This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
    Somebody in London was doing 1000 litres @ £200 6 months ago, so sounds like WVO at that price ....

Jess
    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
    On ebay it goes for more like £350-£400 now as oil has gone up.
    Shosking really since its a waste product!
    l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

• Duty for duty

Hi All,

Crazy diesel prices mean I really want to give a SVO/Diesel mix a go in my 4runner...am I right that I can use 2500 SVO without having to pay any extra duty or declare anything to the tax man?

Ta
      C

Comment

• That's right no duty if you produce and use less than 2500L a year.
        Have a look at the forum on www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk full of useful info.

Comment

• Couple of questions from a possible new SVO user (now checked through all the stuff on here and mine should run fine on it)

I'll need to register with C&E to use it. According to what I read, using under 2500 litres a year exempts you from duty. Is that just if you PRODUCE it? As I'm planning to use new SVO from a wholesalers. (Dont have the time or inclination to filter the used stuff if Im honest).

What records do I need to prove exemption? Will purchase reciepts and a log of what went in the tank and when suffice?

Where can I get a fuel pre-heater kit? Dont feel mechanically competant enough to attempt a DIY on this one and prefer to let our mechanic fit that. Read somewhere that wires to the fuel filter means you have a pre-heater. Theres wires running to the underside of mine and a fuel heater slot in the fusebox, but no relay in it. Without the heater, dont think I want to risk long cold drives up north, having had the pure derv in my iveco van waxing last winter in the scottish highland very cold temps.

Would it be advantagous to add an antiwax product like wurth or waxbreaker gold to the tank mix in cold weather?

Should I use redex cleaner? If so, How often (currently chuck half a bottle in a full tank of derv maybe once a month)

Once I solved all the above, can I sport a sticker saying 'runs on sunflowers'?

I gotta do this right, as choose which way I head out of here, I pass a VOSA checkpoint. The nearest (Tankersley, between Sheffield and Barnsley) is one I pass a lot and have been pulled in my van by them.
          Last edited by Neozero999; 25 January 2011, 18:26.

Comment

• Stumbled across this site on my research travels. Quite informative and SEEMS to suggest I wouldn't need to register with HMRC for usage under 2500 a year? What's your thoughts on that?
            http://www.dieselveg.com/

Also found this:
            http://www.dieselveg.com/toyota_hi-lux_surf_diy.htm
            Don't like the tank in the boot though!

Comment

• Hi Neozero999
              I also am looking at using a SVO mix. Just wondering what prices you're found for the veg oil as the cheapest i can find is £1.08 from an indian supermarket in rotherham? I was hoping to get it a little cheaper than that. As per the wires that go to the bottom of the filter. These are for the water level sensor in the filter its self, not a heater . I am currently looking at some coolant fed heaters that sandwich between the filter and the head as these would be very simple to install without the need for even altering the fuel lines.

dazza
              Non consternationes.

Comment

• OK here's another Veggie fuel twist..

I've been cheerfully using both Biodiesel and straight Sunflower oil at about 40% with normal diesel on and off for a year. Today I was warned NOT to use synthetic oil lubricant when I'm running on veggie based fuel, but stick to mineral oils. I gather if anything goes wrong, synthie oil and biodiesel react together and "turn to porridge" which is a bugger to clear out.. This doesn't happen with mineral oils, he says..
                Is my mate talking bolleaux?

Comment

• http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-...wSwitchSMBar=3

ASDA seems to be the cheapest for the above shops..

Last summer, Sainsbury's was about 96p/litre now its £1.30 odd. Someone tell me they don't follow the fuel prices!
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• Shopping around Dazza, thinking Netto, aldi, Asda smartprice, Costco, Makro and the polish, Chinese and Indian wholesalers and supermarkets are all worth a look for new stuff. Still debating on filtering used, which I can get free.
                    I've made a start. Ordered some prefilters (seems to be a wise, cheap and easy to change option if the initial 'crud' happens)
                    Definitely going with a preheater. Found two options: either a heat exchange kit, £85 new with all fittings, or the Vow2. Reading up, vow2 wouldn't be enough on it's own, but cheap and useful to have as well as the exchanger. Anyone running a single tank mixed derv/SVO have any opinions on these heating options? One, the other? Both?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rupadarshin View Post
                      I've been cheerfully using both Biodiesel and straight Sunflower oil at about 40% with normal diesel on and off for a year. Today I was warned NOT to use synthetic oil lubricant when I'm running on veggie based fuel, but stick to mineral oils. I gather if anything goes wrong, synthie oil and biodiesel react together and "turn to porridge" which is a bugger to clear out.. This doesn't happen with mineral oils, he says..
                      Is my mate talking bolleaux?
                      Thats a new one on me, not saying you mate is right or wrong but ive never heard of it.

A brainiac will shed light on it soon enough.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

• Morrisons 103p per litre

thats a saving of £0.30 per litre round by us.
                        I bought 20x3 litre bottles today. The checkout lady asked of there was an offer on!
                        I laughed and explained only if your car drinks veggie oil!
                        Saving of £18 for 60 litres. Now in my eyes, thats significant. specially if I fill jup every 2 weeks... £36 per month, £420 odd a year!
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• Costco have a voucher offer and selling veg oil @ 19.85 for 20 litres: 99p a litre (saves me 31p a litre)
                          Just sweet-talking a couple of chippies into filling my containers with their waste stuff though.
                          Just got my Vow2 kit through from green-tech. No electrical experience whatsoever, but DIY instructions look easy enough and bought it with the idiot-proof loom
                          Off to have a bash now......
                          (theres 80l of costco oil sat in the outhouse ready!)

Comment

• Ok.........Done it all, apart from the VOW2 wires from the dash switch (live and a neutral), that need connecting to the 'ignition only live'...someone please enlighten me?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neozero999 View Post
                              Costco have a voucher offer and selling veg oil @ 19.85 for 20 litres:
                              What is the voucher offer?
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

• Sorry, just checked, not a voucher offer, just on offer.
                                I found my ignition live, little bit of trial and error, all wired and plumbed, chucked 20 litres in half a tank of derv, bit of Redex for good measure, been for a test run.......well pleased!
                                Pleasently surprised by the LACK of exhaust odour too. No chip shop smell on new oil, just a faint hot oil smell.
                                True test will be we'll see what it's like on a cold start in the morning, but the VOW2 alone seems to do an excellent job of heating on it's own (And heats from engine startup)

Comment

Working...
                                X