Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
    Hello,

The garage is a very, very long and complicated story. As a matter of fact, there are many local garages involved in different parts of the car. I know that is not a right thing to do but, what can you do? Money is a big issue.

MOENCO is the sole Toyota spare parts importer and the most respected garage in the country. But they are overpriced. You can perform a full service+paint job at another respectable garage with the money you pay MOENCO for only a paint job.

Garages in my country do not rely on genuine parts, rather aftermarket products and retrofits and modified parts. As I said before this is mainly a money issue. Buying the car itself will deplete your economy as a Surf SSR-X 1991-1994 costs 18,500 USD and a 3rd gen Surf costs up to 34,000 USD (yes, that is US Dollars). [check out this site - http://www.mekina.net/?search-class=...&search=Search - 1USD ~ 19ETB) Thats the same for all cars. A post 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser V8 costs up to 160,000 USD.

I have had good deals for changing the auto box to a manual one, but I don't trust their work. I have planned to sell the car multiple times, but as it is a family car its hard to bring every one to an agreement.

I have changed the ATF completely and flushed the rad. The car is now running fine and everything works, but I don't think it will last for long. Because I found a lot of oil, quite similar to the old ATF's, in the rad. There is a mix up some where.
    Hi Tamrat,
    yes there is a mix , it's happening in the radiator. The radiator cools the engine, and the lower part of the radiator cools the ATF fluid.They are 2 different , separate chambers. There are a couple of good section pictures on this forum, but can't remember exactly where, or the name of the threads.
    As your radiator is possibly damaged or corroded, you are getting the coolant/water and the ATF fluid mixed up, which I fear might eventually destroy the Auto box and disrupt the normal cooling of the engine. So you really need to get the issue sorted, by having a reputable garage replace the radiator with a decent one, new or reconditioned (doesnt have to be a toyota one), and replace the ATF fluid with new fluid.
    Then sell the vehicle.
    I know exactly what you mean about car prices: we have the same issues here, there is a 120% import duty on each vehicle, which then is compounded by all the other taxes and the other costs (import, registration etc). That's why I suggest you try and invest some money to recover the cost of your original investment.
    As for the auto to manual conversion, I have seen a surf done here in Malawi, bit of a bodge really, reverse is difficult to engage as the seat is in the way! I am not a fan , however if dnoe properly it might be worth a try. Auto boxes on jap toyota imports are usually strong , and little ever goes wrong with them, there are rav 4s and corollas here that have been around 10 years and the auto transmission has never had a fluid change, and al is fine.

Dont drive the car while the fluids are mixed up coz I think that'll mess it up even worse.
    cheers
    fabrizio
    Last edited by tashtego; 26 February 2013, 09:14.

Comment

Working...
    X