Surf turbo diesel intercooler 3.0 Ltr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
    Lol good answer, and the same one Id give someone who thought 2500 was a good valuation.
    Sigmund Freud had a theory about those that criticise the bearers of bad news (or shoot the messenger). The Americans have a saying, "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

It is easy to surround yourself with people who have the same beliefs, and then constantly reinforce those beliefs. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

I have a rich friend who bought an Aston Martin Rapide 2 yrs ago, for £150,000. He asked me about selling it, and I suggested we might get £75,000. Aston offered him less. Now he's all upset.

The market sets values. Not me, not you. And as you can see from the auction results, the market is cruel. But if having a dig at me makes you feel better, crack on.
    Not allowed 1) tools 2) matches 3) sharp objects

Comment

As far as I can see the surfs in the ebay list are all older surfs. Mostly 2nd Gen, bar from two, and none with inter-cooler. The one on here is a bit "younger."
      If its really as good as the post portraits, with such low mileage it has to be worth more than 3000 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas A. Swift View Post
        Sigmund Freud had a theory about those that criticise the bearers of bad news (or shoot the messenger). The Americans have a saying, "Don't hate the player, hate the game".

It is easy to surround yourself with people who have the same beliefs, and then constantly reinforce those beliefs. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

I have a rich friend who bought an Aston Martin Rapide 2 yrs ago, for £150,000. He asked me about selling it, and I suggested we might get £75,000. Aston offered him less. Now he's all upset.

The market sets values. Not me, not you. And as you can see from the auction results, the market is cruel. But if having a dig at me makes you feel better, crack on.
        I agree. Bogus...shame on you.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          I agree. Bogus...shame on you.
          Sucks being Surfless? Buy this one for £4500 then!
          Not allowed 1) tools 2) matches 3) sharp objects

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas A. Swift View Post
            Sucks being Surfless? Buy this one for £4500 then!
            No Thanks. I'm way to busy with this Land Cruiser. It wasn't £4500.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

The market for old, thirsty 4x4s that don't have parking sensors and sat navs built in will get smaller and smaller.

It will become an enthusiast market because the cost of Volvo/BMW/Korean-whatever they are all called vehicles get down to realistic levels, most people wont care that the more modern stuff is softer and less capable off road.

The market for proper old body on chassis stuff will go flat until the cars are scarcer and older and your particular favourite becomes a little rarer and has a fan base to keep it going.

Fuel prices and government taxes, emissions zones etc will make them less attractive to own than more modern cars.

If your worried about yours losing its value sell it now, however if you want a solid car that will last for donkeys and isn't full of stuff that wont be economically irreplaceable after 15 years then maybe hang on to it.

I expect the market for these 4x4s (not just surfs) to get down to the point when most are worth more in bits than as whole cars, I've seen it happen with almost all cars over the years, prices wont go up until there are almost none left and even then they may not go up very much.

Comment

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
                The market for old, thirsty 4x4s that don't have parking sensors and sat navs built in will get smaller and smaller.

It will become an enthusiast market because the cost of Volvo/BMW/Korean-whatever they are all called vehicles get down to realistic levels, most people wont care that the more modern stuff is softer and less capable off road.

The market for proper old body on chassis stuff will go flat until the cars are scarcer and older and your particular favourite becomes a little rarer and has a fan base to keep it going.

Fuel prices and government taxes, emissions zones etc will make them less attractive to own than more modern cars.

If your worried about yours losing its value sell it now, however if you want a solid car that will last for donkeys and isn't full of stuff that wont be economically irreplaceable after 15 years then maybe hang on to it.

I expect the market for these 4x4s (not just surfs) to get down to the point when most are worth more in bits than as whole cars, I've seen it happen with almost all cars over the years, prices wont go up until there are almost none left and even then they may not go up very much.
                Great post thank you.......

Comment

In these parts 'classics' like the surf, LC and Prado are still going strong. There are a few fourth Gens about town already. Due to import duties of 120%, new 'main dealer' Jap vehicles are totally unaffordable to anyone other than the state (ministerial cars etc) few large multinationals and the UN and all its subsidiaries, NGO etc.
                  The European makers are not represented here...altho' you get the odd Touareg or Merc SUV, privately imported.
                  That leaves the kia, GWM, Mahindras and Tatas of this world.
                  They still attract high duty but are cheaper than the Japanese vehicles. However they are avoided by the discerning buyer coz they fall apart within months, due to the nature of our 'roads'. The parts network is limited to original parts, very expansive .And also coz they look kind of crap.

Land Rovers? A few high maintenance Defenders, that spend more time in garages than on the road. As for Discoveries, the last one I saw was being used as a chicken coup.

So people stick with the tried and trusted. 20 yrs old 2.8 or 3.0 L hilux pickups are worth the equivalent of 7 or 8 thousand UK pounds. OLd LCs, kz te Surfs and Prados are like gold dust. Non original parts are tried and tested by now, cheap and of acceptable quality. You can drive them thousands of miles in the bush and you know that you will get back. Mechanics know
                  to deal with them. Give them a Sorento and they 'll look at it in puzzlement...

Also we have no road tax (a percentage of your fuel cost at the pump goes towards road tax). Or limits on emissions.

I cannot see these cars devalue or go out of fashion anytime soon, here.

Sorry I rumble on, am off work today

Cheers
                  Last edited by tashtego; 11 August 2014, 13:46.

Comment

Yeah when we sold our crew cab 4x4 B2500 it was snapped up by exporters to be sent out to Africa somewhere, lovely truck it was but the London emissions zone made it useless to us as we live right on the edge of it and couldn't take it inside.

Comment

Tashtego my man can I come over to see you for a driving "holiday"?
                      I'll bring my 3rd gen with me, 7 to 8 thousand you say? Hmmm
                      I'm not sure I'll be driving it back if you see what I mean........

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                        Tashtego my man can I come over to see you for a driving "holiday"?
                        I'll bring my 3rd gen with me, 7 to 8 thousand you say? Hmmm
                        I'm not sure I'll be driving it back if you see what I mean........
                        Haha, yes...I see what you mean.
                        People do that, they purchase a car in the EU have a drive down to Africa and then sell it. That's how all those old Peugeots arrived in West Africa...lots of them still used as taxis.

If you drove your 3rd Gen down here you would get a TIP at the border (Temporary import permit).. If you then decided to sell it you would have to go to the revenue authority to pay import duty, which is around 120% of the vehicle's value.
                        So let's say you and the taxman agree that your surf is worth £3000. You then pay 120% of that value (£3600) to him. He gives you a clearing paper, you go get a Registration book and then you can sell the vehicle.

So to make a £400 profit you'd have to sell it for at 7K. Which is about what 3rd Gens go for at the moment.
                        Hope that explains the high prices we have here.
                        It's the same all over Southern Africa I am afraid. Import duty is extortionate, its 'free money' for governments.
                        For the same reasons parts are really expensive. So when friends and family travel back and fro I always fill their suitcases with roughtrax bits!

If you decide to go ahead with the plan let me know, there will be cold beers waiting for you

Comment

Sounds a lot of grief for £400!

Comment

I dare say most exporters take them over more than one at a time, you could however use it as an excuse for a holiday and cut the costs a bit.

Comment

Yes, that's it, they block book deck spaces on those huge flat ships (whatever they are called) and bring them in by the tonne.
                              The profit on a single vehicle is not much but the trip would be fun!

Comment

What the hell happened to the bumper

Comment

Working...
                                X