Is it recovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it recovery?

Is rescuing people in the deep snow with a 4x4 and a tow-rope classed as recovery? If so then insurance companies would frown upon us helping people out in the bad weather wouldn't they?

Originally posted by Voodoo-Child View Post
    Is rescuing people in the deep snow with a 4x4 and a tow-rope classed as recovery? If so then insurance companies would frown upon us helping people out in the bad weather wouldn't they?
    Almost certainly.
    Yes.

PS why do you ask? Have you got snow yet where you are?
    Last edited by flounderbout; 6 October 2011, 16:20.

Comment

I ask because....when people ask me for help...I can legitimately tell them I can't as I'm not insured to do it.

I have something similar to snow....in my freezer....

Comment

Insurance companies only have a smiley face when taking your money, if you want any of it back for any reason then things change!

As far as I understand it you aren't insured when towing another vehicle at all so out of ditches, snow or just 100 yards down the road for a mate who's broken down are all not allowed.

You could become a member of a 4x4 rescue team? With my local one (forget the name but they keep asking me to join) you won't be allowed to help people up a hill or off of their driveway and other non-emergencies but if you call it in then you will be on their insurance for clearing roads or pulling cars from ditches etc. (I'm generallising I'm sure, other considerations may need to be taken into account).

That's how I understand it anyway.
        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

I'm not so sure I have a local 4x4 rescue team.....theres a local 4x4 offroading club...but they have more chance of getting you stuck than rescuing you.....

Comment

Google '4x4response' theres probably one near you

Comment

Why would you not want to help someone out, especially when asked? We get bad press for 95% of the year, it's good to see nice stories for the other 5%.

I was asked, by the police, to move a stuck vehicle (A brand new Jeep with a very smelly clutch) that was causing an obstruction. How do you think they'd have reacted if I'd said, no?
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                Why would you not want to help someone out, especially when asked? We get bad press for 95% of the year, it's good to see nice stories for the other 5%.

I was asked, by the police, to move a stuck vehicle (A brand new Jeep with a very smelly clutch) that was causing an obstruction. How do you think they'd have reacted if I'd said, no?
                Don't think anyone is suggesting that in fairness. I always tow/help/dig people out in the snow. But the point is be careful, because doing so probably means you are not insured.
                And it ius not just you having an accident either. Smiley chap with a Beamer who you are trying to help out will be less smiley if you slide back into his £50k car. And that could hurt if you have no insurance.
                So help out, but be careful.

Comment

I ask because....when people ask me for help...I can legitimately tell them I can't as I'm not insured to do it.
                  Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                  Don't think anyone is suggesting that in fairness.
                  I must have misunderstood what VC said.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

If you had of said 'sorry Officer, but my insurance doesn't cover me for that' I'm sure he would have understood.....what reaction would they give if they pulled you over and you told them you didnt have insurance...would they say 'oh...thats ok...cos I heard you pulled someone out of the snow back in 2010/11....on your way' I have my 4x4 for my benefit...not everyone elses. No-one would help me....I'm fed with people taking a lend of me....so I'm afraid I wont be helping anyone again this year either. If I can physically push them myself then I'll have a go.....but that'll be about it.

Comment

If you had of said 'sorry Officer, but my insurance doesn't cover me for that' I'm sure he would have understood.....what reaction would they give if they pulled you over and you told them you didnt have insurance...would they say 'oh...thats ok...cos I heard you pulled someone out of the snow back in 2010/11....on your way' I have my 4x4 for my benefit...not everyone elses. No-one would help me....I'm fed with people taking a lend of me....so I'm afraid I wont be helping anyone again this year either. If I can physically push them myself then I'll have a go.....but that'll be about it.
                      Beautiful sentiment, if we were all like you the world would be a better place I'm sure...

In past winters I and many others on here have helped ferry ambulance crews about, dragged people out of snow drifts and ferried people down ice covered roads and you know what, I met nice people and got that warm feeling of doing something good.

I'm sure if your mum, sister, wife, child, whatever were stuck somewhere that you would hope that maybe someone might have the decency to help them, so why not think about that next time you're bleating about 'someone taking a lend'

By the way you dropped this 'of'. Don't waste it, you may need it in another sentence.

Comment

The warm fuzzy feeling doesnt interest me....sorry.

My family all live in far warmer climes.....but they can look after themselves...as I can.......cheers for the 'of'....I'll keep it for later.

Comment

im looking forward to helping people out, one of the main reasons i've bought my car. ordered some strops, shackles and tow ropes ready for the rescuing season
                          www.apmautos.com

Comment

It would be just my luck for something to go very wrong and either end up with a damaged truck which will cost me fortunes to fix or damage someone elses car which my insurance wont cover....I'm sorry, but for me it's just not worth the risk.....if you damage your own car you wont get any help from whoever you were helping to fix what ever is broken...similarly...if you damage someone elses car while trying to save it...the 1st thing they'll do is ask for your details...there'll be no 'Oh, it's ok...accidents happen!'....will there???

Warm and fluffy doesnt exist in my experience....only regret for ever trying to help in the 1st place.

Comment

Warm and fluffy doesnt exist in my experience....only regret for ever trying to help in the 1st place.
                              Is that sentiment in terms of helping in a vehicular fashion or life in general?

Comment

Working...
                              X