Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEZ letter and filters

Hello all,

Interesting discussion you are all having especially the bit about proving the Surf is an SUV with the DVLA/TfL. That is worth pursuing I love a good fight with a bureaucrat.

On the off chance that they are as immovable as most bureaucrats does anyone know how much it costs to fit one of the filters mentioned in the letter and where in the Uxbridge area can I get one fitted?

I really want to keep my truck (sorry SUV ) if possible.

Thanks

Ben

Comment

Hello - No idea where you can get one fitted but I'm in Ruislip if you want to meet one day

Also check your log book, some are estate cars some are utility vehicles
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

I asked about a filter set up when we had our 2001 Mazda B2500 crew cab 4x4 pickup, they go about 1500 to 2 grand from approved fitters only, and they only have a three year warranty, so i assume they wear out.

We sold the pickup to an exporter and now have the Surf instead, if the log book comes back with Utility on it i shall be getting it changed, i dont care how beurocratic they want to be, its an estate car NOT a van or pickup truck, if i have to take it to VOSA to prove it i will do, the missus loved the pickup truck and the LEZ was the only reason we sold it as we live right on top of it.

Comment

4runner categorisation

Thanks for the info.

I got a 4runner registration number off ebay and ran it through TfL site and it came back as compliant.

I think that I will be having words with Boris' Head of Contracted services who has been nice enough to write me a letter.

Be pleased to meet up for a beer sometime puddlesurfer.

Comment

It's quite funny to see all the London Surf owners saying 'lets ALL Surf owners do this and that'...

Oh, so north of Watford exists today then does it?

Personally I like Lez's and have no idea why you want to argue against them.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              It's quite funny to see all the London Surf owners saying 'lets ALL Surf owners do this and that'...

the LEZ comes right out to the M25 in most places, my daughter and a lot of my other halfs family live just inside the M25 thats why it bothers me. Besides, how long before all big cities get one?

Londons is the result of them having to pay several million pounds a year into the EU as clean air fines and they apply to ALL cities so it will effect lots more people eventually, i dont think Manchester or Liverpools air is all that much cleaner and it will get worse over time.

Its also not set up very well, our 2001 Mazda was identical mechanically to a 2002 model, but because the 2002 models were put through the correct approval when the regs came in they pass and the 2001's dont. I could have hoiked the 2.5 diesel lump out and fitted a supercharged, highly tuned, super polluting 7 litre petrol V8 into the truck and it would have been exempt, so wheres the sense in that?

once again its the people who can't afford, or dont want to buy a newer vehicle that are expected to pay out.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Lez's aren't the same as Lesbians
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

awwwwww.........I have had the surf since 2003. It does not go wrong -essentially its just a ###### good car. Indeed I drove to Stafford and back last December in a Blizzard and never once worried about my safety.

I really want to just quietly keep my surf -but its not looking good. TfL give a list of approved filter suppliers - the supplier in Surrey quoted £2200 just to supply the filter. It will cost more to fit and then get tested by DVLA each year. Out of spite I am considering parking it on the boundary of the LEZ with engine running for the next 8 months with the engine running..

I will try the DVLA hopefully get it changed to an estate car.

Last edited by Gauntlett; 17 April 2011, 08:46.

Comment

mine is listed as an estate car, if they arnt convinced that yours is not then point out the landrovers, rangrovers, jeeps, pajeros, shoguns, VW 4x4's. They are the same as our trucks. I cannot see why the dvla wont change the the body type on the v5 even if you supply photographs.

Its just a mistake......
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Still waiting for a reply from DVLA re; V5. I wondered what the costs involved were in getting the filter added.

Its equal to the value of two have decent old Surfs, even before you add the 20% VAT. Not an option.

"Dear Sir

Many thanks for your recent enquiry regarding emission control equipment for the forthcoming phase of the LEZ.

HJS Germany, via ourselves, offer LEZ compliant filters to suit the Toyota. Approval has been granted by Transport for London for the HJS Sintered Metal Filter with Active Regeneration, which is a widely proven product across mainland Europe.

The price for the conversion is £2,495.00 plus VAT. This includes installation and certification.

For vehicles under 3.5t gvw, a fuel borne catalyst is required to aid regeneration, as our testing programmes have proven that London duty cycles coupled with light vehicles can result in low exhaust temperatures. The fuel borne cat together with heater coils will ensure that successful filter regeneration can take place in all circumstances. Should the filter require cleaning at any point, the on-board warning light will advise the driver...."

Comment

mines non compliant too, are there any green lane routes into london? they wont have lez cameras on them

Comment

could make things awkward when people realise quite a lot of the anticlockwise sliproads on the M25 are in the LEZ.

Comment

Still no reply from dvla....

Comment

Lez

Blown cylinder head has made the conversation with DVLA superfluous. I am now looking for a 3.0 3rd gen which is compliant. It is surprising how many aren't but most of the ones I have seen on ebay which are not compliant are based well outside London so the owners aren't fussed. A couple have asked me what I am talking about when I asked them about compliance.

There's no real reason for them to know I suppose I only know because I got a letter from one of Boris' lackeys telling me about the charges.

Comment

Originally posted by Esilvester View Post
                                Still no reply from dvla....

GOOD NEWS! I got a new V5 from the dvla and I am now an estate car. I hope that has taken me off the list for low emissions automatically. So that's it, I hope! Quite relieved!

Comment

Working...
                                X