Ineffective brakes. Advice wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ineffective brakes. Advice wanted.

Have a new truck. All is well except the brakes.

Brakes really arnt what they should be.

Had some tyres fitted today and asked them to take a quick look at the breaks. They said need new disc and pads. The discs are scored but in my limited experience this does not account for the great loss in braking.

They did not look at the rears drums.

Tried applying handbrake a 15mph to test rear drum effectiveness. There was a gentle slowing but not the usual sudden reaction you would get when applying the handbrake in a car. Does this sound normal in a hilux.

Fluid level is fine. Pedal ha a fair bit of travel before any braking but i dont think they need bleeding.

Advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Matt.n.p; 29 June 2011, 22:23.

If the discs are scored, then the pads can't grip them 100%.

The rear shoes need adjusting by the sounds of it. Pull the handrake on a few times (don't touch the footbrake) to adjust the shoes. If the rears still don't lock up after that, you'll need to get under the truck and turn the adjusters by hand via the oval hole in the back plate. Insert a flat blade screwdriver through the hole (remove the bubber bung) and by feel, turn the adjuster. You should here it click as you turn it. Keep turning it until it starts to get tight, that should be enough to make the rear brakes more effective and give the footbrake more 'feel'.

To take up any slack in the handbrake cable, you'll need a 10mm deep socket and tighten the nut that can be seen near the handbrake lever.

Comment

Buy Toyota disc's & pads & replace the brake fluid with fresh stuff. Hilux brakes arn't the best in the world but a set off new discs & pad + a flush will help & by the sounds of it you need them doing & while your at it check the rears, as for the handbrake it's not designed to lock the rear wheels.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/self-adju...th-pic-160329/

Comment

Handbrake works on the last notch, just before it gets ripped out of the dash... AFAIK it's only there for show!
          Thankfully there is PARK!
          Don't think handbrake has any relation to braking force on the rest of the system.
          First change fluid and bleed properly. fluid absorbs water and gets spongy.
          Braided hoses will help also. Basically take out any slack in the system.
          Don't expect "new car" feel or response to the brakes though! Its a 20 year old design on a heavy truck....

ooh lots of info up there, before I posted!
          Gonna have a go at mine methinks....
          Last edited by Wolfracer; 29 June 2011, 22:22.
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

found this if it's any use
            http://www.ukmot.com/MOT%20test/handbrake.asp
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Hand brake travel seems fine. Its just the foot brake that moves a long way. I appreciate brakes wont be like a sports car, this is my 3rd hilux in last few months so i know how the brakes should be, and this ones a little scary when you need to stop quickly.

Will one bottle of brake fluid be sufficient to fill the system?

Any one have experience with roughtrax disc and pad set.
              http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=171&vid=1467

Comment

1 - Jack the truck up until both rear wheels are off the ground.
                2 - Support the truck on axle stands (if you can't do this, undo step 1 and take the truck to someone who can)
                3 - Chock the front wheels (if you can't do this, undo steps 2 and 1; then take the truck to someone who can)
                4 - Press the foot brake a couple of times to centre the shoes
                5 - Remove the wee rubber bung from the backplate
                6 - Using a flat screwdriver, turn the adjuster until it goes tight and you can't turn the wheel by hand
                7 - Turn the adjuster back until you can just turn the wheel with no resistance from the shoes (this bit can't be described, a mechanic knows how it 'feels')
                8 - Repeat on other side
                9 - Press the brake pedal a couple of times and re-check the wheels still turn freely
                10 - Adjust up the slack on the handbrake cable
                11 - Press the brake pedal a couple of times and re-check the wheels still turn freely
                12 - Pull the handbrake on and check the wheels both lock
                13 - Release the handbrake and check the wheels turn freely
                14 - Take the truck off the stands
                15 - Job done
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Apparently a dodgy LSPV can cause long pedal travel, however I, personally, have never experienced this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Handbrake works on the last notch, just before it gets ripped out of the dash... AFAIK it's only there for show!
                    Don't think handbrake has any relation to braking force on the rest of the system.
                    First change fluid and bleed properly. fluid absorbs water and gets spongy.
                    Braided hoses will help also. Basically take out any slack in the system.
                    Don't expect "new car" feel or response to the brakes though! Its a 20 year old design on a heavy truck....

ooh lots of info up there, before I posted!
                    Gonna have a go at mine methinks....

It's a 'proper' handbrake on 3rd gens.

Handrakes on both gens should be used to keep the rear shoes adjusted.
                    Never rely on just the transmission lock (P) to hold a two ton truck, especially on a hill.
                    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 June 2011, 22:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                      Have you seen a parking pawl?

I'm guilty of not using the handbrake too, but that wee pawl has a lot of work to do!

Comment

@Matt; I got the Roughtrax kit because the brakes in my current 3rd gen were cack; the discs were warped.

Their kit works very well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

[QUOTE=Albannach;723444]1 - Jack the truck up until both rear wheels are off the ground.
                          2 - Support the truck on axle stands (if you can't do this, undo step 1 and take the truck to someone who can)
                          3 - Chock the front wheels (if you can't do this, undo steps 2 and 1; then take the truck to someone who can)

Lol, Only joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                            @Matt; I got the Roughtrax kit because the brakes in my current 3rd gen were cack; the discs were warped.

Their kit works very well.

Hope this helps.
                            Thats exactly what i needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
                              Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              1 - Jack the truck up until both rear wheels are off the ground.

Lol, Only joking.
                              If you're stuck, bring your truck round to me; I'll adjust the brakes for you on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X