yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discos (or just Landys in general): are they REALLY that bad?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discos (or just Landys in general): are they REALLY that bad?!

I'm not about to buy one. I'm not remotely intersted in one. I just want to know. Really, truly, do I keep reading bad things because this is a Surf forum? Or are they really not that good. (It's ok, you can tell me. I won't tell).

Don't take our words for it, have a read here....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...w=1024&bih=677

Comment

Just read the first line of the first Google result. Say no more.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaMonsta View Post
        I'm not about to buy one. I'm not remotely intersted in one. I just want to know. Really, truly, do I keep reading bad things because this is a Surf forum? Or are they really not that good. (It's ok, you can tell me. I won't tell).
        Yes Rusty old crap all of them

Comment

They aren't great but at the same time parts are very cheap and very accessible. I've recently helped a friend from the response group pick up an axle for his discovery, we went to a local breakers yard that had five to choose from and he paid £30 for it. Compare that to me trying to get a little idler pulley for a landcruiser, there's two breakers that have them, one barely replies to any messages and the other wanted £30 for a little wheel.

Comment

As above the cheap parts make up for it. I drove one and quite liked it to be honest but wouldn't spend my own money on one. Not much guts ether.

I can't defend my surf though, I would have probably had better luck with a Land Rover.

Comment

I had a 94 range rover classic 300tdi for about 8 years and it was fine, just run of the mill repairs only changed to a surf as it was starting to rot.

Mot never cost more than £200 for it, and it never let me down, just hoping the surf is as reliable

(range rover bits are about a 1/3 of the cost of bits for the surf)

Comment

If you get a good one early Disco's and RR Classics can be good vehicles, spares are dead cheap but often crap quality. You have to be wanting to do the maintenance yourself though. And own a welder!

I've not heard much good stuff about the later RR's.

I find the tdi engines are a bit of a let down after driving diesels with more torque and power.

Comment

I've got a soft spot for them, I'm even a member of The Scottish Land Rover Owners Club despite being asboed for competing in a jeep lol That said whenever I've thought about buying one I just cannot get passed the price I would have to pay for a heap. I bought both the jeep and the 3rd gen for what would have only got me a LR "project". I was attracted to the cheap insurance and parts but would rather have the quality build ..........er not including the jeep in that description but it's still a damn site better than a land rover

Comment

The argument that although they often break down parts are cheap, does not really hold water here in Africa. It might be an ok vehicle for pottering around rural Britain, but not here. Most countries don't have the AA, you could be stuck in the bush for days...that is not fun. Driving a disco here, or in the Oz outback, is a dangerous and expensive extravagance.

Comment

I had a series two pick up for about two years, and about 40,000 miles.
                      Ran without fault or any issues, apart from normal servicing.

I did rebuilt it from the ground up first mind
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                        The argument that although they often break down parts are cheap, does not really hold water here in Africa. It might be an ok vehicle for pottering around rural Britain, but not here. Most countries don't have the AA, you could be stuck in the bush for days...that is not fun. Driving a disco here, or in the Oz outback, is a dangerous and expensive extravagance.
                        Does anything hold water in Africa? Does anything need to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
                          Does anything hold water in Africa? Does anything need to?

Which reminds me, my friend's disco has a leaky sunroof and windscreen seal. Not nice in the rainy season. My surf is watertight...

Comment

I have had 3 disco's - 200tdi, 300tdi and TD5

the TDI engined ones are very basic, but fairly reliable and cheap for parts, but the rot and rot and rot, and the finnish is toss,

now the TD5...

every week had a issue, orange lights on the dash like a disco - flashing a difrent one a week, the chassis etc had more rust than my 20yr old Surf (Disco was 8yrs old)

and the parts are horrific-ly priced, £220 for a frigging wheel bearing, £400 for a genuine one as appose to £12 for a TDi series

Comment

Blimey. Didn't expect this much negative stuff on the Landys. Before I bought the Surf I was seriously considering getting a series 3 Landy before two blokes at work who have Surfs told me all about them. Really glad I took their advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X