No announcement yet.

Random snorkel thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am amazed, the BBC have not had Horizon producers on to this forum.
    They are missing all sorts of programme content.

At the very least Toyota development should have a look, they are missing some really good tricks
    Brian

Comment

Indeed..

Agreed the turbo is sucking hard but surely anything that eases its job will effect engine performance, if my snorkel makes it easier for the turbo to get a denser charge.

If not then those who buy and sell free flow air filters etc are wasting their time.
      Would a Bugatti Veyron gave the same performance if the air intake to its turbos were a garden hose..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by western uk View Post
        Good job , that looks like it works all K&N and all, the suck and blow sticker must work well. Very ingenious of you and so cheap!

Thanks for the pics
        it works old pics now tho

and i little vid
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

http://www.lcool.org/technical/120_s...rformance.html

It's still the internet, like most things, believe or not at your discretion.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'd say the only benefit is the fact that the turbo will have to work a little less hard, therefore decreasing spool time therefore decreasing lag and therefore giving a little extra torque lower down the rev range. However, I'd say the benefit is negligable and would be negated by having a full tank of fuel for exapmle.

Comment

Lets not forget, the whole point of fitting a snorkel is let you safely wade bonnet high rivers or pools, anything else is just for posers and a waste of time.

Our 3.0 has a Safari snorkel, green cotton filter, uprated injectors, runs 14psi boost, and 3" exhaust, and is still slower than it was stock on 31's thanks to the 33" tyres, big metal winch bumper, and 100,000miles extra wear since we got it.

Untill some sticks a stock truck on dyno, then fits a snorkel and sticks it straight back on the dyno, anything else is just guessing.

I can see in theory why a snorkel and forward facing intake would improve the factory setup, but like I said eariler, its probably very marginal in the real world

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
                Indeed..

Agreed the turbo is sucking hard but surely anything that eases its job will effect engine performance, if my snorkel makes it easier for the turbo to get a denser charge.

If not then those who buy and sell free flow air filters etc are wasting their time.
                Would a Bugatti Veyron gave the same performance if the air intake to its turbos were a garden hose..

It's the exhaust that makes the turbo spin and compress the incoming air.
                If the exhaust can expel the gasses quickly, the faster the turbo can spool.
                To speed up the exhaust gas flow, a free-flowing or larger bore exhaust needs to be fitted. Add to the mix a less restrictive intake set-up and the throttle response is vastly improved. Even a 2.4 will spin the rears tyres in a straight line launch.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 20 October 2010, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  It's the exhaust that makes the turbo spin and compress the incoming air.
                  Precisely. The inlet doesn't have a massive effect, unless its very restrictive.

A 2% measurement difference of a rolling road is in the noise (or within measurement uncertainty tolerances as we say in the trade) so I'm inclined to say that the dyno results posted are debatable.

I still suggest that there is no appreciable ram effect at road car speeds, particularly as the snorkel isn't designed to produce such effects, just to prevent water going into the engine.

A real ram inlet is a very precise structure with a very precise contour, tuned to work within a certain speed window, not just a forward facing hole. TBH, a forward facing hole is just as likely to impede flow as it is to increase it due to turbulence and resonances within what is after all an 'untuned pipe'.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

A real ram inlet is a very precise structure with a very precise contour, tuned to work within a certain speed window, not just a forward facing hole. TBH, a forward facing hole is just as likely to impede flow as it is to increase it due to turbulence and resonances within what is after all an 'untuned pipe'.
                    I agree with that, my snorkel may have a gaping mouth but what goes on inside is probably an aerodynamic disaster..

I just feel that for what ever reason, possible ram effect or just a bigger CSArea intake wise my surf seems very slightly quicker, but its all subjective..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

I agree with that, my snorkel may have a gaping mouth but what goes on inside is probably an aerodynamic disaster..

I just feel that for what ever reason, possible ram effect or just a bigger CSArea intake wise my surf seems very slightly quicker, but its all subjective..
                      It may just that you had a light lunch that day.

Just out of interest. My other half comes from Newtownabbey. My BIL still lives there.

Comment

Could have been ...

Spotted blue Surf in the local tescos carpark, they are a rare beast over here..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          .....a forward facing hole......
                          snigger...

Comment

Could have been ...

Spotted blue Surf in the local tescos carpark, they are a rare beast over here..
                            Ha Ha Ha that was me mate, its a small world!!!

I seen your truck too (obviously), it's a mean lookin beast. The snorkel definitley stands out and looks like a good job......cool.

2 Buddies of mine own Surfs so thats the potential for 4 in the same place at once. Plus i know of another that sits in Belfast Harbour. This could be another RARE Surf combination

Comment

I had to do a double take, is that another Surf... yours looks good, your wheels are cool, mine are a bit of a mess....

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Working...
                              X