Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air con refilled

hi all
    ive found a garage that will get the gear to refill out surfs but only if a load of us will have it done. now it will cost £100 each as he has to empty the old system and replace the filter( didnt know there was one ) as the old gas and new gas would explode, each car would take about 1 hour to do so we will need to book them in, so anyone interested let me know and i will tell the garage so he can buy the unit. tyne and wear area
    cheers bravo

Originally posted by bravo View Post
    hi all
    ive found a garage that will get the gear to refill out surfs but only if a load of us will have it done. now it will cost £100 each as he has to empty the old system and replace the filter( didnt know there was one ) as the old gas and new gas would explode, each car would take about 1 hour to do so we will need to book them in, so anyone interested let me know and i will tell the garage so he can buy the unit. tyne and wear area
    cheers bravo
    If only it was a simple as just swapping the gases(it isn't) but seeing as your garage know what they are doing(they don't) I would suggest looking up their F gas registration number (legal requirement since July 4 2011)and seeing what previous experience they have doing this work,hopefully it is not the same garage that said your recent judder was your turbo.But on a point of fact please see below;
    The gases when mixed will not explode,if the filter is not changed.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Subtle....

There is drop in gas to replace R12 that doesn't need any extra work done, its not quite as cold, but works fine.

I get charged about £60 to do it as the gas is expensive.

3.0's with R134a gas are no hassle and about £35
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The main factor to consider is the oil used in the compressor.
        One other concern is the two gases do not have the same physical properties,ie different pressure/temperature relationship.

The original oil used on R12 systems is a mineral oil.
        The oil used on R134a systems is a polyol ester oil.
        These oils do not readily mix and mineral oil is not miscible with R134a.

Like Tony has said drop-ins work fine they do what they were designed to do.The drop-ins were developed for exactly this purpose, and they work with mineral and synthetic oils ,they have a very similar pressure/temperature slope and do not cause problems.

Would I pay £100 for someone to experiment with my Surf ? NO.

Having said all that if you know what you are doing you can run R134a in the systems.

My Surf has been running with R134a for at least 8 years and has been totally fine.
        It would still be fine if the underslung condensor had not met Salisbury Plain.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I had mine regassed just over a month and half ago by my local garage , they charged me £15 as they know me , and told me they will do anyone I recommend for £30.
          PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
            I had mine regassed just over a month and half ago by my local garage , they charged me £15 as they know me , and told me they will do anyone I recommend for £30.
            £30 for a happy ending ? seems a bit steep
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Quick Fit did mine last week, £60 or thereabouts.
              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Working...
              X