Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temperature

Hi all

sorry to trouble you, but can anyone advise. my 1993 2.4 ssr-x (purchased March 2004) has always run with the temperature just below half-but recently it has sometimes risen to halfway between half and the bottom of the red. the fan kicks in and reduces it, but it can then keep moving up and down-it hasn't yet got anywhere near the red itself. have checked coolant and radiator is full. have checked overflow tank when hot, and none apppears to be coming from radiator cap.cant see any obvious leaks. on cold startup, no dicernable problems with white smoke. could it be the dreaded "head"

any suggestions please.

many thanks, shaun
    Surfer Dud(e) !!

Originally posted by shauny
    Hi all

sorry to trouble you, but can anyone advise. my 1993 2.4 ssr-x (purchased March 2004) has always run with the temperature just below half-but recently it has sometimes risen to halfway between half and the bottom of the red. the fan kicks in and reduces it, but it can then keep moving up and down-it hasn't yet got anywhere near the red itself. have checked coolant and radiator is full. have checked overflow tank when hot, and none apppears to be coming from radiator cap.cant see any obvious leaks. on cold startup, no dicernable problems with white smoke. could it be the dreaded "head"

any suggestions please.

many thanks, shaun
    Sounds like a blocked rad or stuck thermostat, sort it sharpish before it is the dreaded head. They don't like getting hot!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

As Tony says... get the rad thoroughly flushed, get all the crud out of it... check for cold/hot spots...

Check the thermostat is actually doing what it is supposed to, by boiling it in a (old) saucepan... check that it opens at the designated temperature with a thermometer, I think someone has previosuly posted the image from the Aus manual that describes the process... get yourself a Toyota branded thermostat... slightly better made than the pattern parts.

I gave up with my rad after it had already been patched up once... got a 'new' one made up... never looked back... Mind you, I'm paranoid now that the temperature needle never moves, other than reaching operating temp...

Comment

When the engine is cold, start the thing up and take the rad cap off, if you get wet feet, start looking for Stevo on this site, if the water stays in, then check the thermostat.
        Or, take it to a garage and hold your breath!
        Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

I would check that the rad fins aren't blocked. Mine was doing the same until I removed what looked like coconut matting and sand from between the fins ( and carefully straightened the bent ones with a tiny pair of long nosed pliars).
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
            As... Mind you, I'm paranoid now that the temperature needle never moves, other than reaching operating temp...
            That is why I have a second gauge complete with independant sender.

I do not trust the toyota "3 position" gauge
            1. Cold
            2. Just under 1/2
            3. Too late, heads f.....
            Simon.O.
            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
            X