• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT - Front brake hoses

Morning folks,

I put the truck in for my first MOT on Thursday, and as expected she passed

There were 3 advisory items though...

Brakes Advisories: RBT Park Park brake efficiency: 11%

002 Parking brake - Your vehicle has only just met the required park brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair.

003/004 Offside/Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated.

My initial concern is the front hoses, I park the truck on a flat drive, so not expecting the truck to roll away due to the hand brake issues.

I'm going to go with the braided hose kit from Roughtrax, a couple of bottles of the DOT4 fluid, and a couple of the flexi brake retainer clips.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=171&vid=1582

Doing a bit of reading on here people have mentioned the length of the braided hoses, I think they're concerned with fitting them on lifted trucks, so I don't think the length will be an issue on my non-lifted truck, can anyone confirm, or am I best giving RoughtTrax a call?

Also, others have mentioned getting new bleed nipples, any suggestions/advice on this, I didn't see them on RoughTrax, so is it a main dealer item, or can you suggest somewhere else?

Is there anything else you'd add to my list? I guess it would make sense to order stuff I might need for the handbrake but haven't investigated that as yet, open to suggestions/advice

Is 2 500ml bottles of DOT4 enough?

There's a 3rd hose included with the braided kit, which I assume is for the rear? If this is the case, is there any other rear items I'd need?

I'm also going to look to getting a specific brake pipe spanner, I assume a 10mm is the one? Found this on Halfrauds...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

Got most info from this thread on here, plus will be using this as my guide

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...2brake+hose%22

Thanks in advance guys,

Rog

i had a set put on a 3rd gen standard last month - no problem at all.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Cheers

I think I'll order the bits later in the week, I'm just looking for a few more pointers, advice, etc.

Doing a bit more reading I've seen people mentioning the LSPV, but then some folks say if you've got ABS you're not likely to have a LSPV, but then brake bleeding with ABS might be tricky...

Rog

Comment

I don't think Dr Anglegrinder's ever had trouble bleeding my brakes and I've got ABS ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Cheers Bob,

My problem is as soon as a I read something potentially negative, it sticks in my mind and makes me doubt stuff. Saying that, I think if the ABS was a big issue when it comes to bleeding brakes, pretty much every post on here regarding brake bleeding on a 3rd Gen would have someone pointing out the issues, so I think it'll be fine.

Rog

Comment

I vaguely recall that there's an order to bleed in and if you don't follow it then you may well have trouble - the search will probably pull up some relevant posts

Comment

Found this, posted by Bushwhacker in reply to someone bleeding a 3rd Gen, so pretty sure I can rely on that

Bleeding order:

Near side rear.
              Off side rear.
              Near side front.
              Off side front.

Rog

Comment

The only things more certain than Vince are death and taxes

Comment

I have The Roughtrax supplied Goodridge braided lines on my truck.

3" suspension lift, 2" body lift, no problem. It was the easiest vehicle I've ever changed them on too, for two reasons:

1, there are only three
                  2, I didn't even need to jack it up.

I'd soak the fittings in WD-40 the day before if you can, and I usually use a brake line spanner to eliminate the chance of rounding off the soft metal fittings.

There was no LSPV on mine. And the bleeding order is the same as pretty much every other vehicle, start with the furthest corner from the master cylinder, and work towards it.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Cheers Karma,

I'll get the parts ordered then and have a crack next weekend if the weathers half decent.

Thanks

Rog

Comment

Bleeding brakes is simple, if you know how - if you don't know how; don't do it. Brakes are not the best thing to practice your DIY skills on.

Anyway, most modern ABS systems need computers to manipulate the valves in the pump body so that the pump can be bled. But you're not touching the pump, so all should be OK.

The correct sequence for ABS systems is:

Master cylinder
                      Rear antilock valve
                      Combination valve
                      Front antilock valve
                      N/S rear wheel
                      O/S rear wheel
                      N/S front wheel
                      O/S front wheel

If you swap the hoses over without losing much fluid (you should only lose the fluid that's in the old hose) and you bleed each brake when you swap the hose, you'll be fine.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'll have to do some more reading up on the location of these you've now added to my 'bleeding' list Al

Master cylinder
                        Rear antilock valve
                        Combination valve
                        Front antilock valve

By the way Al, its actually your words of wisdom from the post I've linked on the first page that I'm intending to adhere to...

Front hoses...

Use a brake pipe spanner and the nut won't round off.

Clamp the old pipe, remove it from the caliper end. Fit the new pipe to the caliper end, then remove the old pipe from the other end and fit the new one. Less mess.

Rear hose...

Slightly different approach. Clamp the old rubber hose as before. There's a 'T' piece at the rear axle, the hose and 2 pipes are connected to it. Undo both pipes, slacken the hose, take the bolt out of the 'T' piece, then unscrew it from the hose.

Fit the new hose to the 'T' piece, loosely bolt the 'T' piece to the axle, connect the 2 pipes to the 'T' piece and tighten the mounting bolt. Loosen the pipe from the old hose, remove the clip, then as quickly as you can, disconnect the old hose and connect the pipe to the new hose. Re-fit the clip then tighten the pipe connection.

Bleed as before and Robert is your mother's brother.

As before, unless you're 100% sure you can do this, DON'T!

Thanks again

Rog

Comment

Don't worry about the first steps, they only really matter if the system loses a lot of fluid. Do the swaps quickly and you'll be fine.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ps. DON'T let ya Master cylinder run Dry n you'll be fine just follow what ya been told !!
                            Good Luck

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers guys, I was hoping to renew the brake fluid as part of the upgrade to the braided hoses, in which case I guess I'd need to follow the full bleed sequence Al has posted?

If so, can anyone shed any light on the various valves mentioned? i.e. their locations and what they look like, and any tips on bleeding them please.

Thanks

Rog

Comment

Working...
                              X