yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riveting a roof rack onto Surf with sunroof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riveting a roof rack onto Surf with sunroof.

I'm deciding whether to buy a roof rack from someone breaking his Surf. He has it riveted on to just the skin of the roof with Rivnuts, seems to take a fair weight and is solid. His Surf didn't have the sunroof though and mine does. So my question is;

Is this okay to do on a roof with a sunroof? Obviously staying well clear of the area the sunroof slides into, is there anywhere else not so obvious I should not drill into? I wasn't sure the metal would be as thick on a sunroof-ed roof as a non sunroof-ed roof and not be suitable to rivet into. Anyone know?

Cheers, Mike.
    1993 SSR-X 2.4TD (with sunroof)
    Love Surfs, know nothing.

Have A look for my roofrail thread, it shows pictures of the roof from the inside with the lining down which will give you a better idea. Personally I wouldn't trust a roofrack with just rivets.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Roof Rails

Cheers for the reply, have taken your advice and not gone for the rivetting idea. When I grow a set of Kahuna's I'll take the roof lining off and install roof rails.
      Love Surfs, know nothing.

Comment

Roof Rack

I have got a roof rack I removed from my car. It was attached by clamps and is a pretty solid piece of kit. I have posted some pictures on my thread about Bull Bars. Have a look it may save you some work.......

Andrew
        Attached Files
        Off road holidays in France. [url]www.dora4x4.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by dora4x4 View Post
          I have got a roof rack I removed from my car. It was attached by clamps and is a pretty solid piece of kit. I have posted some pictures on my thread about Bull Bars. Have a look it may save you some work.......

Andrew
          That looks like the genuine Toyota unit. If so it clamps using gutterless roof mounts in the rear doors, rests on the roof at the rear, and fixes to the rear window wiper.

You are able to get gutterless roof mounts for roof bars, Thule and a few other makes do them .

Very old photos, from when she was cleaned at least twice a year.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
          X