Loom for fog / spotlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loom for fog / spotlights

Does the wiring loom in a 3rd Gen Surf have connections for fog or spotlights? I bought a pair of Baja spotlights from Roughtrax and they need fitting. Thanks.
    Last edited by Surf01; 15 May 2012, 09:12.

Not hard to wire them yourself.
    Here's two methods, the first diagram shows how to wire them to come on independant of the headlights, the second diagram shows how to wire them to come on with high beams with a switch to isolate them from the headlights.

Comment

I purchased the vehicle with spotlights that had been fitted at some stage, but were disconnected. Unfortunately the person who had it prior to me also fitted leds across the top of the headlights, blue led lighting on the side steps and blue led lighting in the passenger well. These all operate from a switch in the cabin, but with numerous wires around.
      Are there any extra bits and pieces required, i.e. relays etc or can the spots be connected direct into the loom via a specific connection? I would prefer to be as per your second suggestion.
      BTW what is the "thing" marked with figures 30, 85, 86, 87?

I have just had another look at the Surf and it seems that the spotlights would have come standard with it from factory. There is a proper on and off switch for the spots in the cabin with a cable leading from the battery to the switch. From there I am lost! The other lights are on a different circuit.
      Last edited by Surf01; 15 May 2012, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
        BTW what is the "thing" marked with figures 30, 85, 86, 87?
        Thats the relay.

It would be better to wire the spotlights seperately with their own switch.
        Items you need to fit spotlights are:
        12v 30amp automotive relay.
        Illuminated 12v switch.
        An in-line fuse holder.
        15a fuse.
        Some 17a wire.
        Crimp on, insulated spade terminals.

If you look on e-bay or even Halfords, there are spotlight wiring kits available.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Thats the relay.

It would be better to wire the spotlights seperately with their own switch.
          Items you need to fit spotlights are:
          12v 30amp automotive relay.
          Illuminated 12v switch.
          An in-line fuse holder.
          15a fuse.
          Some 17a wire.
          Crimp on, insulated spade terminals.

If you look on e-bay or even Halfords, there are spotlight wiring kits available.
          As the original lights were probably factory standard, I would imagine that all the goodies are there already. Being a total dummy when it comes to car electrics where is the most likely place to find the relay as once I recognise and find it. I can probably do the job if I can find a long enough wrench to remove the current spots.
          If an auto electrician were to do it for me, approximately how long will it take assuming that all the relays and wiring are already in place?
          Last edited by Surf01; 15 May 2012, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
            As the original lights were probably factory standard, I would imagine that all the goodies are there already. Being a total dummy when it comes to car electrics where is the most likely place to find the relay as once I recognise and find it. I can probably do the job if I can find a long enough wrench to remove the current spots.
            If an auto electrician were to do it for me, approximately how long will it take assuming that all the relays and wiring are already in place?
            Probably between twenty minutes to half an hour

Comment

or you could just T the wire from the main beam wires, no fuse no relay, ruin everything and cause endless issues afterwards.

personally i think the first method was the best, ill be keeping that for when i want to put spots back on.

as its said, do it properly or not atall, bodges cause grief!
              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

have a go at this one
                Attached Files
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  have a go at this one
                  Good god, you'll need Drax power station under the bonnet to light that lot

Comment

Nah - he's only got 5w lamps in them !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                      have a go at this one
                      Diagram makes sense although I will only require one relay for two spotlights. My problem is the physical side and locating the current relay and wiring. Also I need a big socket wrench with a long extension to get to nuts on the current spotlights as they sit on top of the bullbar as per the picture.
                      Maybe better to spend £65 getting the spots fitted by an auto electrician instead of buying a sockets et and then battling to do everything myself.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I understand mate, useually the physicle side is the worst part, are you keeping those spotlights thats already on there? if so then the worst parts already done, if not it's just getting them off and replaceing them and thats just nuts and bolts, knuckle skimming etc,
                        as for the wiring it is really not as bad as it looks, the parts you will need should only cost about 20 - 25 quid if that, actually i think i'd have the stuff in the garage to do it all, if your spots have 55watt bulbs then one relay will do (30-40 amp relay) but if your upgrading to 110 watt or whatever i'd use one relay per spot,
                        only tools ya need are wire stripper and a crimping tool (apart from drill bits etc to actually fit the relay to the bulkhead and a switch in the cab,
                        be happy to talk you through the fitting and send any cable you will need,
                        anyway entirly up to you,
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

What are you doing with the ones that come off if they are any good?

Comment

Working...
                          X