Light utility and the LEZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light utility and the LEZ

ok, so have had a few email and phone calls with Toyota, it appears those of us with 4x4 light utility on the log book are stuffed regarding help from toyota.

Heres a snippet of a couple of emails, i have removed chassis numbers and names, i queried them regarding getting the V5 changed to estate car and also if the Surf is the same car as the 4runner as i was told they did sell official 4 runners in the UK for a while.

Thank you for your recent email regarding your Toyota Hilux Surf.

Our Corporate Compliance Department have confirmed that your Hilux Surf is
    correctly classed as a 4X4 light utility vehicle. Therefore we cannot
    accede to your request to list the vehicle as any other classification.

With regard to your enquiry regarding the Toyota Hilux Surf and the Toyota
    Four Runner, I regret that as neither of these vehicles are UK models, and
    we do not hold any details regarding their specifications, I regret that we
    are unable to confirm that these vehicles share the same body type.

I trust the above clarifies our position in this respect.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations Executive

Well thanks for getting back to me, I'm unsure though why you are saying that you classify the hilux Surf as a light utility vehicle?

What is the difference between a Hilux Surf and a Landcruiser or a Rav4 are they both utility vehicles as well?

if the Surf IS a utility vehicle, why are about 50% of he ones in this country classed as Estate cars on the V5 is that a mistake that should be rectified on the V5?

Im not sure how a Landcruiser is an estate car and a Surf is a utility vehicle when the overall concept is the same, you realise that Range Rovers are estate cars, as are Shoguns, Volvo xc90s and Porsche Cayennes and Discoverys?

the DVLA are using the words "4x4 light utilility" to describe a goods vehicle that can carry passengers, is the Surf in your opinion a goods vehicle?

Thank you for your further email regarding the classification of your Hilux
    Surf.

All Japanese imported Land Cruisers, Rav4s and Hilux derivatives including
    the Hilux Surf are classified as Sports Utility or 4X4 light utility
    vehicles. In the UK, the Land Cruiser and RAV4 models are classified as
    sports utility vehicles.

You have mentioned other manufacturers and the classifications they use,
    however we cannot comment on the specification of non Toyota vehicles.

I am sorry that we have not been able to alter the classification of your
    Hilux Surf as requested, but must confirm that the classification of your
    Hilux Surf as a 4X4 Light utility vehicle is correct.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations Executive

I think the trouble is that the definition of utility vehicle is being used in a different way by Toyota and the DVLA

I have a uk spec 4 runner sold by a uk toyota dealer. I dont think she knows what she is talking about!!!

Comment

trouble is i cant get past her to talk to anyone else.

Comment

It's not Toyota you need to worry about, it's the DVLA.
        I had the same problem with Toyota.
        I'm about to send a letter to the DVLA with a few photos of the car (inside and out) and an explanation that it was registered incorrectly when imported and should be an Estate, as they can clearly see it's a 4 door family car rather than any sort of utility vehicle.

If they press me I'll tell them that Toyota UK are unable to comment on imports.

I'll post here with any results when/if I get any.

Comment

Fingers crossed that the DVLA don't jump the other way and then class all surf's as utility vehicles.......you never know!... Seriously I hope this gets sorted and well done for trying to do all you can.
          .... Which was nice.

Comment

Having checked my log book my surf is classed as a 4x4 light utility vehicle. Why are you trying to get it changed to an estate?

If someone has explained this on an earlier post sorry for missing it.
            If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mork View Post
              It's not Toyota you need to worry about, it's the DVLA.
              I had the same problem with Toyota.
              I'm about to send a letter to the DVLA with a few photos of the car (inside and out) and an explanation that it was registered incorrectly when imported and should be an Estate, as they can clearly see it's a 4 door family car rather than any sort of utility vehicle.

If they press me I'll tell them that Toyota UK are unable to comment on imports.

I'll post here with any results when/if I get any.
              I have tried that several times, the DVLA will say the only confirmation they will take is a letter from the manufacturer, hence my long conversations and emailing of Toyota.

Originally posted by daisy710 View Post
              Having checked my log book my surf is classed as a 4x4 light utility vehicle. Why are you trying to get it changed to an estate?

If someone has explained this on an earlier post sorry for missing it.
              From 2012, 4x4 light utility vehicles will be subject to the LEZ (London Emissions Zone) so you wont be able to take them inside the M25 unless they either have filters fitted, currently they run about 2 grand and are only wanrrantied for 3 years, or were built after 2002.

Emissions zones are likely to be introduced in all major UK cities over the next 10 to 15 years, that dont sound to bad untill you look at a map and see how much area the London one covers, I live just on the oustdie of the M25 and travel inside for lots of things, not just going into London.
              Last edited by popuptoaster; 19 May 2011, 15:57.

Comment

It's ok now lol i used the search facility (durrrrrrrrrr) and answered my own question.

I'm quite glad i live in the village of Bumfook in the county of Middleofnowhereville.

I also have no plans to drive anywhere near London, all them city folk make me nervous lol.
                If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

I'd try again and go higher, like others said, she dosn't know what she is talking about, the 4Runner is a UK car. So why should any other info be correct.

Personally, I'd send a letter or to to the DVLA, a few years ago they sent us new log books for a couple of our surfs changing them from Estate to Private/Light 4x4 Goods. I asume they got Toyota UK's ok for that?

Toyota UK have never been anti import vehicles, unless they have changed policy, there really is no legal reason why a Surf shouldn't be rego'ed the same as a 4Runner, same for Prado's and Landcruisers.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I would reply to her along the lines of

Thanks for your reply, please could you get someone who really works for Toyota to reply to me as you obviously don't. The 4Runner was sold in the UK between 93 & 96, I would assume if you worked for Toyota you would have known this. Maybe at least before sending me a generic I can't help answer you would have done some research so as not to make yourself look rather silly, can I quote you on your remarkable reply to the next person I speak to at Toyota or the press.

Or try here

Toyota (GB) PLC
                    Great Burgh
                    Burgh Heath
                    Epsom
                    Surrey
                    KT18 5UX

01737 363633

I had some good response here a few years back on recalls.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

What difference does it make if we are classified as an SUV or estate car on the V5? I mean to us, does it make any difference?
                      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
                        What difference does it make if we are classified as an SUV or estate car on the V5? I mean to us, does it make any difference?
                        It means nothing if classified as Estate or SUV - it's if it is LUV it's a problem as then it is subject to LEZ.
                        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                          It means nothing if classified as Estate or SUV - it's if it is LUV it's a problem as then it is subject to LEZ.
                          Apologies, i read the thread on my phone, and missed the bit explaining about the LEZ...
                          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

I just checked my V5, and it's listed as a "5 Door Hatchback" ?!?!!
                            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

I just called Toyota out of curiosity, you need to speak to thier personal imports division, with your vin/frame/chasis number.
                              Leave a message with the above details and they will call you back. Person I spoke to seemed to know what I was talking about, might be worth a shot for someone with a Surf.
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X