Think my heads gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my heads gone

Have noticed a lot of white smoke when I have started the Surf today, this has not been there before and the temp gauge has gone into the red. Normally there is a small amount of black smoke when it starts, which I expect, and the temp gauge sits at halfway. Looking at postings on this forum these are all the symptoms of a cracked head. Can I drive the car like this? and being totally non mechanical, do I need to fill the radiator and what with?

steam whilst running, not just on startup does indicate a head prob, keep an eye on how much coolant you are using via the rad cap (do not open when engine is hot), not just the expansion bottle, it is possible to drive with a cracked head depending on the severity, i.e. iff water is pouring from the expansion bottle, and you are getting overheating probs, then it is not a good idea, if you are using a small amount of coolant which needs topping up every few days or so, then it can be driven, but it is not ideal, and you can risk a sudden breakdown, plus you could cause damage to bores if coolant is entering for extended periods......top up using mixed antifreeze and water upto 50/50 mix, don't use pure water as this will continually dilute the coolant mix in the engine, and risk a freeze, and block damage should we have a particularly cold night.
    Last edited by stara; 29 January 2005, 19:50.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

If all else fails & you cant get someone cheap & respectable to replace head get it to STEVO you will save a lot of money & stress.
      He also supplies 2.4 surf heads with bolts gaskets etc.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Already left a message on Stevos answering machine, need to get it done as soon as possible though.

Comment

STEVE will call you .
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Had the cylinder head replaced by Stevo last week and drove the Surf home from Stockport last night. No problems going over the M62 except the usual traffic and weather ones. Once I got through the traffic, averaged about 75 all the way home up the A1 and A19 and the temperature gauge stayed just below half way so everything is looking good again, thanks Steve.

Here are some pictures of my Surf if anyone is interested: http://www.fredmitchell.com/surf

Comment

Hi Mitch,
              Stevo replaced the head on my Surf last December and I have not had any problems since. Just had a look at the pics of your Surf - Nice One!!
              really like the colour, do you mind me asking where you got the rear light / lens covers from ?
              Andy.
              Attached Files
              I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

You shouldn't have any more problems,just wish Stevo had come out to France when mine went.lol.

Just check the coolant level in your header tank, after mine was replaced i checked it the next day and it needed a touch of coolant.

French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Driver
                  Hi Mitch,
                  Stevo replaced the head on my Surf last December and I have not had any problems since. Just had a look at the pics of your Surf - Nice One!!
                  really like the colour, do you mind me asking where you got the rear light / lens covers from ?
                  Andy.
                  Everythng was on it when I got it, only added the A bar and spotlights externally. Might go for a 2" lift later this year, when I get over paying for the new head!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchf
                    Everythng was on it when I got it, only added the A bar and spotlights externally. Might go for a 2" lift later this year, when I get over paying for the new head!
                    how much for the head and have you got his number just incase mine ever goes
                    I don't know if it has been done is there a way to check ??.
                    Regards
                    Kev.
                    2.4 black beast

Comment

Originally posted by falconer
                      how much for the head and have you got his number just incase mine ever goes
                      I don't know if it has been done is there a way to check ??.
                      Have a look in markys signature, it holds all the info you need.
                      Jez

Comment

Working...
                      X