Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for that info mate.

This £15 subscription pays for the forum stickers as well then does it ?

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      You can upload an image to Photobucket or similar and attach it on here in a post.
      Forum stickers are sent out as soon as you cough up the subscription fee.
      That's very subtle Vince, cough .....

Jess
      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

• Hi mate,
        Yeah i just coughed up the 15 for the subscription

Comment

• Originally posted by Apache View Post
          'I wont do that'...
          he'll do anything for love, but he won't do that - there's a song in there somewhere

Western, you need to contact Koi, with your address etc so he can send you stickers
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

• Has anyone ever blue printed a Surf, you know gas flow, polish and port the head?

I suppose you would also need a bigger exhaust and possibly a new air filter to help it breathe?

Just wondering if anyone had gone to this trouble and what the results were?

Cheers.
            Its all about the journey not the destination.

Comment

• OK just being serious for a moment, I have been reading this post with great interest. I would really like to increase the power output of my 2.4.
              Having read all the helpful info on here I spent last night adding some genuine tuning stickers to it. And it was raining hard, so it was not an easy job.
              Anyway, I finally got the job done around midnight, so was pretty excited to see what results I had achieved.
              Well, to cut a long story short, there was no change in the acceleration or pick up at all. I didn't have any way of measuring precisely, but I stuck a couple of posts in the ground (where the nettles are growing up near the front wheels). Nothing. I literally didn't move.
              Now this forum has been pretty useful up to now, so I'm guessing that it must be something I am doing wrong.
              I was wondering, will I have to put an engine back in to see the best results - or should the stickers just help on their own?

Comment

• Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                I was wondering, will I have to put an engine back in to see the best results - or should the stickers just help on their own?
                Get really thick stickers and with a good wind you may get moving
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

• What sort of stickers did you use then ? Did you check the Um2 drag efficiency ?

Comment

• Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                    Get really thick stickers and with a good wind you may get moving
                    But if I make the stickers too thick then I am going to start losing the weight advantage that the absence of an engine is currently giving me. Also I am quite worried about the effect of turbulent airflow. Maybe I could offset that by getting a bigger spoiler and a bodykit?

Like this?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• With Mk3 3.0 soot-blower ownership looming ever-nearer, I was wondering if fitting a bigger intercooler would make a noticeable difference?

Of course, I am not expecting to re-write my "2 tonne 4x4 not fast shocker" headline but our neighbours lads work at a turbo/intercooler rebuilders - they were showing me the engines in their Glanza and reckon that fitting a bigger intercooler would not hurt, even on a barge like the Surf.

I've heard the Volvo ones are good, and there's a Volvo breakers near me.

Would it possibly affect the fuelling map in the ECU?

Erm... Is there an ECU for ignition?
                      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

• Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post

Erm... Is there an ECU for ignition?
                        LOL, if you had ignition there would be.

Seriously, even without messing with the ECU intercoolers are good, they increase combustion for the same fuel mix as cooler air is denser so you get better burning of the fuel.

You should find you'll need less throttle for the same RPM/load, cos you're getting more power out of each cylinder of fuel.

The reason for altering the ECU or injectors is to allow more fuel to be added to match the increased air, furthering the efficiancy.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• What you need to do is fit the stickers near the front of the truck to promote early separation of the boundry layer airflow, then when it re-attaches it will likely remain laminar, thus reducing drag.

Old aircraft truck, used to great effect on the Mustang and many others since
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

• Thanks for the advice so far.

I remember, in my mispent days as a Golf GTI fetishist, that some chaps had managed to get an insane improvement in performance from the VW diesel engine by replacing the intercooler with one from a Cessna. Apparently they are of a much more efficient design and dropped the engine temp so much that they ended up down Army & Navy looking for a engine-shaped parka for it.

Apache, I heard there wasn't anything mechanical that couldn't be achieved with gaffer tape and cable ties, but I guess Surf Stickers are the new Gaffer Tape 2.0. You are a shoo-in for The Noble Prize for Physics this year, I salute you.

I do hope they are cut in such a way that the airflow is Eigenvectored? You can charge more then. I am also considering, in place of the usual decorative winch, using one of those piezo campingaz lighters to pre-charge the airflow over the vehicle and thus reduce the effects of air friction on the bodywork.

I'd have to gaffer-ta... I mean Surf Sticker the handle shut, of course...
                            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

• what a laugh...

ok so its an old thread, and came up when searching gearbox atf changes but it made me laugh.

and for the record, i put club stickers on both my stagea and skyline, and they got at least 10% faster as direct result. (at least the police seemed to pay more attention to the cars)

Comment

• Ahhh, nice one resurrecting this! Laughed a lot again!

We never did find out how the 210bhp from a 3.0 was done did we?
                                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                                X