No announcement yet.

cheapest lift possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lifted my truck the other weekend,with Roughtrax +2 inch springs,and wound the torsion bars up,as Tony says. I think the ride and handling are great,although I did also refit the rear ARB,new front ball joints,and replaced all the front bronze bushes,so I'm unsure exactly where the handling improvment has come from!!
    I had Landcruiser springs on my last truck but I felt the ride was too choppy over rough ground.

Regards

Mark
    A few pictures to give you an idea:-

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
      I lifted my truck the other weekend,with Roughtrax +2 inch springs,and wound the torsion bars up,as Tony says. I think the ride and handling are great,although I did also refit the rear ARB,new front ball joints,and replaced all the front bronze bushes,so I'm unsure exactly where the handling improvment has come from!!
      I had Landcruiser springs on my last truck but I felt the ride was too choppy over rough ground.

Regards

Mark
      A few pictures to give you an idea:-

I know this is old so a bit of a bump but - how did you mount the wheel underside? Is it an easy mod? I'd like to get shot of carrying mine over the tailgate as it's just a bit easy for a thief!

Comment

A lot of the 2nd Gens had the spare underside as standard, my sons one is. You will need to get the lot of a breaker and the rear bumper and lowering kit
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

With respect, I'd keep yours where it is. Neverminding the faff involved with installing the underslung hardware, you'll be left with a lot more of a faff getting it down when you need it. The underslung spare and winding mechanism get covered in road/off road filth very quickly, and it's a mucky job getting it down.

When you get a flat in the ####ing rain at 1am and you're lying flat on your back in filthy puddles swearing at a stuck mechanism that won't wind the tyre down as it's jammed up with crap, you'll wish it was on the back still, at an easy level to get at.

Also mounting it underneath won't remove the threat of it being stolen - if they want it that badly they'll wind it down themselves. In my opinion, just whack a locking nut on your spare where it's mounted currently.

Owen

Comment

Exactly the reason I changed from underslung to a carrier (plus 33's wont fit under there and at the time I wanted the space for a second veg oil tank) as pyemaster says it is a real paint in the arse (and back) getting a heavy spare from under it, winding that mechanism seems to take forever and it jams easily, I have a wheel locking nut on the swing out spare.
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I was thinking more from the perspective of gaining underslung weight to it as I plan on doing a body lift etc so was thinking to get the centre of gravity down

Comment

Working...
              X