yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discos (or just Landys in general): are they REALLY that bad?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went off roading with 2 mates last week, both in discovery 1's, lifted, mud tyres, widened, the lot, you name the mod, they had it.

The first obstacle was a sort of...well, i cant described it but it produced a see-saw effect with the front left and rear right wheels off the ground and with a 6 ft mud bank either side there was no going around.

It took the 1st land rover 10 minutes to get through, the second, about 5 goes.

I was in my gen 2, totally unmodified surf with the cheapest chinese All Terrain tyres that You cant get. They were looking at me and discussing how they would use ropes to get me through it (before I had even attempted it) as they assumed that with no Diff Locks, I would never clear it.

While they were discussing it, I jumped in the just drive straight over, literally with no fuss at all, The only thing that I did was firm up my suspension to help stop the bouncing and subsequent loss of traction.

It was very funny.

The rest of the trip went like that, The surf surpassed the land rovers in every respect but one, the rear end sticks out too much to go up steep banks, a matter which I'm looking into now.

These guys have spent fortunes on those landies. They are nice cars but are also extremely labour intensive to keep going.

Old surfs should have held their value a lot more given how good they are. There are still loads of them on the road, how many other 20 year old cars are there out on the road in numbers like the gen2 surfs?

Comment

Q.e.d.

Comment

Had a 1990 Defender 90 200tdi. Good truck, despite the rotten Rear crossmember. Drove me 10 miles without diesel so I was thankful for that.

Much prefer the surf for looks and comfort.
        Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

I've just bought a 1955 Series 1, that needs a spot of love, and chassis welding, and new front bearings etc...
          At least i can now justify one of those "Land Rover recovery vehicle" stickers for the Surf. Still, be interesting to see if the Surf makes it 58 years of age!
          RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

As the sticker says "One life live it" not spend your life repairing it !!

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
            X