• Show
Clear All

• m.o.t failure help with parts needed

bugger
    went for mot yesterday and failed on the following
    measurement
    brakes failures: RTB brake imbalance: 12% and 66%

reason for refusal
    1) parking brake lever has no reserve travel.
    2) offside front brake hose excessively deteriorated.
    3) rear ( front to rear pipe. near rear axle ) brake pipe excessively corroded.
    4) offside rear ( drop link arm ) anti-roll bar has excessive play in a ball joint.
    5) brakes imbalance across an axle.
    6) nearside rear brake recording little or no effort.
    7) nearside rear rear parking brake recording little or no effort.

i have a friend that's going to do the work for me, says he could get the parts though ALS ( japs 4x4 ) looking at around £105 for parts plus day to sort out. if possible if someone knows whats needed could you advice on the best parts to get and where i would be best buying from. im aware i will probably need a cylinder due to the brake failure, but would at this point be better to get two to keep things balanced ?

any info appreciated

Hi

If it was me, since you'll be bleading the brakes anyway, I'd do all the rubber hoses.
    Being as they will likely be all the same age and save a job next year.

Same with wheel cylinders if that's the fault.

Comment

Check the rear axle seals, they wear out and leak diff oil into the brake drums on the 3rd gen. The seals are available from Roughtrax.
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=seals

Comment

re mot

Thanks for advice, will look into the above. can and would i be best getting all the parts from RT ?

any idea of a cost

Comment

If you are going to be changing the corroded metal brake lines, then these could be replaced using copper brake lines you make up yourself.
          I did similar on my truck when the brake lines corroded through.
          I had to purchase a reel of brake line copper and a flairing kit.
          The brake line I got from a local old school motor factors(Motosave in Wootton Bassett), and the flairing kit was from machine mart, but your mate might have a kit already.
          I would imagine that the OEM price for the brake lines would be a bit pricey.

For the rest I would have a look at the R/T website.
          I know for the 2nd gens they do a flexi brake hose kit at +2" lengths so would take that option as it will save any hassle later when or if you go for a suspension lift.

I know it is a long shot but my previous Mot place, who I no longer use was going to issue a fail due to corroded brake lines that in actual fact the rear heater lines which are disconnected at either end.
          After a free and frank exchange of words he begrudgingly saw the error of his ways and issued a pass.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

My local factor makes the lines to length, flaring, ends and all....so you might not need the tool.

Comment

Working...
            X