surf owners club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by icsys
    Whilst I have no objection to paying some sort of membership fee to cover web hosting costs etc...(within reason) you don't want to alienate would-be members by charging more than a nominal 'donation'
    I say donation because membership fees are taxable.

If an official club is seriously being considered then a poll should be ran as it is a possiblity that few forum members will actually show interest.

I hope I am wrong as it could be beneficial especially as this vehicle is an import.
    How about a Donation then?
    You pay your donation/membership fee and that gives you FULL access to this site?
    All the technical help and info and being able to post messages is with held until you have paid a fee?
    Work it out............
    £15 Per Year x300 Members = £4500 per year.
    That would pay for the site, any upgrades required.
    There could also be a Members Pack?
    Containing Stickers, key ring, info & advice that sort of thing.
    The rest of the money could go towards Off Road Days around the country????????

Just a thought
    NEVER REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE...REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVEN'T

Comment

Originally posted by colincd
      You pay your donation/membership fee and that gives you FULL access to this site?
      All the technical help and info and being able to post messages is with held until you have paid a fee?
      Whilst i appreciate what youre saying this will alienate the average forum member who may not want to pay fees. Plus the owner(s) of this site may not have intended for it to be a 'pay for use' site. I think SparX idea is better, but this kind of discussion should be for all concerned. Especially the site owner.
      Ian
      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

OK Heres my view.

Whilst i appreciate all the positive comments on setting up a club, I really cannot commit to doing it at the moment.
        I am still getting the web site up and fully running, adding bits every day virtually. The Forum has taken some getting up and running and there are still a few things being done to it to keep it running smooth (thankyou Andy).
        Ideally I would like to get these things sorted first, get Christmas out of the way and then sit down and dedicate some time to thinking about setting up a club and canvas some ideas.
        There are as we speak a couple of things in the pipeline, so would also like to get these off the ground and see how things go with these first.
        I am not ruling out a club but just giving myself some breathing space for the time being, everything is happening so fast. I am not complaining about that just need to do things one at a time so each idea gets the time and committment to make it successful.
        Many thanks for all your comments and committment.

Nigel.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

No probs....
          Keep the club idea on the back burner until you have more time to give it the commitment it would need.
          I have quite a bit of spare time so if u need a hand with anything nearer the time just let us know.
          Ian

Comment

I agree with that.
            They are ALL just Ideas being thrown around, thats one of the best things about a Forum like this, many people from ALL walks of life that share a common interest "Surf's & 4 Runners".
            I think that EVERYONE that uses this Forum will agree with me when I say that we ALL appreciate what you, Lucky, Tony and everyone else has done and are still doing.
            Everything takes time and as you rightly said............

"I am not ruling out a club but just giving myself some breathing space for the time being, everything is happening so fast."

I have only been a member of this Forum since August and it has just got better and better.
            No doubt "with time" it will be possible to move onto the next stage "Club Status" but until then you will have my full support and I should think you have the support of "Everyone" who uses this forum as well.

Phew, glad I got that of my chest
            NEVER REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE...REGRET THE THINGS YOU HAVEN'T

Comment

To everyone concerned with running the website forum etc,I would like to add my support,and would like to echo everything written in this thread re an Owners Club(in time).Not only would a membership fee raise capital,it would get rid of time wasters and freeloaders.Keep up the great work guys it IS appreciated.
              Powered by ????

Comment

gotta add my 2p-worth - I really appreciate what to me has become one of the best forum's about - great group of people - very helpful and you get my full support too
                Dave

Comment

A Man of few words ....................

Ditto !

http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

owners club

Excellent idea, a club could promote the surf and get us some discounts. Ex broker myself so know if pays to have a little clout when approaching ins co's.

Steve

ssr-x 3.0td ltd

ps

new to this surf stuff, just done my 1st week !! anyone know what the ect button does ??
                    Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Originally posted by ssrx
                      ssr-x 3.0td ltd

ps

new to this surf stuff, just done my 1st week !! anyone know what the ect button does ??

welcome to surf world.

the ECT Stands for something like Electronic controlled transmission. if its selected then its sposed to hold your gears longer , i.e using more revs , to give you more power.

Not noticed much difference myself !
                      http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

You may find this link helpful
                        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                        Ian

Comment

Can I just say something.........

1. Do Koi, Andy, Tony etc want to 'RUN' anything??

2. Does anything need 'Running'?? (We do seem to do alright with the MANAGEMENT / MAFIA looking after us now)

3. The last 3 forums I have been around on have become Clubs. Soon after, the original guys who started it hated it and b*ggered off, so the 'Clubs' were taken over by aliens with anoraks who followed 'policy', 'procedure' and 'ettiquet???'

Most of all they become 'Official' and 'Proper' and 'Proffesional' What happens to the fun ????

I have no problem with chipping in, membership fees, whatever, but why is the 'CLUB' label necessary ?

Its great to join in and be involved but do we NEED to belong to something to enjoy ourselves ????

Sorry to put the dampener amongst things but I have seen it happen 3 times and didn't like it

Most of all.... do Koi et-al want to become President, VP or Boss of a club ? (Although I reckon the guys deserve some fees )

Sorry to b a miserable git, but I've said it now I'll go back to my hole.
                          Jim
                          [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Spot on.

You beat me to that one they do enough as it is and dam well.

Rubblebags.
                            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Nothing needs to change... The original idea (i believe) was to have an official title in order to get discounts on insurance etc......
                              There should be no need to change anything really. It's just that to become 'official' you need to elect officers.
                              Ian

Comment

I'll cite 2 examples:

1. The Celica Owners Club.

Started by a really nice guy, with some mates who drove imported celica's. We joined in with the only Cabrio and had a great year.
                                Year two we became Official. One of the guys left, as he didn't feel involved coz he had no job, therefore no celica, therefore felt useless and disappeared.
                                The guy who started it all began to feel it taking over his entire life, his mate had gone so he walked - somewhat in disgust.
                                The new 'bosses' are 18 year olds with big salaries, therefore brand new celicas.... leaving us with the 7 year old ones out of it. The only discussions they have now are about how powerful a pc they can build in the boot of the car (seriously !!)

2. The Volvo Performance Car Section
                                Don't laugh.... they're bloody evil motors ...... mine was near 300bhp in its day. The guy who organised us was good fun... did the moderator thing cos he lovd the car and we were all mates (all 200 of us) ...not because he wanted to run something - a bit like us lot now.
                                The minute AGM's and elective office was mentioned he was pushed out by more 'savvy' members who ended every post with things like "8 out of 10 road accidents are caused by SPEEDING" and inviting us to steam rallies !!!!!! We were 25 year old loonies with 250+bhp cars and organised trips to Santa Pod drag strip........ steam rallies ????? Needless to say the original members have left and the performance club is down to about 60 people now.

Enuff from meee.........

I AM the MORISSEY of the Car Club World

Jim
                                [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Working...
                                X