help needed, at a loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed, at a loss.

fitted the new fuel filter unit today, primed it, cracked off injectors, had diesel flying everywhere, tightened them up and went for a drive, all was ok, then dead, no warning no coughing just dead!

played with it at the side of the road, few pumps of primer and hard, had a look about, cracked off injectors again and cranked over, and now have bugger all fuel at the injectors.

what should i check first? checked the voltage on the SCV and getting 0.5-0.6 with ignition on. something is telling me this isnt right so, could it be a dead ECU?

if so why did it start up and have fuel everywhere then all of a sudden die?
    Last edited by muddle; 19 June 2012, 15:10.
    well, that was a bad idea!

I will start by saying I know fec all about truck electrics. However I spent hours and hours along with my brother faffaing about with his truck after we replaced the head. The truck would start and drive then die, wouldn't start then start and die. We changed pumps, filters, injectors everything we and others on here could think off. Turned out to be a broken wire in the loom probably caused by us pushing things around when replacing the head.

Search for Kerrsurf's thread in 3.0 mechanical section if you want all the details.
    Brian

Comment

How long did it last before it died?

Did you fill the new filter with something liquid and combustible?
      Last edited by Albannach; 17 June 2012, 12:30.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

yep filter full, lasted about 5 minuites.

yoshie, where was the wire in question?

Comment

How long have you cranked the engine for?

Comment

Anyway ... go back out, tighten everything up and crank the engine until it starts.

Comment

ok ill give that a go, how long can it take, been cranking for 5 mins, about 20 secs a time. but ill try again and get back to you. ta

Comment

nothing atall, not even a glimpse.

what shall i do now?

Comment

Crank it again. Did you interfere with something else when you were doing the filter?

Comment

nope nothing. had to swap all the pipes round and remove banjo unions out of them to refit a toyota primer unit, but thats it.

but if i crack an injector off i get a small dribble of fuel coming out while cranking, was bellowing out earlier. could the pump be foobar?

Comment

What exactly did you fit? The primer only has 2 rubber hoses on it.

I still think you're not cranking the engine for long enough. Go out and try again; this time, use your watch and tell us exactly gow long you crank it for. It could take over a minute of constant cranking.

All of this is assuming you've not made an arse of refitting the stuff you removed.

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                        foobar?
                        FUBAR, it's an acronym.

I doubt you could damage the injector pump whilst changing a remote filter; but, for some folk, nothing is impossible.

Comment

Remove the filter, refill with fuel and refit. Prime then bleed injectors again. If it starts then replace the o-ring (the very small one) that is on the drain tap. If not then keep looking for another problem.

Nev

Comment

right, the old primer was a universal unit with a landover filter. the old primer didnt have push on pipes like the one now, it had banjo bolts and unions wedged into the pipes which i have now removed and fitted the correct unit.

im now not sure if this was the original problem when it died first a few days ago. but when i changed the filter unit over the injector pipes were throwing diesel everywhere when i dranked it with them cracked off, then tightened and its dead now after a drive.

no diesel atall at injectors. im cranking it 30 secs at a time. dont want to blow the starter motor.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                              Remove the filter, refill with fuel and refit. Prime then bleed injectors again. If it starts then replace the o-ring (the very small one) that is on the drain tap. If not then keep looking for another problem.

Nev
                              done and no start, still no fuel to injectors bar a dribble.

plus after a start attempt (60secs of cranking) the primer takes 5 to 7 pumps to go hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X