roughtrax first bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roughtrax first bad experience

Well I just rang roughtrax about my broken uj, and to be honest to say I'm peed off is about right!
    The woman who answered put me on to someone who knows about them and basically he's told me that there's no way it could have been a faulty part as they are a well known make and he has fitted loads of them so obviously I've fitted it wrong.
    He asked how I fitted it so I said I used a press to pop the caps in. His response was "that's your problem then you used a press to fit it ,they should just pop in with no pressure"
    Basically he's told me he's not even interested in looking at the broken cap as there's no way it could be faulty and its all my fault its failed.

So with a response like that they can go duck themselves and I won't be using them for any parts again. It's a shame really as up until now I've had good service off roughtrax.
    Last edited by animal; 28 March 2011, 20:13. Reason: change of title
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Oh yeah and when I said that you can't fit a grease gun on the nipple to grease it up, he said "yeah you have to grind your grease gun end down to make it fit"

Comment

Mine didn't 'pop in with no pressure'. I used a vice - though they didn't need a lot of force. Don't recall greasing being an issue though. Maybe it depends on your gun.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

of course you have to put pressure to fit them? theres no way the would just 'pop' in..

Yeah, how the feck are we supposed to grease them? can ya get extended nipples? what a PITA...
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

some do pop in, but not these ones. If there was a circlip holding the cap in, i would understand, but this sounds like BS. Call Barry up...im quite sure he would be able to sort something.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I wasn't bothered about getting a replacement sent or a refund as I've now dropped the prop up to proptech who are going to fit a new joint and balance the prop for £40
            It just would have nice for them to say something like "sorry about that , you may have had a faulty one , send it to us and we will have a look at the broken cap"
            But no , all they actually said was" they're made from toughened metal so there's no way it could brake, you've obviously fitted it wrong as they should just slide in with no pressure"

And Apache yeah the grease gun I bought fits all the other nipples no problem but on the new uj the nipple sits right between the 2 caps and the gap Isnt big enough for the end of the grease gun to get to it. So I had to remove the nipple and use a small bit of pipe to get the grease into the joint

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              some do pop in, but not these ones. If there was a circlip holding the cap in, i would understand, but this sounds like BS. Call Barry up...im quite sure he would be able to sort something.

Sounds like Barry is on holiday, he wouldn't have said those things.

Comment

Odd that. Sounds like a different design as there were no issues greasing the joints on mine.

Comment

yeah, the nipple is right inside 2 of the caps, there's no way to get a standard nozzle to fit in between the caps, i've still not managed to get any grease into mine - only the grease they come with..
                  www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

It was some time ago I did mine. Wonder if I fitted angles nipples? I did have some lying around at the time...

Comment

Did both ujs on my rear prop with RT ones, slid in with slight pressure from a vice and they came with angled grease nipples.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        Odd that. Sounds like a different design as there were no issues greasing the joints on mine.
                        It's fitted wrong am afraid {as is vida's}, when in properly you can get in to grease it easily.
                        Brian

Comment

Got to say I'm with the others on here who had no problems with Roughtrax UJs. I found my biggest problem was getting the old ones out. The new ones went in very easily and the caps were an easy press fit with a vice. It sound like Animal may have pushed the caps in far to hard as you do not need and should not use a 15 ton press to put the caps on.

As fror the grease nipples, mine came with angled ones and yes, it is dfifficult (if not impossible) to get a standard grease gun in there with the prop on the car, but that's to do with the size of the arms of the propshaft, not the UJs. I've just done mine as part of a mini service and I could not get the end of my large grease gun in there but I have got a small hand pumped grease gun with a small end that fits in there easily, so I always use that to deal with the rear prop UJ grease nipples.
                          Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                            Got to say I'm with the others on here who had no problems with Roughtrax UJs. I found my biggest problem was getting the old ones out. The new ones went in very easily and the caps were an easy press fit with a vice. It sound like Animal may have pushed the caps in far to hard as you do not need and should not use a 15 ton press to put the caps on.

As fror the grease nipples, mine came with angled ones and yes, it is dfifficult (if not impossible) to get a standard grease gun in there with the prop on the car, but that's to do with the size of the arms of the propshaft, not the UJs. I've just done mine as part of a mini service and I could not get the end of my large grease gun in there but I have got a small hand pumped grease gun with a small end that fits in there easily, so I always use that to deal with the rear prop UJ grease nipples.
                            That's the thing though, it hardly took any pressure to pop them in, they slid in with just a slight push but the bloke at roughtrax is telling me you just slid them in and clip them in place by hand.
                            The nipple on it was short and not angled at all so was virtually impossible to fit grease gun on.
                            As I said originally though the thing that annoyed me was the attitude of "there's no way in hell it was faulty cap , you've obviously fitted them wrong" without even listening to me fully

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                              It's fitted wrong am afraid {as is vida's}, when in properly you can get in to grease it easily.
                              I dont think it can be any other way though? the design is in between the caps, not on the side like the old ones, a long nipple would do it, but standard ones, fitted or not, will not fit a normal nozzle in between the caps to press on, you can only just about reach the tip of the nipple (ooeerrr!) before it gets too tight..
                              www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X