No announcement yet.

Oil leak dilema...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the get a new gasket camp. I believe typing, with ones Johnson, has been discussed here before also.

Well done everyone.
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Do as one of our customers did... weld a tea tray under the leak and wait

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
        Im with that plan but less work take an old card board box flatten it and stick it under ya motor until its fixed.?

Im keeping quiet about all the RTV stuff (not going there again) and favour the new gasket angle

Go dare you
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Update

Its not leaking from the cam cover. Just to clear that one up!
          So a new gasket as suggested by everyone, is not required, nor is it the problem.

I washed, degreased, jetwashed and jetwashed again the engine after doing the gasket check. I can now see fresh ENGINE OIL coming from the top of the first head bolt on the RHS looking into the engine bay....

It's still dripping off the bell housing, the sumps covered, as is the cross member....

Anyone want to buy a decent surf with a slight leak?
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwisurfing View Post
            Silly question but what colour oil are we talking about, possible its the fuel pump, its on the right side looking from the front if that what you mean? It goes dark by the time its picked up crap off the side of the engine block?

Either way if its leaking from somewhere theres not really that many easy options, its replace buggered gasket/seal or that stupid "stop leak" crap in a bottle but in my opinion that stuff does more harm than good as well as only postponing the problem.

Or if its like my poor old truck it leaks from every place possible and you just get used to weekly water blastings of the engine bay
            The fuel pump leaked when I had veg oil in, but its resealed since. The leak from the Veg oil was very impressive, this leak is more subtle, so not sure its the same, but will have a look tomorrow...
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post

I washed, degreased, jetwashed and jetwashed again the engine after doing the gasket check. I can now see fresh ENGINE OIL coming from the top of the first head bolt on the RHS looking into the engine bay....

So why the fcuk didn't you do that in the first place instead of asking on here where a leak on your engine could be coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Its not leaking from the cam cover. Just to clear that one up!
                So a new gasket as suggested by everyone, is not required, nor is it the problem.

It's still dripping off the bell housing, the sumps covered, as is the cross member....

Anyone want to buy a decent surf with a slight leak?
                I would if I had the money
                Anyone wanna buy a modded 2.4
                PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  So why the fcuk didn't you do that in the first place instead of asking on here where a leak on your engine could be coming from?
                  Cos i really believe this is not the only leak i have as its too much for what i think might be coming from bolt 1 and the spread of oil underneath is quite spectacular...... I suppose i wanted to hear "yes part A needs a new gasket, and part b can be sorted quite easily as these are the main problem areas...." or something similar.
                  You haven't seen my engine. There's more oil on it than in it. Probably.

Runs nicely though!
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                    Anyone wanna buy a modded 2.4
                    does it leak?
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Nope
                      PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Saw your post on my old oil leak thread...... mine has resurfaced after 2 years from putting on a new head gasket.
                        It leaks from between the head and the block at the rear, runs down the bell housing and then by magic spreads
                        everywhere before finding the lowest point and dripping.

So my theory is that the oil feed to the head is at the back on the outer edge of the head. With a new 5 hole head
                        gasket the seal rings around the pots are quite thick and you tighten them down and they crush, but the rest of the gasket
                        has just got raised rims around he various holes for water and the single oil feed at the rear.
                        The only thing i can think is that the oil pressure through the gasket is high at that point and the combination of the thicker
                        5 hole head gasket has reduced the sealing around the oil feed to the head and over time it has managed to squeeze past the
                        raised rims, and once a flow starts it just gets bigger.
                        Now wether the head was dinked when putting it back on at the outer edge near the oil feed hole, or the head needs skimming
                        due to its bad installation first time round before i owned the truck i don't know all i know is its gunna cost me money to fix......

Remember arrows are silent.....................
                        Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Working...
                        X