Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure about putting petrol in the tank myself, I think diesel will do me even if I need more of it.

Comment

• May I suggest if ya haven't already peruse through this thread from the beginning. Happy reading
      All the info you may need is in there hence the thread .....
      "All vegetable oil users - please post your experiences"

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

• First time veg user

30l of oil + 20l diesel= no problem!
        Apart from a sight smell.
        Must get a transfer pump though.

Comment

• Is running straight veg oil even economically viable anymore?

I can't see it for sale for any cheaper than £1 a litre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ludford View Post
            Is running straight veg oil even economically viable anymore?

I can't see it for sale for any cheaper than £1 a litre.
            If veg is £1 pl and diesel at £1.45pl do your maths.75l of diesel = £108.75 to 75l of veg at £75
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

• Every little Helps .. eh Rich

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

• Bio

I have been running homemade BIO for about five years.
                I have a heated second tank, similar to Popeye's, hot water pipes in the tank and a coil around the separate Surf filter. I run 100% Summer and Winter, I just have to remember to switch it back to Dino before I get home, otherwise it takes ages to start on a cold morning and fills the village with fog or should I say smog.
                In summer it stays on BIO all the time day and night.
                Runs like a dream.....

I agree the price of waste oil is stupid, I used to buy some on ebay when I ran out but it is the price of new stuff now.

Comment

• Year of Surf :94
                  Engine size:3lt
                  Engine ref.:
                  Total mileage on the vehicle:188000Km

Main type of veg used: WVO Rapeseed

Single or twin tank? Single tank

No other mods

Mixture/s you use: so far only used in winter at 50/50 WVO/Diesel with a shot of redex in each 55lt fill up

How long you have been using veg for?: 3 or 4 months

Approximate mileage done on diesel:170,000Km

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix:10,000Km

Is the engine still running fine? Yes

Any problems so far experienced that you think are due to veg usage (any approximate costs would be good here as well as any fixes) None

If you are using your own collected waste veg, how do you prepare it for use?

I filter is with a 1Micron filter bag off ebay, let it settle overnight then decant into 25Lt water containers half way then top up the other half with pump diesel.

Then when i'm ready to use it, i decant it into an army jerry can which has a spout so that i can get it into the car without making a mess.

Any other notes/ tips etc.

Get the WVO from fish and chip shops, hardly any fat or impurities in the oil. I'm still using the same 1micron filter bag after putting about a 1000 + Liters of WVO through it.

I'm thinking about a way to deal with the smell, i've been stopped by the police because they smelt it once and i'm keen to find out a way to either neutralise the smell or mask it somehow to reduce hassle from curious police officers.
                  Last edited by mattt; 29 December 2012, 17:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattt View Post
                    I'm thinking about a way to deal with the smell, i've been stopped by the police because they smelt it once and i'm keen to find out a way to either neutralise the smell or mask it somehow to reduce hassle from curious police officers.[/B]
                    I wouldn't bother, it smells way better than regular dino fuel and you're legally allowed to use 2500 litres a year before paying tax on it, filling your tank every week won't get you anywhere close to that on a 50/50 ration, even neat a you could use just over 48 litres a week.

(2500/52=48.0769230769)

Comment

• Still running 100% home made BIO.
                      Just need to clean my glass pre-filter when running gets a bit lumpy and every so often I put a new 2.4ltr fuel filter. ( I use a 2.4 one cuz the diameter is smaller than the 3ltr and fits inside my hot copper coil,).

Having trouble getting waste oil at present cuz my usual pub supply stopped when the pub closed, but as soon as I get about 170ltrs I shall be brewing again.

Happy New Year....

Comment

• Year of Surf : 1995
                        Engine size:3.0
                        Engine ref.:kz1
                        Total mileage on the vehicle:160000

Main type of veg used: SVO (Straight vegetable oil –i.e. bought from the cash and carry) or WVO (waste vegetable oil) WVO - cleanest i found is from Indian takeaways. It has less food/water in it.

Single or twin tank? single tank but have the 3port valves, switch gear and 20l boat tank ready for a twin conversion. (have not got round to it yet)

(i.e. do you put it all in the main fuel tank or have you had a second tank fitted to allow you to use diesel to start and then switch over to veg

Other modifications you have had done to the fuel system and approximate cost?
                        Stainless flat plate heat exchanger from a combi boiler.(free) Connected up to the water cooled intake hose. This hose is prefect for the diameter of the hose tails on the exchanger.

Mixture/s you use

Summer
                        Veg 98% roughly
                        Diesel 0%
                        Petrol 2% roughly
                        Any other additives (please list) Tesco fuel cleaner every now and then

Winter
                        Veg 75% roughly
                        Diesel 28%
                        Petrol 2% roughly
                        Any other additives (please list) % Tesco fuel cleaner every now and then

How long you have been using veg for?: 4 years (last surf too, no problems)

Approximate mileage done on diesel: not sure, previous owner ran some veg though it.

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix: 30,000

Is the engine still running fine? Yes/ No YES a bit lumpy and smoky on start up when cold. Idle up button sorts this.

Any problems so far experienced that you think are due to veg usage (any approximate costs would be good here as well as any fixes)None so far.
                        fuel filter - change regularly. 2 or 3 times a year. engine oil and filter change every 6 months.

Don't bother with WVO to much now.A basic filter system 500 micron barrel filter. 200 micron then 50, 20, 10 micron sock type filters from ebay. Can be messy smelly storing WVO. I mainly buy it from the cash and carry now.

Any other notes/ tips etc. Note...........mpg is slighty down with using veg. I get more power and mpg when I up the petrol percentage. Not sure how good that is for the seals in the fuel pump. Feels like i get more pre boost power on veg than diesel.
                        I run the odd tank of diesel though if i cant get to the cash and carry.
                        Tip........... pick up bashed or dented tins from the cash and carry. Ask for discount at the till. My last trip £16 each for 20lt drum of veg oil.

Comment

• Year of Surf : 1991
                          Engine size: 2.4TD
                          Engine ref.:
                          Total mileage on the vehicle:170000

Main type of veg used: WVO (waste vegetable oil) filtered to one micron

Single or twin tank? To date, I have just been chucking it in during summer, with a mix of 20% diesel. On long trips once the surfhas started and is warm, I use 100% WVO.

How long you have been using veg for?: 2 years - twin tank system on a Merc Vito. Six warm months on the surf.

Approximate mileage done on diesel: not sure, previous owner ran some veg though it.

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix: 6,000

Is the engine still running fine? Yes/ No YES a bit lumpy and smoky on start up when cold. Idle up button sorts this.

Any problems so far experienced that you think are due to veg usage (any approximate costs would be good here as well as any fixes) Yeah - fuel pump gasket leaked. I imagine due to veg oil. Cost £200 to fix. Ouch.

Sock filter. 1 microm. Big spoon to scoop gunk - I plan to make a automatic system in spring using an ICB container and solar powered pump.

I have a two tank system which was on the Merc Vito and plan to install it on the surf this week. I get how the kit works, but was wandering - does anyone have a talk through video or photos of their two tank system in their Surf? I just want to make sure I know where best to fit and fix components. A little confidence boost if you like...

Thanks- I love this damn forum!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X