Clutch pressure plate disintegrating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pressure plate disintegrating?

Hello All,... after reading many threads and visiting a couple of mechanics, I am hopeful that you can help me eliminate whether I need a new clutch and clutch pressure plate or simply a replacement of the Master and Slave cylinders. I have bleed the system, to no avail,…

The initial symptoms were sticking clutch pedal on release, but now it is still sticking, but in first and reverse gear even with the peddle down (clutch disengaged) it still has drive going to the wheels as if engaged (car creeps forward). I have had a quote of 875 pounds for the replacement of the clutch and pressure plate from Jem, but am not so happy to spend so much if I am unconvinced that the pressure plate has started to disintegrate as they think might be the case. Has anyone had a pressure plate disintegrate or is there an adjustment that I might have missed in the forums for the clutch to overcome this?

I have looked at the firewall and eliminated this, there seems to be no cracks in the peddle box, etc that might cause this.

It is a 1991 J reg (not facelift but still 2nd Generation)

I know there is a wealth of info out there and all thoughts would be much appreciated. I am at presently unemployed (heaps of time) with a average mechanical knowledge, tools and the beloved Haynes manual. If it is the pressure plate I am contemplating doing the job myself, any thoughts re this?

Thanks very much, Happy Surfing!
    Last edited by travellingmac; 11 February 2005, 17:28.
    [B]Travelling Mac[/B]

Yup, I had to do the clutch on mine last year. It was slipping. Its technically easy, just big and heavy. I strapped the gearbox to the jack which was on a 4 wheel bogey
    Worst bolts to get to were the starter motor and top 2 bellhousing bolts.
    Lots of socket extensions helped.
    Its a good idea to do the crankshaft rear oil seal at the same time. Its behind the flywheel, which is really heavy. Care must be taken at all times.
    Milners do the parts.
    Oh, and dont catch the dipstick tube when the 'box is out and the engines floating about!. Its taken me ages to find the oilleak probably caused by me
    Good luck and don't rush it. Took me 2 days

Derek

Comment

I'd change the master cylinder first, Our 2.4 pedal used to stick down when pressing the pedal, its the worn seals turning over in the piston and jamming it down, untill you pull the pedal up with your foot.

If your pressure plate is busted, it'll more likely just slip. If the clutch plate is sticking, to the flywheel you'll never get it in gear with the engine running.

I recently had a clutch plate jam when one of the shock springs fell out, see thread called 'pesky ikkle spring'

Surfs also have 2 part flywheel, which can fall apart leading to juddering when taking up drive.

Its no biggy doing it yourself, i find it easier to do solo if you pull the t/case first, then lower the engine/gearbox on a jack till you can see all the bellhousing bolts from behind the gearbox, block the engine on the sump then use long socket extensions to undo all the bellhousing bolts and pull the gearbox back to get it off.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Guys for this info,… for now I have ordered the Clutch master and slave cylinders from Milners and will do these first as an eliminator, then the almighty clutch if ness,.. Tony, I like the idea of dropping the transfer box first as I’m no Goliath and ease is better than broken fingers.

I am also going to do the inner rear half shaft seal as there is an oil leak, and lack of braking at present, I understand this is straight forward and no need to remove the bearing, does anyone know if this is this correct?

Well, if the clutch fixes itself, it will only leave the radiator and belts to do,… then happy summer surfing we hopes.

Thanks again
        [B]Travelling Mac[/B]

Comment

Grant
          Where in London are you . If not to far from Harrow I may be able to assist if needed if you need to drop out the clutch .But not till after theMac 4x4 event .

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Hi Guys, good news,.. all is well with the motor, as I changed the Clutch master and slave cylinders, and bingo bango happy days, its as if it was new, so thanks for your help in diagnosis.

Rick, your offer was very unexpected and thoughtful,.. Thank you so much, you have to love a place where strangers are that selfless!

As a sign of my appreciation, and the good work that you, Jotto and Macmillian are doing, I would like to make a donation, (albeit small as I do not have a job at present), but if you could tell Jon to keep an eye on his letter box, there is a donation of £10 on the way.

Thanks again,
            [B]Travelling Mac[/B]

Comment

Still did not post where in London you are , North , South ?

Rick

Comment

Rick, I’m in North London,… Willesden Green, not far from you guys.

Also, I was not aware that there is more than one team entering the Mac 4x4, so best of luck to all the teams!
                [B]Travelling Mac[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by travellingmac
                  Rick, I’m in North London,… Willesden Green, not far from you guys.

Also, I was not aware that there is more than one team entering the Mac 4x4, so best of luck to all the teams!
                  Thanks for the donation , we will add to the other 2 received .
                  I am in Willesden a couple of times a week on buisness .

Rick

Comment

Rick, if you ever want a coffee, beer while in the Green, I am home most weekdays!,.. feel free to mail when you are down.
                    [B]Travelling Mac[/B]

Comment

I've got the same problem with the sticking clutch pedal so I guess I gotta change the master and slave cylinders too. Was it a difficult job and should I risk it with out a haynes manual?

Comment

Surfs also have 2 part flywheel, which can fall apart leading to juddering when taking up drive.

Its no biggy doing it yourself, i find it easier to do solo if you pull the t/case first, then lower the engine/gearbox on a jack till you can see all the bellhousing bolts from behind the gearbox, block the engine on the sump then use long socket extensions to undo all the bellhousing bolts and pull the gearbox back to get it off.

[/QUOTE]

now about this clutch judder on pull away, tell me more about the fly wheel, my 2.8 truck does this about half the time on pull away. i was thinking of the possibility of oil contamination as it seems occasional rather than constant, but the engine doesn't use any oil(must check gear box, had truck 2 years still on must do list!) last clutch i changed i took the engine out on a hoist, is this really making work for myself?
                        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
                        X