchased a new head, which I've just fitted along with a new timing belt, (I've double checked the timing marks), the problem now is the amount of smoke from the exhaust, I guess it may be the diesel timing or something else ? Has anyone any idea how to set the timing up?

Originally posted by JPP
    I've just purchased a new head, which I've just fitted along with a new timing belt, (I've double checked the timing marks), the problem now is the amount of smoke from the exhaust, I guess it may be the diesel timing or something else ? Has anyone any idea how to set the timing up?
    Did it smoke before fitting head? There's not normally any need to alter the timing, as long as the T/belt was fitting OK, it should be how it was before. What colour is the smoke, could be the vacuum lines not hooked up properly.

Hows it running apart from the smoke, is the turbo light coming on?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Lots and lots of white smoke, after the new head was fitted (old head had cracks between valve seats and pressurised the water system), the T/belt is fitted correctly as per the marks on the pulley wheels etc. The engine starts OK, and the turbo does work. I may have put the vacuum lines in incorrectly.
      On the right side of the engine are two rubber pipes going to two metal pipes, I have tried swapping them but with no effect.

Comment

I've checked the head again,all appears OK. Started the engine and still loads of smoke and neet oil from the exhaust. I guess it must be a piston ring gone?
        Any ither ideas before I go any further?

Comment

Originally posted by JPP
          I've checked the head again,all appears OK. Started the engine and still loads of smoke and neet oil from the exhaust. I guess it must be a piston ring gone?
          Any ither ideas before I go any further?
          seems like you have problems between the head and the block mate' i would say u may have damaged the gasket '' sounds like oil and water seeping into the combustion chamber,, did it smoke before ? if not its not the rings ? is there residue in the oil ? ..... always make sure the head is neatly put back after dismantling remeber these are pretty heavy heads to lift on and off '' possibility you have scored the gasket ??
          if at first you dont succeed..... bollock

Comment

Working...
          X