torsion bar adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsion bar adjustment

Dose any one know witch way i need to turn the bolt and about how many turns for 3inch ? Starting to get ####ed off with my front being lower than the back lol .
    http://www.mudmuppet.com

Clockwise,I'm just doing mine now!!!

I'm getting about 1/2 " lift for each complete turn,but I think the general advice is don't wind the fronts up by more than 2"!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

right so i jack the truck up with the wheels still on the turn the bolt 4 complete turns each side right ?

Comment

Lift the wheels just off the ground to relieve the tension on the torsion bars,and turn,just do it a couple of tiurns at a time!!

Comment

PUT IT ON AXLE STANDS FIRST!!!!!

Get the wheels off the floor so there is no tension on the torsion bars then wind them up.
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

You'll need more than 4 turns. I think Alan did mine 18 full turns on each side, that gave me about an inch and a half lift.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              You'll need more than 4 turns. I think Alan did mine 18 full turns on each side, that gave me about an inch and a half lift.
              Thanks for that!!

Someones has messed with mine in the past so I did'nt know what the starting block was!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

With your track record Luke.....DONT TOUCH IT!
                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

you know what i'm not going to just spoke o a mate who wok's in the garage down the road and he's going to put it on the ramp and do it 2moro

Comment

You either need the weight off the front wheels, or to be built like Arnie, so ramps are no good.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

he's done them before so just going to leave him to it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        You either need the weight off the front wheels, or to be built like Arnie, so ramps are no good.
                        Originally posted by lukenemma View Post
                        he's done them before so just going to leave him to it lol

So you get information from Apache who knows these trucks far better than your mechanic. You answer is "just going to leave him to it"

No wonder people think you are a bit dim.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          So you get information from Apache who knows these trucks far better than your mechanic. You answer is "just going to leave him to it"

No wonder people think you are a bit dim.
                          To be fair here, When a garage says they will put something on a ramp, to do a job like this, they dont mean ramps as the DIY home mech uses to get the truck higher they likely mean it will be on a 2 or 4 post lift,for access and comfort and Im reasonably certain they would then jack up the front end and do the job.
                          Hes called dim if he tries to DIY, and hes called dim by giving it to a garage and leaving them to it. I can,t read Apaches mind but theres good chance he was thinking home mechanic ramp when he said that.
                          Garages put cars on so called ramps all the time to do work, but if that work involves jobs which mean front wheels off, ( strut replacement for example) They still jack the vehicle up as appropriate
                          To continue in the being fair mode, you and I have hovered around this place long enough to guess that Apache may know a bit about Surfs, but the OP is pretty new and for all he knows we are all Wikiboy bluffers.
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Who is this Apache bloke?

Doesn't he ride a pushbike?

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I'm sure Luke meant "lift as in 2 or 4 post" as opposed to wheel ramps!!

And Apache, even arms like 2 Arnies wont prevent the sress on the bolt shearing it off as one of the fella's on HPOC found out almost to his cost!
                              Without lifting the front wheels that bolt is under enormous tension, when it snapped he couldn't find one end, until he opened his truck and found a hole in the floor and the end of said bolt embedded in the underside of the seat!!

Alan
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X