Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random snorkel thoughts

Since fitting my Snorkel,

(i) My air filter is a lot lot cleaner, gave her a pre winter service and the filter is mint.

(ii) I think she is slightly faster top end wise, Ram air effect or am I imagining things (snorkel intake faces forward)

Back in the day Baby

hiya do you have a diy one or a propper one? and have you seen any increse in mpg?
    need more power! ;-)

Comment

Mine is a "proper one" I have the air intake forward facing, makes a nice noise. I think performance is better but fuel consumption is still 21/22 mpg...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

All you need now is a 3" diameter exhaust to off-set the extra air going in, and it'll be a really fun drive.

MPG would go down though.

Comment

Where did you get your Snorkel from and how much was it please?

Search function seems to be out! Maybe it's all the excessive use i've given it in the last few weeks !!!!!

Comment

You think air going in at a few extra mph makes any difference at all when there's a turbo compressor in the way?

O...........K.............

There's no real ram air effect at normal car speeds. All that extra pipework *probably* impedes flow thanks to friction, though it's likely to be as negligible as any imagined ram effect.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I've always been told that diesel like nice clean air from higher up rather than that low down "dirty" air. Don't know how much truth is in it.

Comment

It sounds more fruity tho
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Sounds unlikely TBH...

Given the turbulence on a busy road, the air quality 3ft up is likely to be the same as it is 6ft up.

Comment

sounds like a pig farting down a drain pipe mate with the sun roof open anyhow
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                      sounds like a pig farting down a drain pipe mate with the sun roof open anyhow
                      As I said

Fruity
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Well as a few thoughts...

(i) a Turbo is not driven directly by the engine, surely an increased in air pressure at its intake will have an effect,

(ii) the cross sectional area of the air duct i removed would be the roughly the same cross sectional area or less of my snorkel, so maybe better air flow.

(iii) Stick you hand out of the window at 50 mph and feel the force...this is whats been forced down my snorkels throat as opposed to sucking air in from behind the front headlight with no ram air action

Back in the day Baby

Comment

take out the inner air felter its not needed now
                          ya feel a better at setting off but thats about it
                          try it mate

Comment

When you're whizzing along at 50mph, put your hand over the snorkel inlet. That's vacuum. Ergo, the speed the air is going in isn't increasing the pressure at all. It's still vacuum. The turbo is sucking MUCH MUCH harder than the air going in. In order to end up with positive pressure at the face of the compressor you need to be going very much faster.

Cross sectional area being the same is great, but what about skin friction on the interior of the now longer pipe? More pipe of same diameter as original = greater restriction, but like I said, its negligible.

Just because you can feel wind against your hand and it feels significant to you doesn't mean its significant compared to the volume of air your engine swallows at 3000rpm.

George, the original filter IS needed. There isn't one in a snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              When you're whizzing along at 50mph, put your hand over the snorkel inlet. That's vacuum. Ergo, the speed the air is going in isn't increasing the pressure at all. It's still vacuum. The turbo is sucking MUCH MUCH harder than the air going in. In order to end up with positive pressure at the face of the compressor you need to be going very much faster.

Cross sectional area being the same is great, but what about skin friction on the interior of the now longer pipe? More pipe of same diameter as original = greater restriction, but like I said, its negligible.

Just because you can feel wind against your hand and it feels significant to you doesn't mean its significant compared to the volume of air your engine swallows at 3000rpm.

George, the original filter IS needed. There isn't one in a snorkel.
                              sorry thought it was filtered like mine

Comment

Working...
                              X