Heat Tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Tape.

Hi all, a very good morning to you. Q: Is it ok to use heat tape to patch up a hole in the exhaust? and if so how long will I get away with this for?

What's 'Heat Tape'?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Not sure if 'Heat Tape' is the correct term for it but its the tape you use on exhausts, usually bikes with exposed parts to aviod being burned. I dont know if this stuff will actually seal a hole or not.

Comment

Ah right. I don't think that will seal it, that's just a wrap. Exhaust bandage (from Halfords or the likes) is your best bet. How long depends on the severity of the leak and the quality of the repair, anything from a few seconds to a few weeks.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try instead. If i do a decent job it should hold me out until payday!!!

Comment

Depending on which part is holey.. I have most of the exhaust system for a 3litre second gen I just replaced that you are welcome to for £40 collected. The tail pipe is rusted through (and snapped off hence the replacement) and one of the pipes has seen better days.

If you want to post your email address I'll send you pics from my phone. I'm in Surrey so depnding where you are in Berks it could be doable. I'm away from Fri so would have to be tomorrow evening if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiholic View Post
              Thanks, I'll give that a try instead. If i do a decent job it should hold me out until payday!!!
              Yep, if it's a hole in a pipe, it can be sealed using an opened up coke can, some gun gum and 2 or 3 jubilee clips. Open up the can (take the top and bottom off then cut down the sides (be very very careful, it's sharp!). On the pipe where the leak is, slabber some gun gum on. Coat the inside of the cola can with gun gum and wrap it round the pipe. Use the jubilee clips to hold it all in place. If you do this right, it will last for a few months.

If it's a silencer, use gun gum around the hole, coke can opened up to support the repair (coated as above), and bandage to hold it all together.

If it's where a pipe goes into a silencer, I've never successfully repaired one of those leaks!

Comment

Thanks for offer but currently in Bradford! lol I'll probably find one on ebay pretty cheap or I might bite the bullet and get a NEW one. Cheers anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X