Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on the Surf Needed!!

Hi All
    Could do with some advice on the surf ??
    After trawling through info on different 4x4's I have taken a shine to the surf I'm looking for a allround vehicle for work (ceramic tiler) rest (family) and play (rough shooting)
    Instead of searching through all the technical jargon I thought I'd go straight to the the people in the know ?

Work
    As a tiler I have my basic tools to carry along with tiles(every now and then) and adhesives most of which are powder based (have concerns about lack of torneau cover and open cargo space)
    Rest
    General running around with the family and also a 500 mile round trip (mainly motorway) to collect my son once a month (mpg)
    Play
    Rough shooting no major off roading but some pretty muddy woodland tracks,fields etc

Any advice will be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Load covers are available. most rear windows are tinted as well, The Surf will go anywhere other 4x4's will go (with the appropriate tyres)
    MPG, expect about 20 around town, 26 on a run, 28 driving like a girl.

All IMO of course. (and I'm talking about the 3.0 derv motor)
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

What John just said, but also, you might want to consider the fact that when you're loading the rear, the 2nd gens rear window must be lowered, and that the tailgate swings down like a pickup.The 3rd gen tailgate hinges upwards out of the way.Hope this helps....Cheers....Mick.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I love my surf! Its a 2.4 manual. I use mine for work as a hedger and gardner, I prefer the rear tailgate but have removed the spare wheel so would suggest getting an underslung spare!!! I've had the back loaded to the hilt with granite a few times and it pulls away like it was empty. Only advice is your long round trip... I always drive steady, the surf isn't a go fast vehicle a 3rd gen might be more of a motorway vehicle. If you test drive any just listen to the engine, they just don't sound happy over 65mph but if your not a fast driver you'll love it!!

Comment

Mine sounds sweet as, at any speed, 2nd gen 3 litre, on a long run I sit at 55-60 and get around 30mpg, it bores the t!ts off me trundling along but saves a bit o dough, its nippy enough if you boot it but needs a big wallet if you drive faster than 65, around town I ignore it, low 20's at best. H

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt66 View Post
            Hi All
            Could do with some advice on the surf ??
            After trawling through info on different 4x4's I have taken a shine to the surf I'm looking for a allround vehicle for work (ceramic tiler) rest (family) and play (rough shooting)
            Instead of searching through all the technical jargon I thought I'd go straight to the the people in the know ?

Work
            As a tiler I have my basic tools to carry along with tiles(every now and then) and adhesives most of which are powder based (have concerns about lack of torneau cover and open cargo space)
            Rest
            General running around with the family and also a 500 mile round trip (mainly motorway) to collect my son once a month (mpg)
            Play
            Rough shooting no major off roading but some pretty muddy woodland tracks,fields etc

Any advice will be gratefully recieved

Thanks
            The weight of the tiles would be my main concern. The rear shocks need to be in tip-top shape. Weak shocks is asking for trouble.
            The gurus on here can give you more details of weight that can be safely loaded in the back, as I'm still learning about the Surf myself.
            Regards
            Tony

Comment

I would change that last comment to rear springs,not shocks.The surf is known to run a saggy arse,but uprated springs are the safest,cheapest and best way to sort that out.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

I've had no problems carrying quite heavy loads, in fact, if it can get in there the truck seems better weighted down slightly, the back of mine is always quite loaded all the time with tools,(large toolcase) trolley jack, oils, tins of stuff n distilled water, pretty much everything I need to make a roadside repair if needed. So I wouldn't be worrying till it was at the 1/2 ton mark as far as lugging gear is concerned. H

Comment

Before i got this truck (which has heavy duty springs) i put 15 packs of heavy duty laminate flooring and loads of tools in my 2.4 and went off to work in london, she sat slightly lower than normal but drivewise I didn't even notice the weight!

Alan
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

i'm in the tile business too

dont fix them any more tho

only just squeezed a rubi tx70 in the boot without the seats being folded down

as tiles are getting bigger we've got a loan tx1200 and no hope in back, so would be on show - guess it depends on how many tools you have tho

weight wise i've had a few bags of sticky in the back and it didnt notice it at all, but if i was still fixing on a permanent basis-not sure it'd cope as good as a van

as a general all rounder tho, they are brilliant...

Comment

They will carry a good weight in the back. If you push the boundaries of what's sensible it'll look like this:

But that was a bit extreme.

I only went a short distance and was careful on roundabouts, etc.

Still pulled like a train and the brakes were fine. Headlamp aim would have been an issue at night. The load was about the same as what the Surf weighs though...

Comment

I got a better overloaded pic than that. Will have to try load it up somehow!!!

Comment

This is when I filled the back up (seats down) with rubbel. I only drove half a mile to the tip there the supervisor burst out laughing and informed me or a quater ton loed limit per vehicle lol. But the nice chap let me tip anyway!!! Think I might get some of those 2" lift springs for the rear soon. I have read good things on here about them and good for £60

http://m1104.photobucket.com/albumvi...f5l0E%2F3yw%3D

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                            They will carry a good weight in the back. If you push the boundaries of what's sensible it'll look like this:

But that was a bit extreme.

I only went a short distance and was careful on roundabouts, etc.

Still pulled like a train and the brakes were fine. Headlamp aim would have been an issue at night. The load was about the same as what the Surf weighs though...

What's that black thing on the roof??

Comment

welcome dude

am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                              X