6mm wheel spacers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6mm wheel spacers.

Is there enough free thread on the standard wheel studs to be able to use 6mm spacers safely ? These are basically just a ring of 6mm ally with 6 holes for the studs to poke through.

Will be using alloy wheels with them.

Cheers,
    Rob.

Not with alloy wheels and i would doubt even with steel wheels, besides the ammount of width gained aint worth the risk, best option is a deeper offset rim, second is proper spacers with extension studs, heavy trucks to be relying on the wheel nuts only being on a few threads
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I though the spacers have their own studs on? So you fix the spacers, bolt in place, then fix n bolt your wheels to the spacers?
      www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
        I though the spacers have their own studs on? So you fix the spacers, bolt in place, then fix n bolt your wheels to the spacers?
        thats right they do, well the better ones do, there are some one- fits- all cheapos about where the spacer has slots and you screw on extension studs then slide on the spacer then the wheel, of course you cant tighten up all the extension studs as the hex part has to lighn up with the slots so they aint too good
        good quality spacers have the studs fixed into them, you fit them useing the nuts provided to the original studs and then fit the wheel to the spacer with your original nuts, much stronger but better still is to fit deep dish rims, this gives ya the wider track look with less stress on the original studs,
        on some split rims it's possible to reverse the spider makeing the inner part of the rim the outer part,
        i did it on these 3 piece rims
        Attached Files
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Cheers Popeye,

I've already got the 30mm spacers but was going to sell them when I put my new alloys on but my new alloys have a 4" backspace and I want them to have 3.75" backspace.

Guess I'll just have to keep the big spacers.

Rob.

Comment

I have these. Not really sure what the point of them is? 6mm isnt much. I used them on both my surfs as the first one came with them and the rims were 3rd gen alloys. Never had any issues.

Edit: did you mean 60mm spacers? Disregard the above if so.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I've seen spacers fail too often to trust them, I would def not use them offroad.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Just found something I never knew existed. Wheel nuts with a sleeve that extends the thread onto the stud.

Maybe the 6mm spacers are an option after all ? (look a bit like the standard alloy nuts)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                  Just found something I never knew existed. Wheel nuts with a sleeve that extends the thread onto the stud.

Maybe the 6mm spacers are an option after all ? (look a bit like the standard alloy nuts)

Let us know when the wheels fall of will you?
                  Alan

Comment

Will do

TBH I've got more faith in the 6mm spacer / sleeved nut than my R'trax 30mm spacers as 1 of the studs in them stripped its spline last time I torqued up the nuts. Had to grind nut off and order a bigger splined stud to replace.

Why do you think the sleeved nut / spacer won't work ?

Comment

60mm or 6mm?
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        I've seen spacers fail too often to trust them, I would def not use them offroad.
                        As I said in my previous post.
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                          60mm or 6mm?

6mm

Comment

Whats the point with that? I must be missing something..
                            ps I have these very thin spacers, and used them off road with standard wheel nuts etc. Even managed to dog leg the rear wheels and nothing fell off.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              As I said in my previous post.
                              You've seen 6mm spacers fail ? Did they have extended wheel studs or were they on the original ones ? What actually broke ? Did the whole wheel sheer off?
                              Were they the R'trax type ones?

Reason I'm asking is there's never been anyone on this forum have a spacer lose a wheel afaik. Yes the studs seem to be cheap enough to sheer easily but no crashes caused.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X