Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you trust your gauge (I dont ) you should be able to get in 20 ltrs - that isn t
    too far off 50/50, as a first time trial should suit the bill!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

• tidy
      many many thanks you guys
      cheers
      daz

Comment

• When I use/d SVO I didn't worry about the size of the tank, only the amount in % terms say 50/50 or 60/40 - 70/30 or 80/20% of whats going in the tank at the time.
        I never fill me tank unless I'm long distancing ... Scottyland or Cornwall
        Good Luck
        Jess

"Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

• at the mo im using 20l svo, 1.5l petrol, 20ml turps, 60ml 2 stroke oil!!!

now ive been working on this veg oil running thing 4 years, and all on different engines ive been running this mix 4 the past 2 weeks and it seems the best so far!!! unfortunatly ive found with just petrol there is a lot of tapping and knocking until its warmed up, but with the 2 stroke pre- added to the petrol b4 i mix elimimates all of that as its lubricating as u drive so its ready to roll the next day with as i see it minimum noise therefore less damage!!!

in the winter i did use 50/50 derv and svo, im gonna play with that this year and im hoping with the current mix im producing, only add 20 derv 2 80 veg mix

ill let u know when we get to that time for the final verdict

at the end of the day i think its all down to personal pref but this is what i feel to be the best for my truck

goodluck guys in ur quest to find the best for u, this ive only posted as a guide but im always up for new input
          1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

• Originally posted by pauly View Post
            at the mo im using 20l svo, 1.5l petrol, 20ml turps, 60ml 2 stroke oil!!!

now ive been working on this veg oil running thing 4 years, and all on different engines ive been running this mix 4 the past 2 weeks and it seems the best so far!!! unfortunatly ive found with just petrol there is a lot of tapping and knocking until its warmed up, but with the 2 stroke pre- added to the petrol b4 i mix elimimates all of that as its lubricating as u drive so its ready to roll the next day with as i see it minimum noise therefore less damage!!!

t
            Wow thats an interesting mix! Can you give any more details around the theory for adding the 2 stroke and particularly the turps?

Also a bit more detail around other motors you've used this mix in and any issues.

Also are you aware of any negatives of any of the ingredients. i.e. will turpentine degrade rubber componenets in a similar way to the methnol in biodiesel.

Thanks.
            Last edited by biosurf; 9 August 2010, 15:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              Wow thats an interesting mix! Can you give any more details around the theory for adding the 2 stroke and particularly the turps?

Also a bit more detail around other motors you've used this mix in and any issues.

Also are you aware of any negatives of any of the ingredients. i.e. will turpentine degrade rubber componenets in a similar way to the methnol in biodiesel.

Thanks.
              hi bud well for years its either been svo or wvo mix with derv, but me being me i wanted to try other things and see if i can improve on any thing like performance, or better mpg!!!

now over the years of driving diesel power vehicles ive owned a shogun mk1, mk2 mondeo, peugoet 505, ldv convoy and now my beloved surf.

ive tried running oil from kebab bars chipshops and such like but back then my knowledge was limited, and so i had trouble with pumps, filters injectors and all manner of things lol
              it wasnt until i had my ldv that i got back into it again and there was much more info available in the net so started buying wvo and mixing with derv 50/50 winter and up to 10/90 summer and she ran like a dream never had a problem so i kept on that during the ownership of the ldv

now owning the surf i find she hates wvo!!! ive been brought home on the back of a flatbed a couple times due to the filter clogging on wvo so changed to svo with the derv only she ran better had no probs, but i still got that sluggish feel and checked the filter and it looked like a film or slick was build thus making it hard to draw the fuel thru filter change again but it would still come back

so heard somewhere that u can use white spirit or turps 2 stop this film buiding which aids better fuel delivery and ive noticed a better performance also!!!! but i also read turps does have a negative effect on seals but the substitute doesnt!!! and so far touch wood this the turps i use, only the subsitute and its been fine ive checked my filter to see if its doing its job and there is no film and by then there would have been, so i think it stops the jelling not sure if that is the jelling effect but all i know is it gets rid of that dam filming up

