Oil leak dilema...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak dilema...

Got the rocker cover off yesterday, cleaned up, and applied silicone at both ends.

Still leaking.

I have oil dripping off the bell housing (is there such a thing on an auto...?), and from the RHS of the engine as you look at it, onto the cross member.

My dilema: The truck is a work tool, and I have to park on customers driveways - it's now getting a little too bad to "dismiss" ie an inch round pool every day....

Going to Toyota is not an option. I believe it would cost me more than the truck is worth!

So, really, what are the options?

This is going to come to a head sooner rather than later, so need to "bite the bullet" quickly.... whatever route I need to take.

Options and thoughts please...?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Hi Wolfie,

A new gasket from RT will fix it.

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Buy a new gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Buy a new gasket?
        YESSSSSSS!!!!

I beat him to it.
        Typing lessons have helped.

Gman.

Comment

I had the head replaced about a year ago, remember. The rubber gasket seems okay with no obvious tracks. I even put a smear of silicone around the whole top of the head, just in case.
          Now, if it ain't leaking from there, how do I ( a novice and not a time served surf mechanic) find where it is? the fromt and RHS are so full of bits, you can't even see the block never mind identify joints...

Think I need some professional help, it's just where to turn....
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
            YESSSSSSS!!!!

I beat him to it.
            Typing lessons have helped.

Gman.
            Dammit!

I'm gonna have to start typing with my fingers again now.

Comment

The oil on the crossmember from the O/S of the motor is normally the power steering pump.

Oil on the bell housing (N/S) could also be the turbo oil feed pipes copper washers on the banjo bolt.

If it is the Rocker Cover, and the gasket is old and hard, silicone won't help unless you put all the way round, but best to get a new gasket. Have you used RTV all the way round the rear cut out insert at the back of the head?
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                I had the head replaced about a year ago, remember. The rubber gasket seems okay with no obvious tracks. I even put a smear of silicone around the whole top of the head, just in case.
                Now, if it ain't leaking from there, how do I ( a novice and not a time served surf mechanic) find where it is? the fromt and RHS are so full of bits, you can't even see the block never mind identify joints...

Think I need some professional help, it's just where to turn....

See here

Comment

Dammit!

I'm gonna have to start typing with my fingers again now.
                  Fingers? Why?, what are you using NOW!!
                  Hope you're not being rude. (not the eleventh digit I hope)

Gman.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                    Fingers? Why?, what are you using NOW!!
                    Hope you're not being rude. (not the eleventh digit I hope)

Gman.

Telekinesis.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      The oil on the crossmember from the O/S of the motor is normally the power steering pump.

Oil on the bell housing (N/S) could also be the turbo oil feed pipes copper washers on the banjo bolt.

If it is the Rocker Cover, and the gasket is old and hard, silicone won't help unless you put all the way round, but best to get a new gasket. Have you used RTV all the way round the rear cut out insert at the back of the head?
                      Oil is on the NS crossmember, its built up quite thick with dust/dirt etc, so assume this is a long standing issue.
                      The PS pump is leaking, slowly, but not to the extent of the oil, i am losing on the driveway...
                      Like I said, the gasket is new, came with the new RT head... the half round cut out appeared to be attached to the cam shaft, i started undoing 2 bolts for the cam, and thought better of it and put it all back together again.
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Telekinesis.
                        Pheww, that's OK then.

Gman.

Comment

Hello John,
                          I dunno if your new fangled motor (new fangled to a 2.4 owner!! )has the rubber hose on the air intake pipe just before the inlet manifold ?
                          Mine was split and we all know how much trouble split rubber can cause.the split on mine was causing oil to dribble all down the n s of the engine block.
                          Might be worth a look and see if your rubber is split/perished.
                          Obviously if your motor doesn't have this rubber pipe on the inlet manifold then I have just wasted yours and my time.

Option 2 would be to delete the post and sell it to Animal 😄
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                            Hello John,
                            I dunno if your new fangled motor (new fangled to a 2.4 owner!! )has the rubber hose on the air intake pipe just before the inlet manifold ?
                            Mine was split and we all know how much trouble split rubber can cause.the split on mine was causing oil to dribble all down the n s of the engine block.
                            Might be worth a look and see if your rubber is split/perished.
                            Obviously if your motor doesn't have this rubber pipe on the inlet manifold then I have just wasted yours and my time.

Option 2 would be to delete the post and sell it to Animal ��
                            That's the oil breather from the cam shaft cover i believe, and no, mine deff connected, and its at the front OS, I am clear of leaks here..!

Option 2: could do, but I'd have to build him a little driveway pit to retain the oil as his driveway slopes the other way to mine...
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post

I have oil dripping off the bell housing (is there such a thing on an auto...?), and from the RHS of the engine as you look at it, onto the cross member.

So, really, what are the options?
                              Silly question but what colour oil are we talking about, possible its the fuel pump, its on the right side looking from the front if that what you mean? It goes dark by the time its picked up crap off the side of the engine block?

Either way if its leaking from somewhere theres not really that many easy options, its replace buggered gasket/seal or that stupid "stop leak" crap in a bottle but in my opinion that stuff does more harm than good as well as only postponing the problem.

Or if its like my poor old truck it leaks from every place possible and you just get used to weekly water blastings of the engine bay
                              Its a new truck, Because every parts been replaced

Comment

Working...
                              X