Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 Drivers Seat is Messed

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with the padding on my driver's side seat.

Some history,
    -I bought the car in March 2012
    -I Noticed the front right seat mount was covered up, a bit odd
    Inspected the mount to find out that the bolt must have been pulled out leaving a whole where the floor fixing is, the gent sorted this out with an anchor bolt and about 12 washers which looked like he had already pulled through a few times further damaging the floor mounting point.
    -I had a mechanic re-weld the metal back together and rebuild the mount by welding a low profile bit of 3mm C channel so it could be tapped and used to mount the seat properly again, almost perfect, maybe 3mm higher than before.
    -throughout this time I've been developing a lower back problem, started about 8 months ago
    -I recognized my car seat as the main issue, when seated I seems to be sitting facing around 5 degrees to the left off centre
    -after a long and painful series of phone calls to the wreckers and dealers looking for a replacement seat I ended up finding a Motor Trimmer who spent an hour and repadded the seat recognizing that the right shoulder padding had caved and the padding was not in great shape.
    -His work was a great improvement for around a month, but now the seat is sliding back into the same poor state.

Can anyone recommend a good solution to get this issue resolved?
    i.e.
    Somewhere I can get a new seat for my truck (hopefully not too expensive, ARB said they could put something in for around $2000, geez)
    Somewhere I can buy the foam padding for my seat?

This issue has left me with a sore back for a long time now and I've run out of ideas that won't cost me a great deal of money.

Let me know if you need more info,

Appreciate your time,

Dan

The gent who owned the car before me was a large guy and he has made the seat very uncomfortable.

You could try a wreckers yard for a seat, look for Landcruisers too, as they may fit, or full aftermarket options.

Sounds like the internal frame could be twisted so no amount of rebuilding of the padding will rectify that.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Buy a secondhand set of front seats from a Toyota celica gen 7 or a Subaru imprezza and fit those....nice comfy seats and cheap in the uk...not sure about Canada. You just need the feet adjusted/welded from the original set to fit. Take the old set out and offer the new set up to see. Plenty of people on here have done this...myself included.
      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
        Buy a secondhand set of front seats from a Toyota celica gen 7 or a Subaru imprezza and fit those....nice comfy seats and cheap in the uk...not sure about Canada. You just need the feet adjusted/welded from the original set to fit. Take the old set out and offer the new set up to see. Plenty of people on here have done this...myself included.
        Thanks for the advice,

Is is legal to swap your car seat out with non-OEM seats?
        When you say you need the feet adjusted/welded from the original set do you reckon you could run some angle between the original feet and just drill some holes for the new seats? assuming they don't damage the feet.

Appreciate your time,

Dan

Comment

seat swap

Originally posted by 93HiluxSurfDD View Post
          Thanks for the advice,

Is is legal to swap your car seat out with non-OEM seats?
          When you say you need the feet adjusted/welded from the original set do you reckon you could run some angle between the original feet and just drill some holes for the new seats? assuming they don't damage the feet.

Appreciate your time,

Dan
          Morning Dan. Legal here in U.K.
          Use the" search " at top of page. Lots of info & pics

Comment

I'm not sure about Canada either, but as he's in Oz, it might not matter
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
              I'm not sure about Canada either, but as he's in Oz, it might not matter

Saw that, I was too polite to poke fun at Tonka

Comment

I'm not...Oí Kev, he's in feckin Thailand...
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Howdy All,

I'm from Canada, I saw Canada in the reply reminding me I need to change it from Canada to Australia, as I live in Oz now.

found some info,

RAC has a list of mods that do not require approval,
                  ref http://rac.com.au/motoring/motoring-...odifying-a-car
                  "If you do not have Department of Transport approval for your modification, your vehicle may be issued with a defect order, you could be fined and your vehicle de-licenced."
                  Optional manufacturer seating is on the list, I'm not looking to put in an optional manufacturer seat, I'm looking to put some Subaru Forester seats in that I found for $220.

I reckon I'm still going to do it, I can't imagine reducing the mounting system much if I build a square adapter between the existing rail mount point and redrill in it for the new ones, just need to make sure the metal is thick enough.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    I'm not...Oí Kev, he's in feckin Thailand...
                    In Thailand....that's ok then. If they can get away with a illegal coup, then the seats won't be a problem.

I will need to brush up on my geography before heading off on the big trip.... Which starts in two weeks. By then I will be homeless, but not surfless..

Time to change my location info...at last..
                    Last edited by Overland Tonka; 14 June 2014, 14:14.
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Kev I hope you and the Mrs have a great trip. Will there be a blog for us to follow your progress?
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Kev I hope you and the Mrs have a great trip. Will there be a blog for us to follow your progress?
                        Thanks Brian... Yeah, been thinking about a blog with ramblings about border crossings and bowl movements. It's looking likely that we will and I've just asked the question on an overlanding site about which blog app is easy to use for a techno numpty like me.

Once sorted I will post a link on here to check out if people are bored or interested.
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

I read all of Harry's "across then up" website over there years. One of the best ones out there IMHO. If you get 30% of his content it will keep us lot in Friday night drunk chat for hours.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                            I read all of Harry's "across then up" website over there years. One of the best ones out there IMHO. If you get 30% of his content it will keep us lot in Friday night drunk chat for hours.
                            Is he the guy who passed his test then went straight out and drove a burgandy landcrusier 80 around the world??

If it is then I would agree...the guy was funny and very intelligent. The photos were amazing. His website was closed down as he said he was writing a book.

Correction!...I just found it again. He must have closed it for just awhile....off to read bits again.
                            Last edited by Overland Tonka; 14 June 2014, 20:50.
                            .... Which was nice.

Comment

It was pal, I followed with interest and I loved his end of trip jotting.
                              http://www.across-then-up.com

It always looked like a book was going to happen, do you know if he is published yet?
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X