now the reason i use 2 stoke
              this was only a recent thing, about 2 months ago my mate told ne he was using petrol to thin his svo, now ive tried petrol b4 on my ldv only once as it made it tap like hell and believe me if u ever own 1 its noisy enuf without any added tapping and knocking so i stopped using it,
              anyway me wanting to try it out seen as he was doing it i tried it out, now with derv petrol svo and turps i cant fault it, but seen as im not wanting to use derv, like my friend who owns a pajero is only using svo/petrol
              so i used this petrol svo turps sub mix noticing a hell of a poke in her i thought ideal, but then noticed a tapping/knocking ive not herd b4 and i dont get that with derv added! reserched a bit further and found some people put 2 stoke or atf in which lubes up parts striped by the petrol

so now which im currently monitoring i mix up 2stroke/petrol mix at a 25:1 60ml of oil 1.5l petrol in a can, then i mix in a barrel 20l svo, then add the turps sub 20ml, then the petrol/2stroke mix give it a good shake and leave it over night, sometime i mix up more then use as and when required
              and pour it straight into the tank

i think ive covered it all sorry to those who fell asleep half way down lol im not used to doing write ups i usually read them

thanx for ur interest biosurf if theres anything else i cant tell u plz ask

Comment

• Really interesting thanks. Be intrested to see how you go as time goes on. Odd that you've had filter probs as I don't think too meant have other than having to change them more often.
                I wonder if your surf had maybe had someone using bad quality veg in it before and its sat in the bottom of the tank?

Why were you brought back on a flatbed? Did you have you fuel filter with you? I always have a couple of spares in the back and make sure that theyre only done up hand tight so its easy to get them off if it feels like the filter is clogging when you're on the road.

Cheers for the detailed post. Thre is another veg oil sticky to fill in your mix and experiences which would be useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                  Why were you brought back on a flatbed? Did you have you fuel filter with you? I always have a couple of spares in the back and make sure that theyre only done up hand tight so its easy to get them off if it feels like the filter is clogging when you're on the road.
                  ah now this is interesting lol mine is the efi version which i want to convert to a manual pump in due time, it has the variable valve on the top of the pump and when the filter clogged up there was no fuel in the pump so it shut it down and i couldnt restart the engine or even get fuel to reach the injectors!
                  it took me a further 2 days with a new filter to get it running again it really did my head in and it made no sense, i still dont know why it took so long as i dis-connected the battery loads to cancel out any codes i tried everything, lol anyway i dont get that anymore thank god!!!

no i didnt have a spare on me at the time the first time i just thought it was an old filter so changed it and it did the same again after 2 months but its fine now its like a normal diesel only its not mnormal diesel in it lol

Comment

• Think I might try the 2 stroke, even though mine's running 95% SVO, 5% petrol with only minor cold idling lumpiness...
                    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

• well i did it ,derv and svo 50/50. iam well pleased apart from the chippy smell lol.
                      the next is more svo and less derv
                      will keep you posted
                      cheers
                      daz

Comment

• Injection pump advance

It has cropped up several times, that the pump timing should be advanced slightly when running SVO/WVO. Can anyone give an exact figure as to the std pump timing on a KZN185, and the advanced timing ? I'll probably get the std timing from the Autodata actually..
                        3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

• hey dudes
                          i have ran mine on pure veg oil
                          all had to do was ask
                          i never look in here

it makes a knocking noise a bit with pur veg oil
                          make the engine sound like its clattering
                          less power
                          stinks to high heven too
                          no good in cold weather ya get start up problems

its not too good in warm wether but its better it will start ya just have to keep trying
                          sometimes it starts just about first time but its chuggy and lumpy
                          untill its at running temp
                          then its not too bad
                          the smell even out a headache
                          did about 50 miles on pure veg it ran like i said above
                          i did not carry on with pure veg oil put it that way
                          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

• I've been thinking of giving this a try and I've just been quoted £19.60 for 100 litres for either rape seed or vege oil. Does this sound right? Sounds bleeding cheap to me!
                            Fear of death is the beginning of slavery

Comment

• Originally posted by Bear Ona Bike View Post
                              I've been thinking of giving this a try and I've just been quoted £19.60 for 100 litres for either rape seed or vege oil. Does this sound right? Sounds bleeding cheap to me!
                              At that price it should be waste oil, and its quite cheap for waste oil. Always go for rapeseed or sunflower the have the lowest cloud points of all your usual veg oils available in this country.
                              l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

• Somebody in London was doing 1000 litres @ £200 6 months ago, so sounds like WVO at that price ....

Jess
                                "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                                X