Getting Rid of Bodywork Logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Rid of Bodywork Logos

Looking for advice on getting rid of the 'tasty' body logos (HILUX and SURF specifically. TURBO can stay)..Know they don't affect performance but come on we all know what we know and love without being constantly reminded.

Anyone taken theirs to a garage for removal and have good/bad accounts, or braved a diy job??

I guess rubbing it off with wire wool is out of the question ...ha ha

------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Aparrently, they come off with a little heat - hairdryer or something... But in pics I've seen (I had thought it was Dandownunder's rig, but I just checked out his site and the pic I was thinking of wasn't there - must have been another guy with a blue gen2 - it was in his back yard or something) you can still kind of make out the outline of the lettering after it's been taken off...

Mark
    :

Comment

Not done it, but I'd guess hairdryer followed by a bit teecut would do the trick. I agree some of the massive SURF side logos look horrid

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
        Aparrently, they come off with a little heat - hairdryer or something... But in pics I've seen (I had thought it was Dandownunder's rig, but I just checked out his site and the pic I was thinking of wasn't there - must have been another guy with a blue gen2 - it was in his back yard or something) you can still kind of make out the outline of the lettering after it's been taken off...

Mark
        Twas me.

They come off with a hair dryer or you can use a removal tool that fits on your drill.

Do a search for sticker removal, think you will find where the tool comes from.

Hardest thing to get off is the glue afterwards, I used white spirit and a PLASTIC scourer. Then paint renovator and lots of polish.

Cheers

Comment

my best mate used to fit logos to vans, he said that you should use a hair dryer to heat the plastic and peel it off. then use white spirit to remove the glue.

he said to GO SLOW! thats the key apparently!
          2nd time unlucky with an import

Comment

yep the hairdryer does the trick, took a logo off the suzi. do it slowly and it should come off in 1 go, rub with a cloth and white spirits to get the glue off and t cut, sometimes all depending on the light and angle you can c the outline very faintly but then i was toooo lazy to t cut it.....
            lets go get dirty...

Comment

where's gemini these days with his "sticker removal tool" pic?
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses

A wallpaper stripper heat gun and a cold chisel it is then!!!!!!!!
                Look out! Ee

Comment

sticker removal

beware the paint under the skicker has been protected from the weather and sun for a long time, you will see the marks indefinately. even after a good t-cut.

Comment

Use a pressure washer set to pencil spray to get the main graphic off then use a rubber wheel mounted to a drill set to 2000rpm and it will all come off perfectly. After that use some cutting compound to ease the perfectly restored paint into the rest of the paint. The rubber wheels can be bought from good paint / bodyshops for about £9.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                      where's gemini these days with his "sticker removal tool" pic?
                      was just thinking the same thing!

Comment

I will do it for him.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is there anything other than white spirit or the rubber wheel (don't have drill to hand) that gets the glue off.

Stickers came off no problem with hairdryer last night, but the glue, ohmigod, took over 1 hour with cloth and white spirits just for the S of Surf!!!
                          Look out! Ee

Comment

only seven hours to go then

Comment

Wipe the glue with white spirit and wait a fews seconds to let it soften the glue.
                              Then rub with your thumb. Alot of the glue comes off ,just keep doing this .

Took me 20 mins to do my hilux surf
                              I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X