Finally, I'm a Surf Toyowna!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, I'm a Surf Toyowna!!

Hey there all you happy toyowners out there, I will start by saying that I felt very welcome, the first time I arrived on this site, and have subsequently found it to be a wealth of information!!

Thank you all who have taken the time to post trouble shooting guides and photos, not to mention modifications such as the ADD vacuum/jubilee clip fix.
    (Which I have already completed, thanks to the info from you guys here on this forum

My lovely (new to me!) 2nd gen 2.4 Turbo, (non-intercooled), 2 door SSR Limited Surf.
    Much as I was, (and still am!) Ecstatic when my dad turned up on the driveway with it, it does require some time to sort out a few little problems.

He said the back door didn't work properly and didn't open, and that the first thing I should do, was to check all the transmission, and engine oil levels, then I needed to figure out why it wouldn't start, and was seemingly losing power from the battery. It was then that I discovered the 'Bordel' of cables and wiring that was just 'Shoved in' any old how, Everywhere!!!

There are and appear to be more and more evident 'modifications' that have been done over the course of the trucks life, and latterly as it was a recovery vehicle till the last owner had it, apparently just 4 running around in. (He neglected to mention that it was totally down on power.)
    That, turned out to be a combination of holey vac pipes, and the air cleaner hose was completely Knackered, so i changed it for one I just happened to reclaim from an old VOLVO!! lol
    Anyway, so, I lubed up the back door mechanism and cleaned the switches in the centre console, and put it all back together and it's fine.

Checked all levels, all fine, and what looks like very clean fluid in the front diff,. (as it appears that it hasn't been used in a loong while.)
    Removed, cleaned and tested the 4wd switch on the transfer box lever, all good. Removed, (3 times!!), and cleaned/relubed and tested the electric motor which engages the front prop on the transfer box. The motor physically turns/works, however, I'm not confident that it's receiving the right, if any signals from the 4wd computer under the ash tray.

Also as I have hearing difficulties, listening for clicks of relays etc, is a little tough. Especially as there are several clicks after turning the key.

As I am not terribly proficient in the use of multimeters and all the electronic side of troubleshooting, I don't know if the 4wd computer is still operational or is 'Compused'/Dead. I don't know.

And living in Brittany makes 'just' finding another, (preferably a working one,) quite difficult to come by, without losing gold teeth and limbs etc.

I have also found that the bottoms of both doors are totally rotten on the lower skins, and so am wondering, wether to just resin and glass fibre repair them, or completely replace the pair. Or if just the 'skins' are available,
    do that. I need a front bumper indicator, (not side light), and a rear light lense, just red and orange, both on the passenger side.

It also seems to be missing the A/C system. Not that it's the end of the world or anything,... Yet. But one thing that does make thing difficult, apart from zero history, is the fact that the fuse box cover by the throttle pedal, is non existent, which reminds me. When I was checking the fuses, I found one which had fine copper strands bridging the contacts!?! As the fuse box cover is missing, and I removed the 'Mod'ed' part of the fuse, I have no idea which slot it was. However, all fuses are 'currently' ok.

Any advice would be more than gratefully recieved.

rob
    Everything happens for a reason, and only one way....
    The way it does!

Hi And welcome
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hello welcome - wow that was an essay!
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

hi

Comment

Thanks once again, yes, one could easily say that it's an epic post,..
          It was pretty much everything I could think that I had done etc.

One question I would like to ask is if anyone has mod'd the transfer case engagement mechanism to a manual type function, or if it's better to wire in a seperate switch to bypass the 4wd computer?

And if so, how difficult is it to do? (Either option)
          Everything happens for a reason, and only one way....
          The way it does!

Comment

Not to sure what you mean, but there is a mod, that involves removing all the vacumn pipework. Do a search for add modification...and hello.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Hi n Welcome to the Asylum for insane Surfer's, well some of us are ...

Jess
              "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Welcome to the Site mate hope you enjoy your stay with us.
                Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X