Bike rack for lifted 3rd Gen rear slung wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike rack for lifted 3rd Gen rear slung wheel

I am having a crisis that perhaps somebody has found a solution to already...

I'm taking the truck camping up to Blair Atholl in a couple of days. I'd like to take a couple of bikes as the family is in tow (not literally - I do allow them in the surf on occasion!). Trouble is I need a bike rack and I'm not sure what best to use.

The truck has a 4" lift + 305/70/16's and the tyres are Mickey T Baja MTD's, so their pretty heavy.The way I see it I'd normally have two options as a roof rack is out off the question given the height.

1. Go for a tyre slung bike mount
    2. Remove the rear wheel and use a standard rack (risk having no spare)

I can't use a hitch type as I don't have a towbar. The problem is, I'm already putting a lit more load on the spare tyre swing at the back, given the larger wheels and tyres. Would I be risking it too much to load a bike rack onto it as well? Does anybody have any idea how much these things can carry safely?

Are their any other options I haven't thought of? Any help on this would be appreciated!
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

I don't have the answers I'm afraid and appologies for hijacking your thread, but are you often parked at the Gyle?
    Great looking surf if it is yours.
    I do have the same problem though as my daughter is now starting to cycle and I need to carry 3 bikes. I need ladders to put them on the roof and my spare is 315 x75 which I suspect is heavy enough

Comment

Hi BS

Yes, that's probably me, although I know there is another lifted 3rd gen nearby who parks at HSBC sometimes, as do I. Mine is Silver/grey, the other guys is blue top silver bumpers.

If I had the time, I'm sure a handy forum member (Yoshi?) could fabricate something that fitted into the sub frame slots at the back where a towbar would normally go.
      Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Put the spare inside and make sure the rest of the family cut their luggage down to make room for it. Simples!
        Last edited by Tankerman; 15 July 2013, 22:31.

Comment

something like this?

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73765
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
            Hi BS

Yes, that's probably me, although I know there is another lifted 3rd gen nearby who parks at HSBC sometimes, as do I. Mine is Silver/grey, the other guys is blue top silver bumpers.

That's me! As mentioned on another thread I've been stalking your surf for months lol. Mine was already lifted when I bought it, I just had to put new tyres on it. If your ever driving past HSBC and some idiot waves to you it will be me

Comment

Originally posted by Black Sheep View Post
              That's me! As mentioned on another thread I've been stalking your surf for months lol. Mine was already lifted when I bought it, I just had to put new tyres on it. If your ever driving past HSBC and some idiot waves to you it will be me
              Aha - Yes, I'm contracting at the other HSBC building. No parking space unfortunately! Will wave if I see you. Small world.

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post

Hey Bud - Thanks - But does that fix to the rear of the car or on the wheel though? Looks like the wheel, which means I'm back to putting a lot of load onto the swing arm.

Ideally I'd want something that secures against the rear door, but goes through or around the spare wheel and holds the bikes against it... Just doesn't look as though that exists.

Comment

Remember the weight is also being spread through the rest of the tailgate when the swingarm is closed. I personally think you'd be fine with the bars I have. Just remember to take the bikes off before you open the swingarm if you are worried about the weight.
                  Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                    Remember the weight is also being spread through the rest of the tailgate when the swingarm is closed. I personally think you'd be fine with the bars I have. Just remember to take the bikes off before you open the swingarm if you are worried about the weight.
                    good point - I may give it a go after some 'scientific' shove / kick tests!

Alternatively I could get a roof cage and tie the spare to that - freeing up the rear. The urgency has become less as the little one has chicken pox - so camping trip is off!

Comment

Fiamma do an excellent one, the carrier is almost identical to the ones you see on the back of some motorhomes but it attaches to a bracket that goes between the spare wheel and its carrier. The bracket can be left on all the time and the carrier attached when it's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
                        Fiamma do an excellent one, the carrier is almost identical to the ones you see on the back of some motorhomes but it attaches to a bracket that goes between the spare wheel and its carrier. The bracket can be left on all the time and the carrier attached when it's needed.
                        Thanks - do you have a link? have g'ged and seen a few but none that are fitted over a rear wheel.

Comment

Hi, sorry for the late reply, this is the fella: http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/car...are_parts.aspx
                          I'm not sure if it's been discontinued, but I got mine off eBay for a very reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                          X