Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil from Inlet Manifold

More bad news?

Had complete new engine in January, so hoping that would be the end of my worries. But over last couple weeks its started smoking (Black) whilst under load also quite a large cloud (grey) on start up. Before Morr jumps in I have trawled posts and have just done the EGR Mod. Also had alot of oil in the air intake pipes so these have been cleaned and the breather pipe blanked off and the rocker cover pipe conected to a catch bottle. There was also an oil leak from top of engine which I first thought was coming from the breather pipe and dripping down. However it is actually comming from the Inlet manifold! There shouldn't be any oil in there surely?

What I am hoping is that its the crap from pre egr mod/ breather contamination leaking out, how ever if oils leaking out then its obviosly not air tight either.

Just hoping its not turbo seals couldn't feel any play in the impeller.

Any ideas chaps?

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Originally posted by Esamed
    More bad news?

Had complete new engine in January, so hoping that would be the end of my worries. But over last couple weeks its started smoking (Black) whilst under load also quite a large cloud (grey) on start up. Before Morr jumps in I have trawled posts and have just done the EGR Mod. Also had alot of oil in the air intake pipes so these have been cleaned and the breather pipe blanked off and the rocker cover pipe conected to a catch bottle. There was also an oil leak from top of engine which I first thought was coming from the breather pipe and dripping down. However it is actually comming from the Inlet manifold! There shouldn't be any oil in there surely?

What I am hoping is that its the crap from pre egr mod/ breather contamination leaking out, how ever if oils leaking out then its obviosly not air tight either.

Just hoping its not turbo seals couldn't feel any play in the impeller.

Any ideas chaps?

Steve
    If your EGR is jammed open, the mod won't help you, it'll be getting exhaust gas all the time.

Oil in the intake after blocking the breather can be only one thing, Turbo seals. Are you sure the leak isn't from the rocker cover gasket, this where motor normally leak, also Surfs sometime get a small oil leak between the head and block. but it does no harm.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      If your EGR is jammed open, the mod won't help you, it'll be getting exhaust gas all the time.

Oil in the intake after blocking the breather can be only one thing, Turbo seals. Are you sure the leak isn't from the rocker cover gasket, this where motor normally leak, also Surfs sometime get a small oil leak between the head and block. but it does no harm.

Thanks Tony.

Can EGR be fixed, or is it a replacement?

I was hoping that it was Rocker cover but after I cleaned it all up then took it for a blast the was a small run from the bottom corner of the inlet manifold cylinder 1.

So its a re-con turbo then, does stevo do these?

I thought motorcycling was a licence to print money but I think this Surf has surpassed that, going to be paying for it years to come.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
        Thanks Tony.

Can EGR be fixed, or is it a replacement?

I was hoping that it was Rocker cover but after I cleaned it all up then took it for a blast the was a small run from the bottom corner of the inlet manifold cylinder 1.

So its a re-con turbo then, does stevo do these?

I thought motorcycling was a licence to print money but I think this Surf has surpassed that, going to be paying for it years to come.

Steve
        Dunno about sorting the turbo, sorry, but don't just go and replace it my say so, it could be something else, its had to definatly pin something down just over the forum. But if your intake is clean up to the turbo, and oily after its likely to be the turbo seals.

If I was you I'd remove the EGR completely, and make a blanking plate for exhaust, then you definatly know its not letting anything into the intake.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Air intake from rocker breather to turbo had a river of oil in it, was clean from filter to breather junction. haven't taken off the pipes on output from turbo yet. After doing around 5 miles a small amount of oil was produced in my catch bottle( very small ).
          Obviously this oil would have been drawn thru the turbo and on into the inlet manifold, I hope.
          got a week off work and as i run a precision engineering company can feel a homers being done in the way of a blanking plate.

Only time will tell.

Question, been asked before why is oil being pumped out of the rocker breather?

May have to book it in with your R & D division before I set fire to it.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

Comment

Its actually called a PCV hose. Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Basically its to let air pressure out of the top of the engine. Prevents seals from going. Unfortunatley, the by-product of this is oil in you air inlet hose. I'm gonna put an air/oil separator in mine when i can find a container to suit.
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Working...
            X