yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drivers of 4x4 vehicles should pay double to enter the London's congestion charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers of 4x4 vehicles should pay double to enter the London's congestion charging

Here we go again, I just wish all these jealous people would get a life and stop trying to make us pay for our toys!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3890101.stm

Originally posted by truckarms
    Here we go again, I just wish all these jealous people would get a life and stop trying to make us pay for our toys!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3890101.stm
    don't bother me... never go to that hell hole in the car!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I try not to go there either,
      It does seem though that the bbc has a slight hate campaign on 4X4's at the moment, there were a couple of other threads yesterday also, so much for being impartial!!!

Comment

I, unfortunately, work in London. It's OK in the day, when I can dump my nasty, dangerous, vegoil guzzling 4x4 on the outskirts and get the tube in.

I have to drive in at night and I find the bullbars useful for protecting the front of my vehicle from damage by drunks who are determined to bounce off the front. OK, my truck takes up twice as much parking space as the Smart car but the footprint is about the same as one of Kens beloved black cabs.

Maybe the yogurt knitters should be allowed to continue this debate. I dread to think who they are going to pick on next if they win this one.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

(quote) Meanwhile a report by the Liberal Democrats says drivers of 4x4 vehicles should pay double to enter the zone to cut pedestrian injuries and pollution.

Lib Dem spokesman Lynne Featherstone, said: "Four-by-four vehicles in city centres are a danger to pedestrians, a potential hazard to other road users, can cause more damage than any other type of car and takes up more road space, so increasing congestion.
          The mayor, who has previously called 4x4 drivers "idiots", also said he would look into whether it would be possible to charge them double.(end quote)

I also drive a truck,go fishing and smoke in public places (that allow it) and have been know to use firearms (in a sporting context)

I MUST BE PUBLIC ENEMY no.1
          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

If they've done a research/poll on the dangers of 4x4's, where's the results? Surely they must have done the same thing for motorbikes ie: chimps on courier bikes/bicycles who weave aimlessly through traffic, disregarding all laws. "White van men" etc who think they have the right to straddle 2 lanes wherever there are 2 or more lanes and drive around in "rubber" vehicles bouncing anyone or thing off of them who get in their way. If they are hell bent on getting some revenue and cleaning London up, and feel it necessary to pick on a particular type of transport, then they would do well to collar some illegal immigrant or down and out, B.O smelling, greaseball mini cab driver in their clapped out, smoking, rattling, un-insured, un-licensed, highly unroadworthy Nissan Bluebird etc.......rant over sorry

Apologies to any pukka mini cab drivers out there.

Comment

That Prat Ken needs to get into the real world

Hic Give me another Gin Bartender
              Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                That Prat Ken needs to get into the real world

Hic Give me another Gin Bartender
                He needs to get into a Surf. That'll put a grin on the miserable gits moosh

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                  He needs to get into a Surf. That'll put a grin on the miserable gits moosh

he needs to be under a Surf
                  I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                    he needs to be under a Surf
                    nah... i was there tonight and i don't reckon he'd be very good company!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Lib Dem spokesman Lynne Featherstone, said: "Four-by-four vehicles in city centres are a danger to pedestrians, a potential hazard to other road users, can cause more damage than any other type of car and takes up more road space, so increasing congestion.
                      My Surf takes up no more roadspace than my Renault Laguna.

Surf = 460cm x 177cm
                      Laguna = 470cm x 177cm

So it does NOT increase congestion.

The BBC does appear to be anti-4x4
                      Last edited by icsys; 13 July 2004, 21:59.
                      Ian
                      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

I heard on the radio tonight that 20% of cars on the road in London are being illegally driven. They are either not taxed, insured, MOTd and/or the drivers have no licence. That's an easy way that they could get 20% of the traffic off the roads. They could target the illegal drivers and not us law abiding citizens. When caught without any of the above bung 'em staight in the crusher...............maybe the cars too!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

How will they choose?

So how are these people going to ban vehicles choose which ones to ban?

For example:

1) How will they deal with vehicles that have a 4wd variant and 2wd variant - such as Audi TT, Fiat Panda, 4-Runner, VW Golf Syncro, Ford Sierra, most pick ups?

2) Will they ban a Suzuki Jimny (which is tiny) but not a Volvo C70?

3) Will they ban all Subaru's? Even the tiny Justy?

4) If fuel consumption is an issue, will they ban vehicles which do less mpg than 4x4's? In the case of the Nissan X-Trail (diesel @ 39mpg) - then this will be most cars.

Weird.....................

Actually - not a bad idea - you don't need a car in London. Go for it, Ken - ban every powered private vehicle within a 5 mile radius - then no-one will have congestion to worry about!!

Comment

Hey, wake up surfers; stop being so rude and defensive and start being more reasonable. Yes, i have a 4runner, and yes i agree with Ken. These vehicles do not belong in towns, especially those with bullbars. Obviously, how the vehicle is driven will have a major effect on the final degree of danger, but these accessories are not required in the city. Perhaps if you are a farmer, but even then you're hardly likely to use you shiny surf for rounding up large animals.

Also, stop blaming everybody else (eg white van drivers, couriers etc.). Start by driving extra politely. It might even lower your blood pressure and prevent some of the more rotund from expiring early.

If you want to protect your right to drive a two ton vehicle (and i do) then it's a good idea not to p*** off those who are looking for reasons to take away those rights.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotommy
                              Hey, wake up surfers; stop being so rude and defensive and start being more reasonable. Yes, i have a 4runner, and yes i agree with Ken. These vehicles do not belong in towns, especially those with bullbars. Obviously, how the vehicle is driven will have a major effect on the final degree of danger, but these accessories are not required in the city. Perhaps if you are a farmer, but even then you're hardly likely to use you shiny surf for rounding up large animals.

Also, stop blaming everybody else (eg white van drivers, couriers etc.). Start by driving extra politely. It might even lower your blood pressure and prevent some of the more rotund from expiring early.

If you want to protect your right to drive a two ton vehicle (and i do) then it's a good idea not to p*** off those who are looking for reasons to take away those rights.
                              You obviously havent driven in London. "These" vehicles have as much right to use the roads and to have as many bells and whistles on them as the owners wish. The point is, once again, the minority get picked on by the green eyed bigots who dont like the fact that somebody has got something better than they have, and because some pompous little t*t sitting in a nice cushty oak lined office with nothing better to do than think up ways of pi$$ing the common worker off, thinks they have to be right. Lets hope you dont have a beard or a tash , cos next week theres a bill going through to have them taxed, otherwise the wearers of the above will be forced to shave or be imprisoned.

Comment

Working...
                              X