expecting the worst!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
    Probably get me more abuse, however, oil/engine flush is a bad idea IMHO.

Many cases of engines failing within days/weeks of engine flush. I don't trust the chemical clean contents of the flush in an engine.
    Ditto.
    Engine flush should be left on the shelf next to the snake oil.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Ditto.
      Engine flush should be left on the shelf next to the snake oil.
      I used to work in a Ford garage we partially drained the oil then used paraffin to flush. Cheaper than engine flush and does less harm.

Comment

I've flushed this with ATF (1/2 pint to old oil run for 30 min) with no ill effects twice in four years, OP says he has contamination/mayo, personally I'd want any cross contamination out of both oil and water, he could put through a 5lt of cheapo oil n run that for a few miles as an alternative to get the crud out. H

Comment

stevo and his team did mine ,same day fitting service runs like dream now,had it done last october 2010 levels the same now as the day it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis View Post
            I used to work in a Ford garage we partially drained the oil then used paraffin to flush. Cheaper than engine flush and does less harm.

Are you suggesting others do this?

Anyone reading, please ignore this utter nonsense, it will most likely #### your engine up.

I pity the poor #######s who visited your garage.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Well at long last I got my head off - about 8 hours work over 3 nights in total - taking my time and putting bolts in individual labelled palstic bags.

quite suprised at what i found. this is picture of top of pot 2nd away from bulk head ( pot 3?). all other pots are in pristine unmarked condition (well except for black carbon marks) but this pot is well and truely gone. heavily pitted and the wee swirl chamber cover is cracked. the other 3 chamber covers are also cracked. is that normal?
              the top of the piston for corresponding pot is also lighty pitted but not as bad as cyl head.

intresting to note the lack of gum/gunk/soot on head and pistons - as i have ran this engine on SVW / WVO / home made bio for last 100,000km.

i think water must have been leaking into this pot for a while - judging by the cavitation pitting.

The purple/pink spots around valves on picture are from a dye pen' test to check for other cracks - non found.

Well just ordered new head with fitting kit and other odds and sods - total £900. - hopefully arriving tues morning.

wish me luck on refitting!!

Last edited by jaky cakes; 19 March 2011, 20:03.
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

That crack between the combustion chamber and the valve is almost identical to how mine cracked,but I did'nt have the pitting!!

Good luck with putting it all back together,I'm sure you'll be fine ,but if you need anything,just shout!!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                  all other pots are in pristine unmarked condition (well except for black carbon marks) but this pot is well and truely gone. heavily pitted and the wee swirl chamber cover is cracked. the other 3 chamber covers are also cracked. is that normal?
                  the top of the piston for corresponding pot is also lighty pitted but not as bad as cyl head.

i think water must have been leaking into this pot for a while - judging by the cavitation pitting.
                  Yeah, that's been running while cracked for ages to be as bad as that.

Small cracks in the swirl pots are fine and normal, but you'll get new ones in new head anyway.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X