• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good
    Glad i'm not alone!
    Cheers andy
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

I just got a manual boost controller from my local halfords for £15, why are people saying they will save up for a boost controller in this thread?

Comment

Ems and Jim

Read your post with interest but I noticed the following.

Diesels are the opposite of petrols, the leaner you run them the cooler they run.

2LTE engines have an over boost controller that cuts in at around 14-15 psi so as not to allow over boosting.

Also if you increase the boost the CPU compensates by increasing the fuel supply to the injectors.

If I am wrong please correct me.

Frank

Comment

Just something I left out of my previous thread.

Do not do any modifications without fitting a Boost Guage.

Frank

Comment

Well i use my Hilux for everday and it runs 13/14psi everytime.Turbo feels powerfull and doesnt drop any oil.I have a bobbox chip and intercooler fitted. i would really like to give it a go over 14psi.im planning of changing the turbo to a garrett component but dont know which to choose. i think the turbo from the sr20det might be brilliant since its small and ball bearing unit.

Comment

Just done this modification. So far so good and seems to make a difference. Used 2 x 2mm washers as it's all i had. Maybe i'll upgrade to 3mm one day!!!!!!!!
              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Originally posted by smithsurf
                Just done this modification. So far so good and seems to make a difference. Used 2 x 2mm washers as it's all i had. Maybe i'll upgrade to 3mm one day!!!!!!!!
                forum search is good aint it.
                ill see if this hasnt already been done to mine.
                thing is, mine keeps overboosting in cold weather. i have an adjustable bleed valve ill need to twiddle with. but usually i get 12psi on the gauge. when it goes up to 14 on the odd occasion the red engine check light comes on, so i back off.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hi All,

I've only had my SURF for about 6 weeks, but I did this mod yesterday after fitting a boost gauge.
                  I used a 1.7mm washer and boosted my turbo from 7.5PSI (foot flat to floor) to about 9PSI
                  The result is that the car is a little more responsive, better to pull out of junctions etc.
                  I might try to put another washer in but i'm worried about overboosting - if you do overboost and the engine check light comes on, what do you do? - do you have to reset anything? (assuming the engine and turbo are still in one piece)
                  “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
                  X