Alternator help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator help?

Thanks to the guide on the Aussie tech site I managed to get the old knackered alternator off the Surf today (in between the rather heavy rain showers!).

Haven't put the spangly sparkly new alternator on yet - got a few issues there!

It looks almost identical and should fit once I've got the pulley wheel off - therein lies my problem. See pic:

At the centre is a 10mm head, the bigger nut around the outside of the central shaft is 22mm (I think).

The problem is that I can't seem to undo the nut to enable me to remove the pulley wheel cos whatever I stick on the 10mm head just seems to slip off. Once this wheel is off the vacuum pump will fit on without a problem and I can put the Surf back together again.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions that might help me to get this damn thing off?

I've tried gripping the wheel in a vice and it just slips. I suspect I'll either need to nip out and buy myself a new tool to do it or maybe pop round to my dad's house and raid his garage if I can think of anything that might work...

Thanks in advance for any help, folks.

could you use a six point socket on the 10mm nut and still get in with your 22mm spanner ?

Comment

Is the old alternator for the scrapbucket ?? If so cant you just split it apart, get the other end of the shaft graunched up in a vice and try with the 22mm nut again?
      Сви можемо

Comment

That looks likes there's no way you can mount the vacuum pump to that alternator. Got a pic of both?

Nev

Comment

This any help ...
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ght=Alternator
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Tightly loop an old fan belt over the old alternator wheel, and grip the belt in a vice. If it is tight enough you should now be able to undo the 22mm nut.
            Hope this helps

Comment

I'm with Nev, the pump bolts on, there are no holes on the front bit of that alt.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                I'm with Nev, the pump bolts on, there are no holes on the front bit of that alt.
                The alternator is also drive from the pumps shaft so it will not go into that alternator.

Nev

Comment

Once I've got the wheel off I'll be able to either drill & tap the appropriate holes or just split the alternator and transfer the internals from one to the other.

Returning the alternator isn't an option - I've had it for ages and it would need (expensively) shipping back to the US! It's an uprated 120amp item...

Comment

I doubt changing parts from one to another is possible. You seem to have an alternator from a petrol engined model. The vacuum pump has a splined shaft, so how do you mate it to an alternator, without the female spline? Pulley will also be in wrong position as well even if you could somehow attach the vacuum pump.

Nev

Comment

Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        Bugger.
                        yeah, sorry.. Here just took a pump apart for you to take a pic...
                        Attached Files

Comment

yeah, sorry.. Here just took a pump apart for you to take a pic...
                          No worries - that is exactly like the one I've taken off my truck. Trouble is that I'm stuck without transport (well, apart from my mountain bike!) until I can get it sorted and I haven't got any spare cash to sort out a replacement for the time being...

Comment

Well, I have one in the vice that just needs putting together....

Your credit is good for a couple of weeks or so.....

Comment

Well, I have one in the vice that just needs putting together....

Your credit is good for a couple of weeks or so.....
                              Thanks for the offer but I'd rather not owe anyone any money! I'm really not sure when I'm going to be able to afford it for the time being.

I guess I'll just put the old alternator back in and carry on whipping the batteries off every few days to charge them back up again!

Comment

Working...
                              X