confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NiftyNev
    Yep.They will start without the glow plugs working.This can vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on condition of engine.If you had a worn engine with low compression then it may not start.The 80 amp fuse is only for the glow plugs.

Neville
    Thanks NiftyNev I appreciate the help I have asked SilverSurfer if it is something thet is down to my local garage as they fitted new glow plugs a while back, if not is it something I can fix myself and if so how?
    thanks Shiny

Comment

Originally posted by shiny
      Thanks Silversurfer that clears it up,, would the fact that I had new glow plugs a while back fitted by my local garage, would the problem be down to them fixing it, or is it something I could fix myself? if so please would you advise..Thanks Shiny
      Yes the most likely cause, assuming that the glow circuit was OK before, is that the garage have damaged the insulators or fitted them wrongly (as they would have had to remove the rail to change the plugs), allowing the supply rail to short out on the block/manifold. I have a 3lt Surf - not sure if the 2.4lt glow setup is the same but maybe some of the others with 2.4's who posted could advise you on fixing it - although I suspect they will be awkward to get at.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

The insulator setup is as follows.

Insulator with raised centre upwards
        Glow plug rail
        Wiring terminals
        Insulator with recessed centre down so it covers the raised centre of first insulator.
        Washer and nut.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          The insulator setup is as follows.

Insulator with raised centre upwards
          Glow plug rail
          Wiring terminals
          Insulator with recessed centre down so it covers the raised centre of first insulator.
          Washer and nut.

Neville
          I'm following this post as I have a similar problem - but I am confused.

My glow plugs do not work and there's a warning light on the dash which says there's a short circuit. I have just now checked to see if I've wired it up wrong but I don't see that I have (remember I changed the engine last month). The top part (on the inlet manifold) has blue insulator, metal strip to glow plugs, black coutersunk insulator, washer then nut; The lover one (on the underside of the inlet manifold) has raised insulator, wire with large hole, insulator with integrated washer, wire with small hole and nut.

Have I got it wrong somewhere??

HELP!

Ash

Comment

Fuse problem still

Hi Shiny here
            I have drawn a blank on this problem, the garage that fitted my new glow plugs for 2.4 Surf 1990 won't accept any responsability, and they say the metal bar has a plastic coating on it, also its been 3 months ago, I am ok whilst the weather is warm but come the cold, I will have to try and solve this problem, the garage put a meter on the fuse section and every time it starts up it blows, so no point in putting in another new fuse as it gets expensive, I may have to take it to Toyota and get them to solve it..

any other ideas,

thanks shiny

Comment

shiny

Ask if anyone on this forum is near you and has experience with the Glow Plug rail and how it's fitted.I'm almost 100% sure your mechanic has got it wrong if the fuse is blowing.This will be better than being ripped off by Toyota for a 5 minute job.

Neville

Comment

Working...
              X