• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch!

ps. Interesting post count, I've now got

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
      Thanks

I'm running RCBOs across the board, so the consumer unit was never a concern. It was the wiring, which is old.

But I'll just go a head now Think I'll plumb for a 180 gas/no case semi-diyer job. Learn what I want from one before spending bigger.

If I take to it on a big scale (I don't see that being so - bit part repairs are my future) I'll wire in a dedicated line.
      I hope you didn't have to pay for them RCBO's-pricey, how many is there? A split rcd board would've done if no more than 12 ways.
      Your rcbo's act like an individual rcd on each circuit. As yoshie said, single phase mig supplied with 13amp plug will be fine on ring main. If it needs say a 16 or 32 amp supply then it will need it's own circuit with a 16 or 32 amp industrial type connector.

Comment

Forgot to mention one thing:- the old wiring thing you mentioned, if it's been tested while you've lived there and it tests out ok as a ring circuit then happy days.If you're not sure about it then maybe worth getting it tested. A ring circuit can function if it's not a true ring, but will not function correctly under fault or overloading conditions.

Comment

Full RCBOs on each circuit. Got them for a great price, new. And I mean the same price as MCBs

Fully compliant as opposed to compliant (not that I care). But mainly really good for any shorts not effecting half of the CU.

Anyways...I've allowed this thread to go way off topic. I was initially asking about power needed for the chassis welding jobs.

I do like to jibba

Comment

Lots of info here.

If you've never welded before at least take a local college starter course before messing around with chassis / critical welding.

Comment

Yeh, I've read plenty on that site Loads of others, too.

Also watched plenty. For a while, now. It's time to get stuck in and practice.

I won't be doing critical parts for a while. Just having fun and practising.

Comment

If you can handle a hot melt glue gun, then you can MIG weld.

On metal over 4mm I would use an ARC (stick) welder for better penetration.

To get the same kind of heat transfer/penetration with a MIG as a you would with an ARC welder, you really need a 3 phase machine.

Anyhoo, have you found a local CO2 gas supplier? The disposable hobby gas cans are a waste of money.

Comment

Cheers Vince There's a local guy on Gumtree that sorts the pub type bottles and refills. Others too (bigger bottles).

Initially I'm going to be playing with Flux core, though. Although I'm aware that gas and solid has better results and less splatter etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X