My Surf is leaking god knows what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Surf is leaking god knows what?

Hiya helpful people. Maybe you can help me again. Had the surf for three weeks now and everything seems to be going ok. Just changed the filters and oil and had a wee oil leak for a few days before i realized i hadnt put a new o-ring on the oil sump plug. That fixed that but now there is another leak!!

It seems to leak for about an hour after using the car and then stops, so not really leaking much fluid at all. The fluid is VERY clear and doesnt smell at all. Not diesel, not engine oil. The gearbox dipstick reveals reddy/brown stuff, and the power steering and brake fluid are light yellow and browny oil. It is warm but not hot to the touch and doesnt feel that oily but it obviously is. as you can see from the pics it is coming down BOTH side of the transmission housing (am i right? dont know too much about cars, yet!) by the oil sump.

It is obviously from a system under pressure as it only leaks when i drive. All the fluid levels are to their perfect levels and dont seem to be dropping at all although i am keeping an eye on them. I also cannot find it from above in the engine bay (ive looked for hours!!)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. The car is fab, no smoke no overheating, smooth changes, everything works really well.

What the hell is leaking from my car. It is definitely oil, make no mistake about it, it is not water from the air con etc.

If the pics are crap and you want better ones just say and i will go and get better ones.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!
    Attached Files
    [SIZE=4]Benjami

Brake fluid?????
    I see you've got one of the extremely rare 2.5 engined Surfs..............
    So it could be your 'Flux capacitor' leaking!
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 6 July 2005, 19:37.

Comment

lol
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

DOH!! cheers for that. Just changed it on my profile. Thanks.
        Where do you think the fluid would be coming from though. Ive checked out the pipe where it transfers over to the nearside wheel from the master cylinder and it it looks fine!
        [SIZE=4]Benjami

Comment

If it dosen't smell and its clear it's most likely to brake fluid.
          Have you checked the brake line connections? 'cos if it is brake fluid, it's probably squirting out from somewhere when you press the pedal, and away from where it's dripping.
          Does this make sense?

Comment

im guessing uv checked all the levels to make sure nothings down? if its brake fluid ud be able to tell by touch! it feels like oil without the smell! also u would mebe be able to feel it through the brake pedal if it sinks???? tho it will sink abit anyway cos of the brake servo pump! if everything seems ok after checkin those, could it mebe be as simple as the aircon??? draining its water?

Comment

and jst to add! im not familiar with the hilux surf tho i am a mechanic and in the process of buying my first surf! so ull prob be hearing alot from me :-)

Comment

Have you been running the air con , as maybe the drain off tube in bulkhead for the condensation to go out .

Brakefluid is a bit slippery when rubbed between fingures and has always had a smell to it . I dought it is brake fluid as you would notice a lack of pedal pressure .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I never have my aircon on as its crap. I will get it re-gassed some time soon though.

I think
                  you are probably right about the brake fluid texture but the level is right at the top and it doesnt feel spongy and the wheels etc are dry as a bone.

I am going to have a really good look this weekend and find it!! I will keep you all posted, thanks for all your help...
                  [SIZE=4]Benjami

Comment

It might be worth seeing if you can get the engine bay steam cleaned, then you would have a much better chance of seeing where any leaks are coming from.
                    Mike G

Comment

if its leaking after running its possible its the oil pressure switch leaking? i know this isnt the done thing and will be called wierd but brake fluid tastes a bit like ear wax!!( told you im weird!!) but if your levels aint going down its unlikely to be that... is it any particular colour red or brown does it evaporate quickly??
                      DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                      X