yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone built their own Stainless Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone built their own Stainless Exhaust?

Hi all

I will have to replace the centre box on my exhaust before the MOT next month.
    As the truck goes through exhaust parts more than anything else each time I replace a section I always wish I could justify the expense of a stainless system.
    Just been looking on a popular web auction site and there seem to be plenty of sellers of stainless exhaust parts.
    At first glance they are cheaper than the tried and tested steel parts

But how hard would it be to make up your own system?

Looking at posts on exhausts its usual for systems to be fitted from the downpipe onwards

At the moment I would only need to change the centre box and tail pipe, connecting onto the flange at the flexible joint.

Other questions would be regarding pipe size and back pressures.

I should be able to take the truck off the road after the weekend so this gives me time to remove the old sections
    Measure the geometry and look to see if I can find pre-fabricated parts to suit
    So if anyone has info to help I would be grateful

Many thanks

Steve

I got a full stainless installed in Hucknall but I am sure he could fabricate you a part system for less money.

http://www.jacexhausts.co.uk/
    Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Thank you Jimster

I had noticed a few people have had exhausts fitted by them

I have asked them for a quote and will take it from there

They say time is money
      And at the moment I have more time than money
      The bits online are inexpensive
      I understand they have to make a living and if done well they exhaust will outlive the truck

Seems strange after all these years that there isn't a company who market an off the shelf solution

Cheers

Steven

Comment

StevenN,

I did patch up the exhaust that was on the truck when I bought it, but as it's a faithful servant and reliable daily driver, I thought I'd bite the bullet.

There are off-the-shelf solutions in Japan, but the cost of post kills a deal.

The market is niche here, so I can understand why folks wouldn't want to fabricate Surf kit here and have it sat in the workshop for years (most of the trucks are getting on for 20 years old now). Yet surprised to know of about 4 3rd-gens within a 5 mile radius of me.
        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Hi, I made my own several years ago, I'm no welder and only have an old SIP arc welder, the hardest bit was making a reducer to fit to the manifold, bl00dy tight in there, infact there is still a 13mm socket jammed on the inboard fixing nut, could not get the bugger off, handy if I need to remove it tho,
          I can sort out pictures if you want to have a go, just shop bought the flexy connector and a straight through muffler the rest is milk grade 3inch SS kindly got for me by Webbo (on here, or was on here)
          the welded joints are a mess but I tacked SS sleeves ove to make it look more presentable, it's a side exit forward of the N/S rear wheel, (makes the wheel dirty but sounds nice and really helps the old tractor breath better, Ian
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi Popeye
            Thanks for the info
            Your pictures may help
            What size of muffler did you use?

My intention is to change the sections as the plain steel parts wear out.
            I changed the flexi pipe section about a year ago and I believe it was the original one I removed.
            Currently the muffler has a split developing nicely and the rear pipe had a patch done again about a year ago.

I am looking to change these parts for stainless mainly as they only last 2-3 years
            If I can I wasn't going to change the geometry too much and if possible buy the bits that clamp together.
            I can always get my friendly garage weld the bits up once I have them in the right places
            I've never tried welding and I know he's very good

Again thanks for the reply

Steve

Comment

Here's a few, all the bought in parts are 3" (flexy and muffler, the straight pipe, flanges and some bends were supplied by Webbo, although they are available on line if Webbo's no longer doing them,
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Popeye
                Thank you for sharing the pictures.
                Your welding doesn't look half bad.
                I like the look of the side exit
                My hope is that I can work my way back to front replacing the rear and mid sections first.
                Hopfully by then I will have learnt the ability to do the front end.
                All the twists and turns look a tad tricky

Cheers

Steve

Comment

I had s/s built and fitted by pro-exhausts , I think they may have been bought out by Bathwick tyres since then, anyway it was relatively cheap been on the truck 7 years now with No trouble, the old steel one was totally burnt out where it went over the back axle didn't show till I had a mot. As I had already had a s/s exhaust fitted to the Soarer I thought might as well have one on both as they have a life time warrantee.

Comment

your welcome and you should see my welding close up problem is with the Arc I couldn't do a continuous weld as even with the power turned right down it still burns straight through, mig or tig's much better but since I never had one the Arc had to do,
                    Main reason I took it out the side was it meant I didn't have to mess about getting it over the back axel, would have liked twin rear exit pipes but!!
                    Stainless certainly does last, had no trouble with it since I made it,
                    Only problem with doing it a bit at a time as far as I can see is fitting it together a bit at a time, assuming you are making it 3" and not the same as the old one?,
                    That "lifetime" warranty only lasts as long as the firm that fitted it (as far as I know) cant see a co that took over honouring warranty's,

Comment

Yup I made a full stainless system with a mate for my V8 swap.

Measure up, cut and weld. We just used a mig welder with stainless wire and argon gas, it doesn't look like a stunning tig welded Blitz exhaust... but it has been on for a few years now and I'm happy with it.

I bought all the bits of Ebay.
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

Thank you Karma Supra for the info

Did you route yours the conventional way or out the side?

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Side exit just behind the rear wheel.

All parts from Ebay...

there was a pic on a thread of it somewhere on the truck.. Edit:

Found it!

I didn't want to have it as a side exit before the rear wheel as that would mean going below the chassis rails, and losing ground clearance.

More pics Here
                          Last edited by Karma Supra; 25 November 2015, 14:33.
                          More Lift.
                          More Tyres.
                          More Engine.

Comment

Looks sweet!

Nice wheels too. What are they?

Comment

Cheers

Low offset Raguna ZZYZX. I got them refurbed in two tone satin, for something a bit different, but subtle.

The exhaust sounds epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmWt5tSoZQ

When the VVTi kicks in at higher revs it sounds utterly mental, the unequal headers make it sound like an AK-47.
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X