X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    I'd like to know too!
    It's the percentage of fuel burnt in the combustion chamber rather than being wasted pushed out in the exhaust stroke. I can't see much benefit compared to the expense and complication of having to dual fuel your truck.

It might be worth it if you were racing a diesel engined motor where the cost of a little extra power was no object, but I'd not want to spend hundreds or even more on making my car 10% more fuel efficient... if I wanted to do that I'd take my foot of the gas a little... or drive a Polo.

Comment

• A catalyst is unchanged after what ever reaction its altering.

Adding LPG to diesel just helps it explode better, and you've added a little cheap LPG, and take away a little expensive diesel each combustion.

It takes forever to recoup your conversion costs though, you'll only see 5ish mpg improvement, still have to use diesel, and it eats brake pads as you have no engine braking at all.

It does go faster though, (only short term if you abuse it though! )

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dodge View Post
        It's the percentage of fuel burnt in the combustion chamber rather than being wasted pushed out in the exhaust stroke.

Isn't that controlled by the ECU?

It might be worth it if you were racing a diesel engined motor where the cost of a little extra power was no object, but I'd not want to spend hundreds or even more on making my car 10% more fuel efficient... if I wanted to do that I'd take my foot of the gas a little... or drive a Polo.
        Yup.

Comment

• This is what I was looking at: http://www.p-i-fuelsystems.co.uk/powershot_faq.htm

Interested in TonyN's comments ref. lack of engine braking. I am going to be doing approx. 500 miles per week, loving the Surf but interested in saving where I can. Even at 5 mpg, it should repay in less than a year if my calculations are right. But interested in any experience that people may have had.

Comment

• I know a couple of people who fitted propane assist kits, they where happy with the results performance wise, but if you're paying someone to fit it its not often viable finacially unless your doing mega milages.

You need to find out the percentage of deisel being replaced with LPG for each kit, they are all different.

Then you'll know how much money you'll save in fuel, and see how it relates to the cost of the installation.

Remember some insurance co's are nervous of LPG, and most require it fitted by an approved installer.

When I looked into it the biggest drawback for bus and haulage companys was that maintenace costs of brake parts was raised significantly, as it effected engine over-run, but don't know anymore details than that.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Yup.
              Nope.

The ECU will try to optimise the amount of fuel and the air fuel ratio, but not the amount of fuel that is actually burnt in the ignition stroke. You'll never get 100% combustion of diesel in an internal combustion engine. Well not in anything fitted in an old clunker of a 4x4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                You'll never get 100% combustion of diesel in an internal combustion engine. Well not in anything fitted in an old clunker of a 4x4.
                Stoichiometry, the chemist's holy grail.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

• Originally posted by spacast View Post
                  I'm running on a good 90% SVO with some unleaded, acetone and 2T, and I'm getting over 28mpg on mostly short runs in my manual 4runner. Engine runs nice and quiet and smooth, and can't say I've noticed the drop in power.
                  Letting the tank run down now and when the winter diesel arrives I'll be on 50/50 till the spring.
                  I have got a few 20ltr SVO containers and wondering what mix to put in the tank. I have read that adding unleaded will thin the mix more than diesel so I wonder if the 90% SVO with unleaded will still be OK this time of year?

Lots of info around here... SVO 50% / diesel 50% winter and SVO 90% / diesel 10% summer seems to be 'average' but no commonality as far as the unleaded option is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
                    I have got a few 20ltr SVO containers and wondering what mix to put in the tank. I have read that adding unleaded will thin the mix more than diesel so I wonder if the 90% SVO with unleaded will still be OK this time of year?

Lots of info around here... SVO 50% / diesel 50% winter and SVO 90% / diesel 10% summer seems to be 'average' but no commonality as far as the unleaded option is concerned.
                    As I understand it, its a bit pointless mixing that little diesel. Its far more effective to add 5-10% unleaded to the SVO/WVO to thin it.
                    As to whether you can get away with that mix at this time of year, I have used it in pretty low temps and it works (engine doesnt sound too happy until up to temp but it works) but your engine may be more sensitive/ you may be experiencing lower temps up there.
                    You don't want to go higher than 10% unleaded in the total tank, so I would suggest you add 10% unleaded to your SVO first (in your SVO containers and shaken to mix) then try filling the Surf tank with 60% of the SVO+unleaded mix and 40% diesel.
                    If that works then increase the %age of SVO+unleaded mixture.

If I've explained that badly, let me know and I'll rephrase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfboy View Post

For what it's worth I run 100% diesel in the winter and as near to 100% veg as I can during the summer.

If I ever add unleaded (up to roughly 4 litres in a 65 litre tankful) it makes the truck run really rough & lumpy so I just don't bother.

I suspect, given other peoples differing experiences, that it will be down to each individual truck and a matter of experimenting with what mixes work for you following everyone elses thoughts and musing.

Good luck! It's worth it in the end!

Comment

• Last night I added 2 litres of RUG (unleaded) to 20 litres of SVO into my tank that was just reporting a low fuel light, (so I assume about 5-10 ish litres diesel left?)

Running lovely this morning so I may try adding the same again next time, meaning the diesel ratio will be next to nothing. I'll see how that goes and let you know.

Comment

• tesco svo

Just got some veg oil at Tesco for 96 p a litre.
                          Never tried it before so what ratio oil to diesel should I start with guys?
                          Dobbs

Comment

• If you bought brand new cooking oil you can happily add 50/50 mix straight into the tank, if (as in mine) this runs well then next time you could add a little more veg!

BTW what oil did you get as Tesco down here was £1.10 per ltr for KTC in 10ltr bottles??

Alan
                            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

• Yes that's a good price. Hope you bought lots!

I've been running 90/10 SVO and unleaded for a couple of weeks and it's been great! Quieter, smoother and just a little lumpy on a very cold start for a bit. If it get very cold for a while, I'll add some diesel to thin it a little more.

Comment

• Not sure of the brand as my wife got it but it comes in 15 l bottles.

Comment

Working...
                                X